• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jellybean Slightly Off Her Food

My vet is happy for me to give one of our rabbits Metacam when she's having a bad gas/stasis episode as she's not had an intolerance to it before and I have the dosage for her. I think you need to do what you feel is best for Jellybean. I hope she perks up soon x

Mine too. getting Jelly comfy is the priority. Maybe even split her dose 0.5 now, 0.5 in 12 hours xx

Sending Jellybean some positive vibes for improvement. Jane and others have told you the importance of pain relief.

Allow me to suggest getting her hydrated if she is not drinking a normal amount. Bunny gut contents can start to dehydrate and make it more difficult to move material already in the gut.
If you give her Medicam and she likes the taste, you can use the used syringe (with the Medicam taste/smell on it) to slowly syringe water in her mouth.
Finally, since the vet already gave motility drugs you may try to syringe feed. If you do not have any recovery food, you can mix pellets/pulverized pellets with water.

Thank you for the advice everyone. Here's an update: we gave her 1ml of metacam last night and it does seem to have helped. She is much perkier today, has eaten and pooped and peed in her litter tray. I wouldn't say she is 100%, but she is definitely way better. Susie bun, she is indeed moulting, so that could be a factor. We've only had her since December 2018, but this is the first time she has ever had stasis with us.

Glad she is doing better today. I agree with bunny momma that hydration is important. Is she drinking normally?

Thanks for all of your advice guys. Just letting you know that Jellybean is back to her usual self again. I think the metacam really helped (she had another dose yesterday and today she is right as rain) - I really appreciate that suggestion because I think it helped her to get over the hump. Here's a picture of her this morning with some tasty cabbage :)

20190426_075413 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Thanks for all of your advice guys. Just letting you know that Jellybean is back to her usual self again. I think the metacam really helped (she had another dose yesterday and today she is right as rain) - I really appreciate that suggestion because I think it helped her to get over the hump. Here's a picture of her this morning with some tasty cabbage :)

20190426_075413 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Fabulous news and wonderful photo of beautiful Jellybean:love::love:

Your update and picture of the photogenic JB brought a smile to my face. She is so lucky to have you in her corner.

Back