• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - grieving widowed bun

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm in a rubbish situation and am not sure what to do, so thought I'd come here to ask some advice! Going to be a long one sorry...

We lost our gorgeous old man Tango this week, I am heartbroken but it was kindest to let him go. He did well at 9 years [emoji3059]

His partner Finx is now alone aged almost-9 herself, they were together since I rescued Tango 8 years ago. Finx lives indoors and has regular meds for arthritis. She is eating and is bright in herself but has recently become less greedy and is passing quite small poos - was at the vets herself this week but has now picked back up.

I have two other buns, Doris and Pepper, who live outside. Pepper, aged about 7, used to be bonded in a trio with Finx and Tango, before he and Tango fell out. He is submissive to the girls but confident around people (and bossy towards our cat). Was a house rabbit in a previous home. Doris, aged 5-ish, came from a rescue to bond with Pepper and is dominant over Pepper but generally more timid in every other respect, has always lived outdoors. Doris is a dental bun.

My question is, do I try Doris and Pepper with Finx, indoors? (If I can talk my husband round). I can't put Finx out with them as the cold is too much for her arthritis, and I can't adopt another partner for her as it's not an option financially and I couldn't provide good enough care - Tango's bills were a struggle despite insurance.

Since losing Tango, Finx has taken to spending as much time as she can around Doris and Pepper's run, but I can't stay at home with the back door open as a permanent solution!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’m sorry you lost Tango :cry: I think seeing as Finx and Pepper were part of a trio before it would be worth a try, and keeping an eye on Doris dental bunny might be easier indoors. However, I’d pull the plug sharpish if it looked like it wasn’t going to work, to avoid Doris and Pepper falling out. Have you read the trio bonding sticky and seen mischief and tinkers mum trio bonding videos ? They are really good:thumb:

Hi there, so sorry for your loss. I’m not sure I’d know best either as there’s a lot at stake as you know, but then so much to gain. Bless them. I’d definitely be considering things as you are.

How does everyone react when together in and around the run?
I think I’d use the thinking time to see that she continues to pickup and be well, so if you decide to go for it there’s no possibility of them sensing she’s under the weather etc.

I’ve no bonding experience to draw on but am sure folks will be on later :)

Thanks both for your replies. I've read the sticky but haven't seen the videos, will have a look.

Finx and Pepper politely sniff each other through the mesh, nose to nose, as if they remember. Doris was happily munching hay with Finx alongside her this morning, she has previously chased Pepper while Finx and Tango were out in the garden but since Tango has gone all I've seen is a raised tail, so think her previous behaviour was mostly for Tango's benefit!

So hard to know what to do.

That sounds quite positive doesn’t it. I’ve got to bond a new bunny with my remaining trio bun, Basil and slightly anxious :)

I think I’d go for it and as Zoobec says, separate fast if signs aren’t good. Hopefully OH is ok with indoor trio? :love:

He has caved ;)

He's not a fan of the rabbits at all but even he can see Finx needs bunny company, so I think we're going to try. He even suggested to borrow a small run from family for neutral ground!

Here they are having a little meeting this afternoon.
99e656773adda284b5c9e72a38753e81.jpg

Lovely photos :love: I’m glad your OH is in agreement with trying for a trio of indoor bunnies :love:

So I have officially booked a week off to try the bond - nervous!

Tomorrow Doris has her dental, then I'm off from the 11th. I'm away for two nights in June and my sister is rabbit sitting, so if I'm not confident by then I'll have to come up with a plan, but fingers crossed...

Fingers crossed for you all that it works:thumb: sending lots of vibes for Doris for her dental xx

Fingers crossed for you all that it works:thumb: sending lots of vibes for Doris for her dental xx
Thank you, dental went swimmingly and Doris is back to her usual self. Finx is also eating well and her litter tray looks healthier than it has in a while. Roll on bonding week!

Pleased to hear that Doris's dental went well, all the very best with the bonding next week-good luck ! X

Ok, bonding is on!

So far, Finx has washed both Pepper and Doris, and also humped them both. Now lying down for a rest.

Surprisingly, Doris submits completely and Pepper runs and thumps. Some circling because of this and fur pulled from Pepper but calm for now.

Forgot how nerve-wracking this is!!!

Thank you! One thing I never did get - I always thought grooming was submissive, ie. when one bun shoves their nose down and the other obliges.

But Finx has always acted in charge while also always being the groomer not groom-ee...

Thank you! One thing I never did get - I always thought grooming was submissive, ie. when one bun shoves their nose down and the other obliges.

But Finx has always acted in charge while also always being the groomer not groom-ee...

Aboleth's like that: she'll groom Lopsy whereas Lopsy's just ignorant rather than actively not grooming, I think. She also humps Lopsy, chases him, bullies him for food... Totally henpecked! But she loves him ;P (Some might say it's a mirror to mine and OH's relationship :lol:).

Back