• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

brown teeth

zahra

Young Bun
today i noticed that my rabbit's teeth are brown! is it dangerous??? what's the problem? he eat and drink well, poop well,play well, nothing else changed, just the color! :(

today i noticed that my rabbit's teeth are brown! is it dangerous??? what's the problem? he eat and drink well, poop well,play well, nothing else changed, just the color! :(
dear Zahra,-brown teeth might not be a problem-however it is very telling of diet here is a website http:// www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from acros the great pond usa

My bridge buns teeth were always white,I do know rodents teeth can be brown/orange.Obviously rabbits are not rodents but pretty similar dentition.Maybe seek vet advice.

Last edited:

from my very limited knowledge, it can signify an issue, what exactly can be hard to tell.

rabbits teeth constantly grow, so if they're growing in brown it might mean theres an infection or abscess deep in the roots.

if its patches or at the end, that could mean a poor diet. what sort of diet is he on? how many pellets, treats, fresh fruit/veggies etc.

then again, rabbits teeth are constantly growing and its usual for them to be a yellow color, it can often darken with age. however I'm not sure if brown would be normal or considered normal.

it may be worth popping to a vet to get a once over to determine what the issue is. it might be something and nothing or it might be an issue.

All of my rabbits teeth have been white. My rats teeth are yellow/orange, if they're white it generally means their diet is lacking in something. Never thought about the colour of rabbits teeth! Sorry not very helpful, I would maybe call the vets for advice?

Rabbit's teeth are deemed to be somewhat 'unhealthy' if they are yellow/brown. So I would get your Rabbit checked over by your Vet. Stained teeth do not always indicate dental problems, but it is a possibility.

My bridge buns teeth were always white,I do know rodents teeth can be brown/orange.Obviously rabbits are not rodents but pretty similar dentition.Maybe seek vet advice.

aha i got it, thank you, as you suggest i should talk to a Vet too

from my very limited knowledge, it can signify an issue, what exactly can be hard to tell.

rabbits teeth constantly grow, so if they're growing in brown it might mean theres an infection or abscess deep in the roots.

if its patches or at the end, that could mean a poor diet. what sort of diet is he on? how many pellets, treats, fresh fruit/veggies etc.

then again, rabbits teeth are constantly growing and its usual for them to be a yellow color, it can often darken with age. however I'm not sure if brown would be normal or considered normal.

it may be worth popping to a vet to get a once over to determine what the issue is. it might be something and nothing or it might be an issue.

you are right, but i don't think it is abscess because he eats well, if it was an infection i think he would be ill and couldn't eat well. about his diet, almost 80% of his diet is dry hay and he eat parsley alot too, sometimes he eats apple or carrot or cucumber and lettuce and mint and a little bit of other greens. thanks for your suggest i should see a vet too

All of my rabbits teeth have been white. My rats teeth are yellow/orange, if they're white it generally means their diet is lacking in something. Never thought about the colour of rabbits teeth! Sorry not very helpful, I would maybe call the vets for advice?

thank you for taking part . right, i should call a Vet too

Rabbit's teeth are deemed to be somewhat 'unhealthy' if they are yellow/brown. So I would get your Rabbit checked over by your Vet. Stained teeth do not always indicate dental problems, but it is a possibility.

yes it is a possibility :( i should see a Vet

you are right, but i don't think it is abscess because he eats well, if it was an infection i think he would be ill and couldn't eat well. about his diet, almost 80% of his diet is dry hay and he eat parsley alot too, sometimes he eats apple or carrot or cucumber and lettuce and mint and a little bit of other greens. thanks for your suggest i should see a vet too

I would disagree, many rabbits have been known to have dental issues and never show pain at all. my vet had a rabbit who’s teeth grew out the other side of her jaw, never showed any symptoms so they had no idea something was wrong until tooth showed up where it wasn’t supposed to be. some rabbits have dental spurs that cause wounds but they don’t show any sign. it is rarer but you do get some bunnies who show nothing. they’re prey animals after all. I think some just have a high pain tolerance!

his diet sounds good, I was wondering if it was rot if he was having overly sugery foods but it seems not.

def get a vet check, I hope it’s nothing x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would disagree, many rabbits have been known to have dental issues and never show pain at all. my vet had a rabbit who’s teeth grew out the other side of her jaw, never showed any symptoms so they had no idea something was wrong until tooth showed up where it wasn’t supposed to be. some rabbits have dental spurs that cause wounds but they don’t show any sign. it is rarer but you do get some bunnies who show nothing. they’re prey animals after all. I think some just have a high pain tolerance!

his diet sounds good, I was wondering if it was rot if he was having overly sugery foods but it seems not.

Oh my God!! poor rabbits :( i didn't know that. thanks for sharing information

i visited a vet today, and he checked up all his body and also teeth, and took a radiography from his teeth to check it out if there is any problem. thankfully there was no problem, he just said that it's better to eat more harder peace of dry hay and a little less parsley. so i was happy that he is fine and i wanted to share the result with you guys, thank you :)

dear Zahra,-brown teeth might not be a problem-however it is very telling of diet here is a website http:// www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from acros the great pond usa

i visited a vet today, and he checked up all his body and also teeth, and took a radiography from his teeth to check it out if there is any problem. thankfully there was no problem, he just said that it's better to eat more harder peace of dry hay and a little less parsley. so i was happy that he is fine and i wanted to share the result with you guys, thank you :)

Back