• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fav fruit and veggies?

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
Just wondering for some inspirational ideas to vary the bunns diet. They mainly have lettuce and carrot, I throw in the odd nut bar thing too as well as hay etc etc.

I always get stuck for ideas of what to get them. I tried apple and it didnt seem to go down all that well. They would eat it but not in vast quantities. Tried celery thats was ok.

What do yours love?

Mine get fed supa excel and supa foage and hay.

They get the odd bits of veg here and there but I mainly stick to celery, brocolli and the occasional carrot. My friend gave them bits of golden delicious when she was bunny sitting but I thought that was maybe a bit pricey.

Kim adores spinach but it can given them soft poos so she only gets tiny wee bits as a real treat.

I am not sure about lettuce - I may be wrong but I have a feeling that it is not good for bunnies. I am sure someone else will say if this is the case or not.

lol Pam, Kim & aggie

Carrot tops, spring greens and kale
mmmmmmmmmmmm
goatie3.jpg

Dark lettuce is fine but the light stuff is bad for buns :?
Mine love Spring greens, pak choi, bit of carrot, celery and the leaves, gala apples, parsley and corriander - and they cost us a fortune :shock: Mind you, they are worth every penny :D

Mine all go mad for spring greens and basil is rating very highly with them at the mo . They also love apples, carrots, broccoli, cress, banana and cucumber.

The checkout operators at the supermarket must think I lead a very healthy lifestyle the amount of fruit and veg I buy for the buns!

I used to feed mine lettuce until I was told it was bad for the kidneys so I swapped to spring greens.

I have read conflicting stuff about lettuce. Mine love it and eat iceberg lettuce. They quite happily much away on it and there is no affect that is obivous.

I read that some bunns like it some dont. Much like us really. We can like everything the same.

But this is one reason I wanted to introduce other veggies in so I was not relying on lettuce or carrots.

Hi, Basil oves cauliflower leaves and cabbage leaves. There was cabbage left in a bag in the kitchen on the floor, all we could here was the rustlings of the basil, so i went to investigate and found basil happily munhing away on the cabbage leaf! :lol:
They both love carrots, not too bothered with apples and turned their noses up at banana :roll:

Springs greens are the staple veg in our house. Then they'll have have brocolli, kale, cauliflower, carrot, sprouts and those herb pots if they're on special.

Chris,
I wish it was simple for me to send your Basil a Chrissy present! Cos I found a lovely handmade pottery pet bowl with the name BASIL on it! I bought it anyhow, cos it's one they can't tip over, and I'm using it for my guinea pigs who are not called Basil. I'd give it to a real Basil - if I knew one handy!

Ours go absolutely bonkers for blueberries. They love strawberry tops too, but aren't so keen on the fruit.

Chips likes grapes as well, but pulls very funny faces while eating them.

Thanks bunny hugger, I know about that thread I just wanted to know what people 'actually' feed there buns and what they like.

What constitutes as spring greens?

Will keep an eye out for them Andi, I have heard of them just never seen them. Guess thats what you get for doing the shoppping online.

I would go onto the market today but its Wenesday and the market is closed!!!

Going to try cabbage, broccoli and spring greens me thinks

Will keep an eye out for them Andi, I have heard of them just never seen them. Guess thats what you get for doing the shoppping online.

I would go onto the market today but its Wenesday and the market is closed!!!

Going to try cabbage, broccoli and spring greens me thinks

Sugar and Misty love apple, broccolli, brussell sprouts!! :roll: Sugar likes carrot but will take that out of her bowl in favor of the apple!! Clarissa and Charlie (the guinea pigs) love apple broccolli, sprouts, carrots and they have corn on the cob too!! watching them picking it up and running away with it is funny!! :lol:

The buns are eating a mix very simulair to russell rabbit carrot and leek and the guinea pigs are eating a fruity guinea pig mix. Oh and they have their bedrooms filled with hay which never last very long with the guineas

Some times they will eat green leafs that my mum gets of the market, but not very often.

Flopsy's favourite is parsley, she loves it. :love:
She also likes brocolli,but mainly the knobbly bits, she saves the stalks to see if anything better is coming her way!
She also adores carrot tops, which was OK when Dad was growing them as I'd turn up at his house and 'do him a favour' by pulling all the carrots and relieving them of their tops, but expensive now I have to buy them from sainsburys!!
She now has spring greens (cos they are dead cheap and she seems to like 'em) and carrots mainly.
She likes banana but apples give her tummy trouble :shock:

Parsnip is the current favourite with all but two of our buns. Mojo grabs his bit out of my hand and runs away and hides with it so Grace doesn't get it. If Grace gets her bit first, he grabs it out of her mouth and does a runner, she's left staring up at me and looking as if to say 'Muuuuuuum :( ' :lol: . Sprouts too are popular just now, and blackberries and blueberries.

A funny thing happened to me at the supermarket the other day...

I was stocking up on veggies (carrots+tops, celery, cauliflower (they get the leaves), cabbage, kale, broccoli and spring greens).

Anyway they had a load of spring greens going out of date the next day - reduced!! So I bought three bags.

The lady at the checkout beeped it all through and jokingly commented that I must really like spring greens if I was going to eat it all by the next day!!

I said the rabbits wouldn't mind if they were a little out of date and they would keep quite well in the fridge for a couple of days. So she said is all that veg for the rabbits then and I confessed most of it was then she starts telling me what her rabbits love to eat and how she got a bargin on sweetcorn at the market.

She finished by asking me where I keep the rabbits and I said in the house - she looked very relieved and said "me too"! I think she was worried I was going to think she was mad for having house buns ;) :lol:!

By that time the people behind me in the queue were starting to cough and shuffle about so I had to stop gassing!

Just goes to show there are more of us rabbit lovers about than you think!!

Caz

Back