• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental giant under weight

Bundozer

Young Bun
Hi! I have two rabbits as a bonded pair a continental giant and a dwarf lop. My continental is a buck and lop a doe. Both neutered. The vet said they have slight spurs on back teeth both rabbits (although no sores on tongue and no irritation caused) so reduce pellets and more hay. They love hay so worked well. I also changed the pellets gradually from burgess to science selective as seemed harder so i thought better for teeth. Anyway the next check up was for three months time. They have had this check up and both have lost weight and teeth much better. The conti has gone from 4kg though to 3kg! The lop from 2.4 to 2.1kg.

What can i do to feed up my conti especially as they dont want him to lose more weight. Increase pellets? Change to different brand? More foraged greens? Advice would be appreciated. Maybe other larger breed rabbit owners have advice on what pellets/diet theirs have?

Thanks in advance.

Did the vet who diagnosed spurs know what they were talking about?

How are your rabbits on the weight scale?
rabbitweightscale.JPG

For weight gain I would increase pellets and give one bite sized shredded wheat per day

Hi, thanks for tips. The vet just looked in the rabbits mouth with those instruments during a their second vaccine as had them since 9weeks old and i already had my rabbits happily eating 80% hay and a good quality hay too so was surprised. Then it was a mont check up with nurse who said spurs still there but no health problems and then after three months loss of weight but even better teeth. I would say the conti is 2 on that scale as she said also she wouldnt like him to lose any more weight and the dwarf lop is 3 id say on that scale so not concerned about her at all.

Back