• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating / shaky this morning

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Our rabbit Bear was lying down, paws in front of him, shaking this morning. He looked a bit grumpy, but that's not massively unusual. He wouldn't come down from the top of the hutch to the run area, or eat. He did hop away when offered food so appears mobile at least, when he's had suspected GI in the past he'd just lie there and not move regardless.

He's an odd rabbit, typically if we wake him up at the wrong time he'll be "funny" for 30 mins to an hour.

Unfortunately, have had to go to work this morning, as he was fine last night we'll see how he is later. Planning to take to the vets if behavior persists.

Any ideas what causes these symptoms?

I am sorry that Bear is unwell. When was the last time you know for certain that he has eaten or drunk? Can you see evidence that he is producing poo and if so, do they look normal?

In my view a rabbit who is not eating and is shaking is quite poorly and should see a vet, both to establish what the issue is and to receive medication. When will someone be able to check on him?

Last night he was completely fine/normal.

Unfortunately can't confirm he is pooing as we have two rabbits.

I agree with your view, my girlfriend will be back home at 4pm-ish and if he's still not well whisk him off to the vets - as we'll know he hasn't been right for a while then. This is probably the 4th or 5th time we've been concerned since getting him nearly 2 years ago. Fortunately, he tends to be OK after a few hours.

Hi all,

Our rabbit Bear was lying down, paws in front of him, shaking this morning. He looked a bit grumpy, but that's not massively unusual. He wouldn't come down from the top of the hutch to the run area, or eat. He did hop away when offered food so appears mobile at least, when he's had suspected GI in the past he'd just lie there and not move regardless.

He's an odd rabbit, typically if we wake him up at the wrong time he'll be "funny" for 30 mins to an hour.

Unfortunately, have had to go to work this morning, as he was fine last night we'll see how he is later. Planning to take to the vets if behavior persists.

Any ideas what causes these symptoms?

Rabbits tend to go downhill very quickly. Your rabbit not eating and shaking probably means his guts stopped completely and that his temperature is dropping and / or that he is in extreme pain. It is an EMERGENCY, you don't have the time to see how it goes and he won't get better by himself (him being fine last night means nothing, having a rabbit be 'normal' when you go to bed and be in stasis when you wake up is a classic). Ileus can be treated but the more you wait the harder it will be and the longer the stasis lasts the more you risk bacteria multiplying in his guts / death from hypothermia. Your rabbit needs and x-ray to rule out blockage. Then he needs Metacam for the pain, Emeprid / Reglan to get things moving, water (syringe fed or by IV) and a heating pad. Can't you get someone to take him to the vet now? If you can't, at least get an appointment with your vet for when you get off work. DON'T WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW.

Definitely won't wait until tomorrow if he's the same. Hoping the girlfriend can get out of work at lunch to check on him, we both have long commutes though which does make it more difficult.

Personally I’d get him to the vets as a matter of urgency, the sooner the better. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks all. The girlfriend is asking her work if she can get home at lunch to check. Will keep you posted. Vets near us always have time for emergencies fortunately

Really hope you manage to get bunny the vets as soon as possible, sending him massive get well vibes xx

The girlfriend has checked on him and in typical fashion Bear is completely fine.

As I said, he's weird... A bit like a 14 year old kid being woken up at 5am lol.

Thanks as ever for help and advice.

I'm very pleased that he appears to be ok now. Very strange, though, and I wonder whether a check-up with the vet might be a good thing.
Are both your rabbits neutered and fully vaccinated?

Yep... Over the past 18 months we've booked him in at the vets maybe 5 times but only had to take him once. Each of the other 4 times have been similar in that he just isn't happy when we wake him up and he needs 30 mins or so to cheer up.

Very weird

I’m so pleased he is ok now. Could it be something that’s spooked him I wonder? My tumble drier can’t be used because it makes Fern stop eating!

Really pleased to hear that he's ok now, they love to worry us ! Yes Zoobec has made a good point, maybe something had spooked him, could even be something outside that he's heard !

I'm pleased to read that Bear is ok. He sounds quite a complex bunny with some quirks. I would also endorce some of the previous advice in that rabbits do and will go downhill very quickly and it is impretitive that their needs over-ride our own because they cannot tell us what is wrong. Quick action with a vet can and does save much heartache at times - especially when it comes to eating so it's important to monitor this.
Would love to see some photos of the bunnies.

Back