• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Teddy

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Teddy is off to the vet this evening. He hasn't been right since his last dental. He sometimes sticks his tongue out as though he has something stuck in his mouth and he's trying to get it out. He's also becoming increasingly fussy with his food, completely refuses to eat any kind of hay or grass (although will eat hay cookies). I'm worried about his weight as he's 1.6kg on my kitchen scales (so not the most accurate) when he should be over 2kg. Over the weekend I heard some teeth grinding so gave him some metacam but something is definitely off with him, although he was charging around quite happily this morning so it's really difficult to tell. He had a steroid injection about 4 weeks ago now for his head tilt, I'm worried that his liver or kidney function may be impacted but I've no idea if I'm being paranoid. I'll have to leave diagnosis to the experts!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Will update once he's been. He does his best dead rabbit impression at the vets and I always have to convince the vet this is not normal [emoji23]

Just back from the vet. He's had his teeth looked at and no issues, and she couldn't find any problems with his abdomen. It could be tilt related so we decided to try a vetergesic injection to see if that helps, if not then further tests will be needed. The vet suspects the issues associated with the tilt might be progressing.

I'm a bit worried that he might be in pain and if it is due to his tilt that we may have come to a point where it's either constant medical management or PTS. He actually weighs less than I thought, he's 1.48kg. When I considered the ear op he weighed much more than that and although he's still bright and runs about I don't know if he'd make it through that kind of operation at this stage. But I do tend to have a habit of catastrophising everything in my head when it comes to Teddy so hopefully he will be okay.

I’m glad there weren’t any problems with his teeth or abdomen, but I’m sorry that he’s still a worry :cry: I’ve not had experience of a bunny given vetergesic but I understand that it can have quite an effect on making them sleepy. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

I’m glad there weren’t any problems with his teeth or abdomen, but I’m sorry that he’s still a worry :cry: I’ve not had experience of a bunny given vetergesic but I understand that it can have quite an effect on making them sleepy. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx
He's had it once before and I think he was a bit zonked out, I've also got emeprid in case he stops eating and have given him a preemptive dose.

Hi all,

He seems quite bright this morning, last night he was pretty out of it which I expected. He's normally bright in the mornings anyway (breakfast time!) so it's a bit hard to tell how much relief he's had. I wish I could stay home and monitor him all day but I have to go go work soon!

Saying that just as I write this I think I heard a bit of a tooth grind so now I don't know what to think.

Keeping fingers crossed and sending vibes for Teddy, I'm glad to hear he was brighter this morning x

I've booked a check up for him tomorrow at the vets, it's annoying that I can't be at home today to see what he's up to and whether he's grinding his teeth at all, but I can check on him this evening, he's an indoor bun so lots. Of opportunities for me to bother him. I'm wondering whether to ask for blood tests to see if there's anything else going on with him. I've also been recommended a rabbit savvy vet by a friend so wondering if it's worth going for a second opinion or whether they'll just tell me more of the same.

Back