• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis-He is gone

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
This morning, after I took care of Gemini the head-tilt bunny with an inner ear infection, I went to give Dash fresh hay and noticed he did not eat most of the hay he was given late last night. Upon a closer inspection, Dash only made 3 poos and hardly drank any water too. He was sitting and tummy pressing too. Dash has chronic intestinal issues as noted in my prior posts. For the past few days Dash has been making even more and larger than his usual poos. He normally makes large oval poos, but some in the past few days were even larger ovals and on Monday I saw some larger log shaped poos. At midnight Dash was enjoying some dandelion greens my spouse picked up for him on his way home from work (the usual store did not have any). The rear of his tummy felt a bit firmer than usual so I gave him Cisapride hoping to get ahead of another serious stasis. Prior to that he had eaten hay, peed and produced poo. This morning Dash would not even nibble on Dandelion greens which he normally eats very quickly.

Before I went to an appointment that I already cancelled once because of Gemini's issues, I gave Dash pain meds, fluids, syringe feed, and motility meds. I even called vet to get approval for higher Medicam dosage to help ease his pain. I also gave him a heat pad under several layers of towel. A few hours later Dash is still not eating and he seems even more bloated/uncomfortable.

I know Dash survived this level of stasis once before, but so did his littermate Evan who I later lost to stasis in December. I am so afraid Dash will follow in his brother's footsteps and not get better.

Please send Dash some please poo vibes. Gemini and I could also use some more positive vibes.

Last edited:
I really hope Dash improves soon, I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs to Dash, Gemini, and hugs and vibes to you xx

I'm sorry to hear that Dash isn't doing so well, I think I would contacting vet again, and see if you can get an appointment. I'm sending him loads of vibes, and for yourself too xxx

Sending vibes for Dash. I hope that you can get to see the vet and get Dash eating and pooping again. xx

Sending lots of vibes for all of you.I hope that Dash shows signs of improvement soon.

Sending lots of vibes for Dash and all our paws crossed for poop xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This morning, after I took care of Gemini the head-tilt bunny with an inner ear infection, I went to give Dash fresh hay and noticed he did not eat most of the hay he was given late last night. Upon a closer inspection, Dash only made 3 poos and hardly drank any water too. He was sitting and tummy pressing too. Dash has chronic intestinal issues as noted in my prior posts. For the past few days Dash has been making even more and larger than his usual poos. He normally makes large oval poos, but some in the past few days were even larger ovals and on Monday I saw some larger log shaped poos. At midnight Dash was enjoying some dandelion greens my spouse picked up for him on his way home from work (the usual store did not have any). The rear of his tummy felt a bit firmer than usual so I gave him Cisapride hoping to get ahead of another serious stasis. Prior to that he had eaten hay, peed and produced poo. This morning Dash would not even nibble on Dandelion greens which he normally eats very quickly.

Before I went to an appointment that I already cancelled once because of Gemini's issues, I gave Dash pain meds, fluids, syringe feed, and motility meds. I even called vet to get approval for higher Medicam dosage to help ease his pain. I also gave him a heat pad under several layers of towel. A few hours later Dash is still not eating and he seems even more bloated/uncomfortable.

I know Dash survived this level of stasis once before, but so did his littermate Evan who I later lost to stasis in December. I am so afraid Dash will follow in his brother's footsteps and not get better.

Please send Dash some please poo vibes. Gemini and I could also use some more positive vibes.
dear bunny momma,-please review this rabbit website,it is the most concise -- http://www.medirabbit.com I know you will find it refreshing..--lots of heavy vibs-for dash--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

Oh no, you really are having a dreadful time at the moment, I am so sorry that now Dash is poorly again. His comlex GI tract issues and those of his late Brother are very difficult to predict and manage. I know from first hand experience with a similar case :cry: Sending millions of vibes for all of you xx

