• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harrison ate crocus leaves... has he poisoned himself?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Feeling very bad... This morning, somehow, Harrison managed to get into one of the high planters and munched his way along several crocuses. He's only eaten the leaves, not flowers or bulbs. I've had a close eye on him all day and he's been fine, but I'm still fretting that maybe something will go wrong... is there anything in particular to look out for? Thanks for any advice or reassurance!

I don’t know if they are poisonous or not but I would call the vet and ask for advice if in any doubt.

Thanks Zoobec. They just said keep an eye on him. He’s fine so we seem to have got away with it and I’ve already removed all the crocuses so we now have exclusively bunny safe plants!

Hmmn mice eat crocus bulbs ,so they can't be that toxic.Sparrows are partial to the yellow flower petals.I know different animals may be affected.

Feeling very bad... This morning, somehow, Harrison managed to get into one of the high planters and munched his way along several crocuses. He's only eaten the leaves, not flowers or bulbs. I've had a close eye on him all day and he's been fine, but I'm still fretting that maybe something will go wrong... is there anything in particular to look out for? Thanks for any advice or reassurance!
dear jolysium,--I found some information-that I thought should be shared,--first things first,-yes I found a listing for [autumn crocus]-toxic plants,-call a rabbit dvm immediately,--the national animal poison control center is 1-888-426-4435--the website is rabbits advocates-toxic plant list and abc,s-of rabbit safe vegetables and fruits,--sincerely james waller from the other kent,wa.st.usa

Mine eat any bulb-plant leaves they think they can get away with and they've always been fine, so don't worry yourself too much! They also eat rhubarb leaves (and actively seek them out, the little retards!) and haven't had any problems but every time is always a worry, I agree :D

Sorry about the late reply - I think Harrison is probably just fine. My rabbits ate some crocuses too. That was last spring. They suffered no visible effect and they are still fine.

dear jolysium,--I found some information-that I thought should be shared,--first things first,-yes I found a listing for [autumn crocus]-toxic plants,-call a rabbit dvm immediately,--the national animal poison control center is 1-888-426-4435--the website is rabbits advocates-toxic plant list and abc,s-of rabbit safe vegetables and fruits,--sincerely james waller from the other kent,wa.st.usa
dear jolysium,--I did a lot of praying,-so glad to keep seeing/hearing everything is ok..--you may have dodged a bullet,..keep up the good work,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

Back