• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your rabbit do this?

Rosie132

Young Bun
I got him two days ago and he’s very confident. He’s 3 months old and he stays in a pen in my room until he’s litter trained. Sometimes I’ll sit in the pen the other side of him and he’ll come over and climb on my leg and when I stroke him he lets me a few times and then he’ll run away. He will also sprint around his pen when I stroke him sometimes and he will sprint all over me. When I go in the corner he’ll climb on me to go behind me and he likes it there. Am I making progress with the petting because normally he’ll run if I stroke him once or even attempt to and does your rabbit sprint all over you and passed you and if so, what does this mean? Is he frightened?

I'd have a guess at the fact that he is just getting to know you. It's all very new and strange for him and despite his confindence, he will be adjusting to his new life. It will take time to build up his confidence and trust in you so just take it slowly and patiently and allow yourself to spend time with him each day. He will welcome the attention and learn to trust you.

I'd have a guess at the fact that he is just getting to know you. It's all very new and strange for him and despite his confindence, he will be adjusting to his new life. It will take time to build up his confidence and trust in you so just take it slowly and patiently and allow yourself to spend time with him each day. He will welcome the attention and learn to trust you.

That’s what I’ll do. I’ll sit there and he’ll come running over and climb on me and he’ll let me stroke him a few times before running off and then running back. Why does he sprint around his cage and run all over me though?

Hi Rosie, you may want to have a look at this on rabbit behaviour. It'll help you understand a little more about your rabbit and why he's doing the things that he does. I bought it for myself and it's a great book http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/
You may find it helps if you sit quietly with your bun and ignore him, so read a magazine or book. Rabbits are curious and sooner or later he will come and see what you're doing. When he does resist petting him, but instead offer him a treat such as herbs (fresh or dried) - coriander, mint, parsley. Gradually he'll get used to you and won't be scared to approach you for fear of being stroked. One of my rabbits hated being stroked, but now (a couple of years later) he actively comes to me to ask to be stroked. When / If you do pet your rabbit you may want to start just with headrubs, rather than say his body. Good luck, I hope he settles in :D

I got him two days ago and he’s very confident. He’s 3 months old and he stays in a pen in my room until he’s litter trained. Sometimes I’ll sit in the pen the other side of him and he’ll come over and climb on my leg and when I stroke him he lets me a few times and then he’ll run away. He will also sprint around his pen when I stroke him sometimes and he will sprint all over me. When I go in the corner he’ll climb on me to go behind me and he likes it there. Am I making progress with the petting because normally he’ll run if I stroke him once or even attempt to and does your rabbit sprint all over you and passed you and if so, what does this mean? Is he frightened?

none of mine have liked being stroked at all. seems to me they just don't like anything like that....... but after 7 years Poppy has allowed a stroke or 2 - but that's it.
so yes, i think you are making excellent progress!

He is a baby. Babies are crazy no matter the species ^^.
No but, seriously, you've got him two days ago. I generally don't even attempt to touch newbies for the first few days. Imagine yourself being taken to some strange enormous creature's home and then the creature attempting to touch you. I'd run too. If your rabbit wants to climb on your leg, that's great. Rabbits are curious so it's a good way to build a relationship. I would give him something to eat without touching him when he does it to show him being close to you is a good and safe thing to do. It might take weeks or even months for your rabbit to be comfortable letting you pet him. He needs to be sure you won't attempt to harm him or even do unpleasant things like lift him up first. Living with a rabbit is notoriously an exercise in patience, which is why they are such a bad fit for children despite what a lot of people believe.
Have fun with your bunny!

Back