• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

Thank you all for your additional vibes. It means a lot to both Dash and I.

Dash was not happy when I was giving him the Critical Care, so I persisted even though he and I both got messy. Dash only wants greens, yet I must limit his greens in an attempt to get him to eat more hay which has larger fiber pieces in an attempt to get his cecum to empty more. He is putting on his best begging act, still I have to be strong.

Has your Vet suggested giving a stool softening laxative to Dash ? In the UK some Vets believe that Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws water into the bowel thus softening the impacted mater, is useful. But other Vets do not agree and believe that Lactulose may cause dysbiosis. All I can say is that IME with a Rabbit with a cecal impaction is that Lactulose and fluid therapy are what got him through a really bad bout.

Hoping that the improvement in Dash's output continues xx

It is so difficult to resist a begging rabbit. By bigger pieces of hay do you mean longer or thicker?

Has your Vet suggested giving a stool softening laxative to Dash ? In the UK some Vets believe that Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws water into the bowel thus softening the impacted mater, is useful. But other Vets do not agree and believe that Lactulose may cause dysbiosis. All I can say is that IME with a Rabbit with a cecal impaction is that Lactulose and fluid therapy are what got him through a really bad bout.

Hoping that the improvement in Dash's output continues xx

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. I will ask my vet if this is something that I should have on hand for the future, or something I could safely try if other protocols do not work.
Dash's cecum area is much smaller today. He is also hopping around more, especially to come to me and beg for greens which I am limiting.
He always makes larger/oval poos, yet the ones he is producing now (after the giant jelly covered poo he initially passed) are still different from his usual poos, much darker and waterlogged (still shaped, yet like sponges holding water).
Today I started to cry happy tears as he was playing tug of war with me over a green (he won), something he would do with his late littermate Evan.
For a bunny who is less than 1kg, he is quite strong, in more ways than one. I know many bunnies would have given up during this last illness.

It is so difficult to resist a begging rabbit. By bigger pieces of hay do you mean longer or thicker?

Longer may not matter because the bunny chews it into smaller bits anyways. All hay will contain coarser, less digestible fiber than many fresh vegetables and pelleted foods. Large fiber pieces actually take less time to pass through the bunny's digestive system than smaller pieces of fiber and other items.

In my prior posts, I noted that Dash had a lot of urine on his rear during his latest ordeal. As I was checking him overnight his wet area is quite large, above and below his tail and on his tail. I felt some matts so I took a blunt scissor and clipped as much as I could as I distracted him with some greens. His skin is red, though no areas of broken skin. I just took his litter out of his litterbox and replaced it with a big fluffy towel covered with soft cotton quilt batting.
I don't know what I can put on his skin to sooth or protect it, that would be safe it he ingests some. I have some Bag Balm ointment (greasy base and originally intended for cow udders) that I used for my own chapped hands and wonder if I can put some on Dash.

Last edited:
I think I've always used the non pain relief Neosporin for things like urine scald and hock sores, but I see no reason why bag balm can't be applied as long as it's rubbed in so he doesn't ingest much if any. It's so like petroleum jelly I don't know what it would do if it were to enter the GI tract. Most likely grease the works up a bit and if loose stool is a worry I'd hesitate. Maybe consult with your vet on this one?

Hoping Dash will be back to himself completely before long. xxxx

I think I've always used the non pain relief Neosporin for things like urine scald and hock sores, but I see no reason why bag balm can't be applied as long as it's rubbed in so he doesn't ingest much if any. It's so like petroleum jelly I don't know what it would do if it were to enter the GI tract. Most likely grease the works up a bit and if loose stool is a worry I'd hesitate. Maybe consult with your vet on this one?

Hoping Dash will be back to himself completely before long. xxxx
I would only apply a thin layer. First, I have to verify it would be non-toxic if he licks himself.

Hello RU friends. Dash can use some of those very helpful positive vibes again.
He drank less than usual when I gave him fresh water and cleaned his litterbox on Tuesday night; yet he was otherwise like his Dashing self. His tummy was not firm or doughy. He ate all his greens and begged for more. Early on Wednesday morning, he had poos in his litter box. He ate about 2/3 of the hay he got the night before. He was begging so I gave him a few greens which he ate right away. By late morning I went to give him some more hay and I noticed the quantity of poo in his litter box either did not change from early morning, or it changed very little. I cleaned his litterbox. He also took a couple nibbles of his fresh hay and looked uncomfortable. As a test, I gave him a few greens and he nibbled the greens and jumped away to tummy press. He got motility meds and medicam. After picking up my own prescription, I came home and saw he ate most of the greens he got a couple hours earlier. He got a second type of motility med and sub Q fluids along with a heat pad under one area where he was sitting. He enjoyed the heat even though he was still uncomfortable. I gave him a little more pain meds so he was at the max dosage. This evening he got more of one of his motility meds and I plan to give him more of the other one before he gets some Critical Care. It is 1:25am on Thursday morning and I am very worried. Please send my lovely little Dash some vibes that he can pass some poos. This is presenting similar to his GI stasis in mid June and I am hoping and praying I will see some poos soon.

So sorry to hear that Dash has cause to worry you again. Hope he's starting to pass poos this morning. Sending lots of vibes for him, and for you xx

It is 9:39am and we are still waiting for poos. He got more pain meds at 6am, and fluids and metoclopramide at 7:30am. He will be due for syringe feed and Cisapride later this morning. For now, he is sitting in the corner where I have the heat pad.

It is 9:39am and we are still waiting for poos. He got more pain meds at 6am, and fluids and metoclopramide at 7:30am. He will be due for syringe feed and Cisapride later this morning. For now, he is sitting in the corner where I have the heat pad.

Bless him :cry: Can you hear any gut sounds ? Not sure if you have a stethoscope ? If you have access to a Blood Glucose Monitor then it may be a good idea to do a check.

I have an older version of this

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/performa-nano

Back