Thank you all for your good wishes and the links to information.
Dash and I had some tense hours yesterday, yet after almost 24 hours from when his stasis began, he passed a log like poo that was the length of four or five of his normally large poos and some extra large poos. Even after passing these first poos, he was not wanting to eat on his own. I monitored him until 2:30am when he began to nibble on his greens/hay and he passed a few more poos (smaller than the first). It was not until this morning that he was begging and acting closer to normal. He will continue to get meds to keep him on the tract to recovery. Like his late brother, Dash can go from being fine to being ill within hours. In fact, this is not the first time he made poos that were larger than us usual poos right before he became ill. I was hoping giving him the Cisapride when I saw the change in his output would have prevented this incident; yet he still got very ill--then again he did recover.

Thank you all for your good wishes and the links to information.
Dash and I had some tense hours yesterday, yet after almost 24 hours from when his stasis began, he passed a log like poo that was the length of four or five of his normally large poos and some extra large poos. Even after passing these first poos, he was not wanting to eat on his own. I monitored him until 2:30am when he began to nibble on his greens/hay and he passed a few more poos (smaller than the first). It was not until this morning that he was begging and acting closer to normal. He will continue to get meds to keep him on the tract to recovery. Like his late brother, Dash can go from being fine to being ill within hours. In fact, this is not the first time he made poos that were larger than us usual poos right before he became ill. I was hoping giving him the Cisapride when I saw the change in his output would have prevented this incident; yet he still got very ill--then again he did recover.

I'm relieved to hear that Dash seems to have come through his latest relapse. I hope he will remain well for as long as possible now xx

Hello RU friends,

Dash is continuing with a positive recovery. Today I stopped his motility meds so fingers (and toes) crossed that he will continue to be his normal self and dash around and poo like here is no tomorrow. He drinks, eats and poos a lot for such a little bunny (0.75kg). Because of his medical condition, Dash's stasis can return very quickly; so I check on him often. Yesterday he was sleeping and I got scared he was not hopping around so I woke him up and got him moving around until I was happy all was good. Dash was probably wondering why I disturbed his dreams of fields of greens (and perhaps a cute girl bunny).

Thank you all for the information and support.

Hello RU friends,

Dash is continuing with a positive recovery. Today I stopped his motility meds so fingers (and toes) crossed that he will continue to be his normal self and dash around and poo like here is no tomorrow. He drinks, eats and poos a lot for such a little bunny (0.75kg). Because of his medical condition, Dash's stasis can return very quickly; so I check on him often. Yesterday he was sleeping and I got scared he was not hopping around so I woke him up and got him moving around until I was happy all was good. Dash was probably wondering why I disturbed his dreams of fields of greens (and perhaps a cute girl bunny).

Thank you all for the information and support.

Phew, so glad that he is doing so much better now xx

Today marks one week since I found Dash bloated and in pain from a stasis incident. In the past week he has given me a couple of mini scares where he produced larger and longer poos than usual. His tummy also seems like it is always fuller than it is normally. I have kept him on a maintenance dose of Cisapride so he does not relapse and have another major stasis incident. He is eating his dandelion greens and hay and drinking well. He still passes the occasional very large/long poo (no visible fur). Last evening he felt bloated to me, yet he was hopping around his pen so much he looked like a gymnast. He reminded me why I named him Dash.

Today marks one week since I found Dash bloated and in pain from a stasis incident. In the past week he has given me a couple of mini scares where he produced larger and longer poos than usual. His tummy also seems like it is always fuller than it is normally. I have kept him on a maintenance dose of Cisapride so he does not relapse and have another major stasis incident. He is eating his dandelion greens and hay and drinking well. He still passes the occasional very large/long poo (no visible fur). Last evening he felt bloated to me, yet he was hopping around his pen so much he looked like a gymnast. He reminded me why I named him Dash.

It sounds as though he is reasonably stable at the moment, thanks to your great knowledge of how to manage his chronic condition. He most definitely sounds to be feeling good within himself, which is great news :love:

I’m glad he is doing well, he’s very lucky to have you taking such good care of him :love:

Back