• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing ideas

Bundozer

Young Bun
When I bonded my continental giant with my dwarf lop I decided to use a playhouse and run for their housing.

I put one of the playhouse walls on upside down so the window opening was lower to allow access in and out.

Pick bins as little trays and a sharing platter for their feed tray.

2 hideaway boxes from pets at home which they love to sit on but their favourite thing at the moment is to flip the lids off and jump in and out of them.

Since setting it up I have also added a tunnel supplied by a local farmer. (https://www.runaround.co.uk)

A raised L shaped balcony that I made using those square wire framed storage box packs (stack and Rack) that people use to make indoor guinea pig cages. It made it easy to attach to the run raised as it easily hooked onto the run. They love dozing on it in the hot weather as it also has a shaded cover over the top of it.

The best rain cover I have found that I use when it is raining is market stall covers. You can get them in various sizes on Amazon and they are heavy duty and clear so rabbits can still see out. Always remember to uncover though in hot weather. They have eyelets in them too so makes it so easy to attach once draped over, especially good for windy weather.

A local farmer makes metal gridded hay towers for rabbits, so I have two of them which hold a decent amount of hay. (https://www.runaround.co.uk)

Ive added some charcoal decking to the bottom as it stays dry when it rains so they can have access to the run and stay dry at the same time when it rains compared to when I first set it up direct on the patio.

A ramp I salvaged from their previous two level hutch so that they can run in and out of the playhouse.

Link shows the pics as I can't seem to be able to add them to the post as pics, but the link seems to work.

https://imgur.com/a/POl13VV

3cAENnL

Mxi4zlZ

wwMX1GX

CPN83rl

Last edited:
Sounds like a really good set up ! I think I may have used those covers a few years ago, I know I got them from Amazon. I attached them to an outside run using bungy cords, as it gets very windy up here, they were great ! I think your buns are going to be very happy :D

Thanks, its been great searching up ideas on here and other sites on housing for rabbits, lots of ideas and can be hard to decide. I was going to add pics to my post to share but it shows i cant do that. Is that just the nature of the forum no one can add pics?

Photos are very welcome but you need a "host" like Imgur. Photobucket used to be the popular one but it's Imgur or Tapatalk. There is a tutorial to show you how to do it in the Forum guides I think.

I've managed to view your photos, that set up looks fantastic ! I can see your bunnies too, they look very happy in there :D

Thanks!

I've managed to view your photos, that set up looks fantastic ! I can see your bunnies too, they look very happy in there :D

Yep after i posted i cant post photos i saw the thread that says how to! Lol

Thanks for compliments on set up. Im a big pinterest fan an trawled through that for ideas on housing too!

Inspiring. Want to make my outdoor set up more exciting. Love the boxes. Got the guinea pig one for one of my hamsters. Bet the rabbits would love them!

Very nice! I'm planning a new outdoor space for mine for next spring (it's Autumn here right now), so this has been inspiring :)

What a great set up! Do you have any pictures of the L shaped balcony that you made with the Stack and Rack? I have some c&c grids that I want to use to make a balcony in my rabbit kennel, but not sure how to go about it...

Back