• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jellybean Slightly Off Her Food

Beapig

Mama Doe
Jellybean didn't want to eat last night and was lying uncomfortably like she was bloated. We gave her a bowl of grass which she did eat a bit of. This morning she has eaten a bit more grass and some hay. She has passed two large poops which are a normal size, shape and colour, but do seem a bit slimier than usual. She has been drinking as usual.

I just filled up her hay bag, and as I am writing this she's picking at it. She clearly has a bit of a GI type upset, but I don't know if it warrants a vet visit because she is still passing poops. She seems a lot better than last night when she was eating nothing, but is still not herself.

I still have ranitidine from previous vet visits. Would it be safe to administer myself, based on the usual dosage, or not?

It might just sound stingey, but I don't want to go to the vet if I can help it because she gets very stressed out in the carrier. Any advice much appreciated!

Sorry to hear Jellybean is a bit off her food. Personally I would monitor her for a few more hours before taking her to the Vets, but this is just my advice! I have never used Ranitidine so can't advise on that. Hopefully it is just a minor blip and she will be back to normal soon.

I wouldn't use anything without a vets medical advise. you don't know if its a blockage so administering a gut stimulant could make it worse, or even kill her in extreme scenarios. you also really shouldn't force feed or similar because if there's a blockage, the food just isn't going to go anywhere.

the problem is is that GI stasis is not a diagnosis, its usually a secondary symptom to something else. that could be dental, being spooked or other illnesses. so its being caused by something else, so its a good idea to check that out.

so I would call the vet now, and book in an appointment in all honesty. I'd rather be safe than sorry. it could be anything, and altho she's passing poops, it might be a sign to something more sinister (or not).

I wouldn't use anything without a vets medical advise. you don't know if its a blockage so administering a gut stimulant could make it worse, or even kill her in extreme scenarios. you also really shouldn't force feed or similar because if there's a blockage, the food just isn't going to go anywhere.

the problem is is that GI stasis is not a diagnosis, its usually a secondary symptom to something else. that could be dental, being spooked or other illnesses. so its being caused by something else, so its a good idea to check that out.

so I would call the vet now, and book in an appointment in all honesty. I'd rather be safe than sorry. it could be anything, and altho she's passing poops, it might be a sign to something more sinister (or not).
Agree with everything Codie has said :)

Lots of vibes for jellybean x

This makes sense. I haven't syringe fed her or anything like that because I wouldn't want to worsen a blockage. She has been eating here and there of her own will. I'll call the vet I think.

This makes sense. I haven't syringe fed her or anything like that because I wouldn't want to worsen a blockage. She has been eating here and there of her own will. I'll call the vet I think.
Yea it might not be a blockage at all, but best to rule it out before syringing and giving meds :)

Poor Jelly & you! Its a difficult call. I agree with BC about no gut stimulants prior to seeing vet. Good to hear she isn't flat out refusing one type of food though. There have been times when my bunnies have presented as gassy & refused all foods but got 'over it' in a hour or two but then they've eaten like nothing was wrong. i'd be inclined to book her in for this afternoon / evening & see if you can get her back on track in the meantime. Have you tried her with any other forage tasties that are out now?

Thank you for the advice everyone <3 We're back from the vet and she is eating some Herb Robert. She had two injections to stimulate her gut, which I hope will kick in properly in an hour or two. These creatures of ours are so fragile...I hate seeing her this way. She is usually a force to be reckoned with! I think my cat is confused as to why she isn't herding him around!

So sorry to hear about Jellybean, only just caught up with your thread. Really hope that the meds will help, lots of vibes being sent xxxx

I hope Jellybean will soon be feeling better. Has she had some pain relief aswell as the prokinetics ?

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

I'm sorry to read this about Jellybean. I hope that the meds help and that she is fully fit again soon.

I hope Jellybean will soon be feeling better. Has she had some pain relief aswell as the prokinetics ?

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

The vet didn't give us any pain relief :/ I do have metacam here which I could give to her. She hasn't bounced back so far, so I'm worried. She has eaten a bit but is still very out of sorts.

The vet didn't give us any pain relief :/ I do have metacam here which I could give to her. She hasn't bounced back so far, so I'm worried. She has eaten a bit but is still very out of sorts.

I'm sorry she's no better. i'd call the vets you saw whilst they are open, say you have in date loxicom & ask them to recommend dose

Sending vibes for Jellybean. And with you in her corner, she will always have the very best care. I hope she starts eathing soon. xx

Give her Metacam (around 0,4ml / kilo). With rabbits, you always have to treat the pain even if it's slight - it's really crucial and she won't bounce back if her tummy hurt (she won't move as much, probably won't drink or eat much or at all which will prevent her guts from working properly). She passed poop very recently (big poops just mean the system was so slow two poops fused) so her guts are just very slow, not completely stopped. In my experience, prokinetics take around 10 hours to really kick in and with pain relief, chances are Jellybean will be back to normal by tomorrow.

I still have the Metacam from her spay which says to give 1ml twice daily for three days. If I gave her 1ml tonight do you think that would be okay? She weights 2.39kg. The surgery was shut so I couldn't call up to check with the vet :( I feel quite infuriated tbh. I saw a different vet today once again - it never seems to be the same person which does not fill me with confidence or reassurance. She didn't say to give pain relief, but my gut feeling was that she should have metacam too - wish I had said something. Does anyone else have this experience at their practice?

I still have the Metacam from her spay which says to give 1ml twice daily for three days. If I gave her 1ml tonight do you think that would be okay? She weights 2.39kg. The surgery was shut so I couldn't call up to check with the vet :( I feel quite infuriated tbh. I saw a different vet today once again - it never seems to be the same person which does not fill me with confidence or reassurance. She didn't say to give pain relief, but my gut feeling was that she should have metacam too - wish I had said something. Does anyone else have this experience at their practice?

My vet is happy for me to give one of our rabbits Metacam when she's having a bad gas/stasis episode as she's not had an intolerance to it before and I have the dosage for her. I think you need to do what you feel is best for Jellybean. I hope she perks up soon x

Back