• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wonky Mouse's Pain Management Diary

Does anybun have any ideas on how to get bunnies to gain weight without compromising digestive health?

I’m glad the vet visit and the burrito went well :love: fingers crossed she will gain weight :thumb:

Does anybun have any ideas on how to get bunnies to gain weight without compromising digestive health?

How old is Mouse and is she very active ? Older Rabbits who may become less active can lose muscle mass rather than body fat. Is she on a pellet free diet ?

Increasing protein intake rather than carbohydrate intake can help with weight gain without upsetting gut function (as too many carbs may do)

As long as her kidney function remains OK then perhaps that approach may help. Alfalfa hay is good for weight gain BUT it is high in calcium so probably not suitable for Mouse.

Just had to smile at that little face all burritod up, bless her xx hope you find a diet to help her, such a beautiful girly xxx

How old is Mouse and is she very active ? Older Rabbits who may become less active can lose muscle mass rather than body fat. Is she on a pellet free diet ?

Increasing protein intake rather than carbohydrate intake can help with weight gain without upsetting gut function (as too many carbs may do)

As long as her kidney function remains OK then perhaps that approach may help. Alfalfa hay is good for weight gain BUT it is high in calcium so probably not suitable for Mouse.
What can they eat that has protein in it?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Mouseypie burrito anyone?

kCUvC5xl.jpg
[/IMG]
Aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Update :) Mouse has been on daily metacam for about 4 months. She had her review at Crab Lane today. Bloods done on site (very quickly) & all values within normal range apart from her calcium which is very slightly raised. Good girl mousey - you've earned yourself another nice bottle of metacam.

She is still on the skinny side though.
That's really good Mouseypie I am ever so glad. Does she like metacam?

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm not sure is she likes metacam or the crackers it is administered on.

JJ- she was rescued as an adult (by police in tiny guinea pig cage - her mum had fatal drug overdose which I have to say whilst sad was probably a blessing for Mouse). She was then adopted for a good while but returned to Camp Nibble when owner chose to rent next home that wouldn't accept pets. I adopted her 4.5 years ago, back then she was guesstimated to be 3-4ys. So 8 years? I feel her bad start is more significant than her age. She is pretty agrophobic, never really exercises for the fun of it. Exercises even less now she hasn't got Boo chasing her about. The only real difference nowadays is she doesn't jump on stuff ...she never won any awards for jumping but she did used to do a bit.

When I adopted her she was 3k which Hannah from CN thought was overweight. She did have a big belly but has always felt bony along her spine. I got her down to 2.8 which my vets felt was a happy weight for her, she is now 2.6 despite a good few months of trying to make her gain. I like the protein idea but no idea what rabbits can eat thats high in protein. Are pea flakes? I guess the most likely protein wild buns would eat would be seeds. Are seeds ok for buns?

Apologies for all the questions.

I think I'm going to try a few oats & switch to junior nuggets - hopefully the extra protein & calories in them might help without having to increase portion size.

I'll make sure future timothy hay orders contain leafy stuff where possible

What can they eat that has protein in it?

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm not sure is she likes metacam or the crackers it is administered on.

JJ- she was rescued as an adult (by police in tiny guinea pig cage - her mum had fatal drug overdose which I have to say whilst sad was probably a blessing for Mouse). She was then adopted for a good while but returned to Camp Nibble when owner chose to rent next home that wouldn't accept pets. I adopted her 4.5 years ago, back then she was guesstimated to be 3-4ys. So 8 years? I feel her bad start is more significant than her age. She is pretty agrophobic, never really exercises for the fun of it. Exercises even less now she hasn't got Boo chasing her about. The only real difference nowadays is she doesn't jump on stuff ...she never won any awards for jumping but she did used to do a bit.

When I adopted her she was 3k which Hannah from CN thought was overweight. She did have a big belly but has always felt bony along her spine. I got her down to 2.8 which my vets felt was a happy weight for her, she is now 2.6 despite a good few months of trying to make her gain. I like the protein idea but no idea what rabbits can eat thats high in protein. Are pea flakes? I guess the most likely protein wild buns would eat would be seeds. Are seeds ok for buns?

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. Pellet feeds have different protein levels. Pellets for growing/breeding Rabbits have a higher protein content than those for Adult Rabbits

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Readigrass has a higher protein content to hay and different varieties of hays have different protein contents

https://www.sbhayandfeed.com/nutritional-values-of-various-hay-types/

Last edited:
I somehow managed to miss this thread :roll: really interesting to see how Mouse has improved.

Thanks Joey and boo for your advice via PM. I went to CJ Halls yesterday to get both of my buns checked up. Zigzag has been prescribed 0.45 twice a day of metacam, as the vet also thought he had arthritis after doing some prodding and testing. I feel awful that Zigs is in so much pain :(

I was hoping (and wishing!), for a miraculous recovery overnight, but he’s quite subdued. I assume that the impact of when and if the medication takes effect differs from one bun to the next.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed this yesterday. Pellet feeds have different protein levels. Pellets for growing/breeding Rabbits have a higher protein content than those for Adult Rabbits

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Readigrass has a higher protein content to hay and different varieties of hays have different protein contents

https://www.sbhayandfeed.com/nutritional-values-of-various-hay-types/

Thanks JJ - google showed me the rabbit house - good site I'm stealing ideas from

I somehow managed to miss this thread :roll: really interesting to see how Mouse has improved.

Thanks Joey and boo for your advice via PM. I went to CJ Halls yesterday to get both of my buns checked up. Zigzag has been prescribed 0.45 twice a day of metacam, as the vet also thought he had arthritis after doing some prodding and testing. I feel awful that Zigs is in so much pain :(

I was hoping (and wishing!), for a miraculous recovery overnight, but he’s quite subdued. I assume that the impact of when and if the medication takes effect differs from one bun to the next.

Vibes for Zigzag. I'm sure the metacam will help him feel better & with that get him moving more

Mouse is obviously having a good few days. She & Rudey got to go out yesterday & she spent a lot of time mooching about rather than just hiding in the bothy.

I was being too slow lacing her treat with metacam this morning & both she & Rudey got in to a very excited frenzy leading to Mouse attempting to hump Rudey
It was a peculiar display, like a crooked crab launching from the side & doing the neck biting thing :lol: I'm very pleased she thinks she is up to this kind of shenanigans. Rudey did garden & house binkies yesterday.

The power of oats?

Just for my records :)

So in terms of environment, Mouse really likes boxes to snooze but they are not great for her mobility so access has to be restricted. She has had access to the stove the past few days & seemed in heaven lying in front of it yesterday. Recently I've noticed that when I throw the lounge in to chaos each morning by moving furniture etc so I can clean their floor covers & change litter tray they remain really active til its sorted. If I move everything but don't clean it up for an hour, thats a fair amount of time Mouse spends bumbling about when she'd normally be resting

I've made Mousey fat trying to feed Rudey up:oops: 2.9 - 3 is her happy weight as far as I'm concerned, she recently reached that. Tuck shop withdrawn since & she has still gained an extra 100g. I need to put her on a mini diet then maintain at 2.9 as the extra blubber will not be good for her arthritis

I've made Mousey fat trying to feed Rudey up:oops: 2.9 - 3 is her happy weight as far as I'm concerned, she recently reached that. Tuck shop withdrawn since & she has still gained an extra 100g. I need to put her on a mini diet then maintain at 2.9 as the extra blubber will not be good for her arthritis

Awwwwwww 'blubber' !! :lol:

Back