• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for new Rabbit with one I already have.

BlackSkyuk

New Kit
Hi all,
I sadly lost my Mr Willow (Netherland Dwarf) age just 4 Years, vet thinks it was likely neurological. Now I thinking of getting my other Rabbit also a Netherland Dwarf around 4 year (Neutered) a new buddy/s. I would like to know what you all think would be best as I'm think of getting two new buddy's for him. Would it be best to get two does or two ducks or one of each? Also any advice on introducing them. Thanks.

As long as the new buddies have been neutered at least a couple of months before they are introduced, the genders don't matter too much. Sometimes it works better if they can choose their own partner(s) eg at a rescue. Some rabbits just hit it off straight away and others take longer to introduce. Trios are lovely and worth the effort. I would probably go for a mixed pair as a preferred option, but it depends on the individual rabbits and their previous pairings. An existing pair will have different issues to making a trio from 3 separate rabbits, for instance.

Introductions should be done on neutral territory (ideally where none of them have been before, otherwise in a completely cleaned and rearranged area) and fully supervised for at least the first few days until you are certain they have settled. There will inevitably be some chasing and fur pulling while they sort things out between them, but there should be no proper fighting where blood is drawn. That would need immediate separation. Large dog crates or bathrooms are useful for bonding as you can keep an eye on them and get in quick if you need to.

I settle new rabbits in for a couple of weeks before bonding so that they are familiar with you, the new routine, and the surroundings. It gives you a chance to get to know them, handle them, and make sure they are eating OK. Bonding is stressful on everyone.

Back