• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello!

Hello :wave: My name is Lauren, and I'm about to embark back down the path to house rabbit ownership! Growing up I had house rabbits who were litter trained and (some) were free range around my room, and some had free range of the house. I've had holland lops, rex's, and dutch buns, but next week I'm going to be road tripping to pick up an english lop! My fiancé and I just bought a tiny house, and have a fairly large loft area that is being cordoned off and built to accommodate the bunny (and also be my office space since I'm a freelance graphic designer)...it is also inaccessible to our two dogs (who are great with animals -- but I, personally, still wouldn't trust them around a small animal unsupervised) thanks to the fact that it is only accessible via a ladder, which is part of the reason that I finally feel confident and comfortable enough to get a house rabbit again!

My fiancé and I just bought a tiny house and are currently living in it as we renovate and retrofit it for solar. We're going to be moving it to our property of 40 acres sometime in the next few months before our wedding (we just have to save up for the solar system, new fridge, and a few other small appliances that we need to make it more energy efficient), and are planning on creating a really wonderful and secure bunny run outside for when we're gone during the day (just in case, god forbid, the small window A/C unit we're getting goes out when we're not home!!! We live in Northern California and it reaches triple digits during the summer sometimes), as well as a wonderful garden next to a creek that the bunny can hop around in when I'm home and supervising it! We also have a 4 year old Border Collie x Mini Aussie, a 12 week old Australian Cattle Dog, and five horses, with hopefully a few dairy goats in the not so far off future :D We're very interested in sustainable living, and I am slowly trying to transition both myself and my voracious meat eating fiancé to fewer meat filled meals a week and am also interested in small scale homesteading.

Fall of 2020 we're planning on renovating a 4x4 Sprinter van into the camper van of our dreams. We want it to be as dog friendly and bunny friendly as possible, and plan on actually building a hutch of sorts into the van, and also creating a safe and secure collapsible outdoor run for the bun to hang out in when we're all hanging out outside barbecuing that a) keeps the bunny off of the ground and b) is big enough for the bunny and c) we could tie to the top of the van. If you have any ideas -- definitely shoot them my way!

I just wanted to introduce myself so I could gush about just how excited I am to somebody because my fiancé, family, and friends don't truly get it and are a little confused as to why I'm driving nine hours to get a bunny -- when I could just get one from the local feed store. I would also love any ideas that people have as to how me and my fiancé could store bunny items, and make the tiny house and sprinter van remodel as bunny friendly as possible (we actually found a large, very well ventilated hiking backpack for the bunny to ride in when we hike...and we're workshopping a few ideas of how to camp with a bunny safely. We actually have a friend who does so already and I used to do so with my bunnies and guinea pigs constantly growing up :D )

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: we are all bunny mad here so you have found the right place :thumb: good luck with your new bunny :love:

Hello and welcome to you over there in Sunny California. If you're looking for bunny mad people who never grow tired of hearing bunny stories and oogling at bunny photos, then you've found the right forum. We loves all that here.:lol: Please feel free to continue to update us and follow as many of the posts as possible. And there's nothing wrong in driving 9 hours to get your bunny. Giving a bunny a forever home is an important and special step and the effort more than makes up for it when your bunny becomes integrated into the family. x

Welcome to Ru :wave: glad you found us and hope you enjoy sharing your bunny experiences with us, and photos of course if you are able :D

Re the driving, I’ve done that. We are a strange bunch aren’t we, hehehe :)

A huge welcome, all the plans sound amazing!

Wow your plans sound amazing, looking forward to hearing how things go! Also five horses! Very jealous!

Wow, your plans sound amazing! Welcome to the forum and feel free to gush about bunnies anytime, we all love hearing about their exploits and seeing photos to coo over.

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all! I'm really excited to get this little one -- and am hoping to, in the next few years, pick up an English or German Angora to bond with him (but if they don't bond I still actually already have a place set aside to put a new bunny long term, haha) and also use to maybe spin a little bit of yarn here and there as a hobby :)

Here are a few of the pictures the breeder sent me too :D

33819118628_51cabd0de7_b.jpg

33819121288_589f37850a_b.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all! I'm really excited to get this little one -- and am hoping to, in the next few years, pick up an English or German Angora to bond with him (but if they don't bond I still actually already have a place set aside to put a new bunny long term, haha) and also use to maybe spin a little bit of yarn here and there as a hobby :)

Here are a few of the pictures the breeder sent me too :D

33819118628_51cabd0de7_b.jpg

33819121288_589f37850a_b.jpg
I think I'm in love [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Thank you so much y'all! his ears are rather magnificent, aren't they??? We're picking him up in less than 48 hours (and leaving to get him in about 24 hours!!!...Eek!!!

Back