• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire on cage bottom

s.tephen

Young Bun
I have just been to a well known petting zoo in Bicanacre in Essex and the rabbit cages have wire mesh on the floor

I thought this was a big no no, I mentioned it to a staff member and he said that they had been in the cage for 3 years without any problems

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's awful. It's just to make things easier for the staff. Good that you mentioned it though.

If the wire is sitting flush with the ground it's not bad. Grass can grow up through it, and they are standing on the ground as much as the mesh. I really hate seeing raised wire-floor housing though, where all their weight is on the mesh. I can't help but imagine what it feels like to them.

If the wire is sitting flush with the ground it's not bad. Grass can grow up through it, and they are standing on the ground as much as the mesh. I really hate seeing raised wire-floor housing though, where all their weight is on the mesh. I can't help but imagine what it feels like to them.

It’s still bad in my opinion as they can catch a leg or foot in it as the ground is rarely completely flat, also the wire can cause sore hocks.

Back