• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting ahoy!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I fear Bertie is about to have a moult. He nearly always becomes a bit poorly with moulting so I am poised to do all I can to help him through it. Unfortunately he HATES being brushed, even with the zoom groom.

What a worry, lots of vibes that the moult won't cause a problem xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My bridge bun Bramble went through a period of about 3 years where she would develop stasis roughly every April and October which coincided with her moulting. Randomly it just stopped one year and moulting never caused her an issue after that. I hope Bertie doesn’t feel too poorly with his moult or get too stressed at being brushed. Have you tried different types of brushes? My bridge bun Smudge tolerated a zoom groom best, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-Zoom-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GJEHCEKBP41J34HW0R2B
whereas Bramble was happier with the larger side of a double sided pet comb like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Anim...52&hvtargid=pla-419886034222&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Thanks all. Bertie has a zoom groom, and I will try damp hands for loosefur removal. He has two water bottles and has not taken to a bowl at all. My late bunny, Spenser Milton, drank from a bowl so I might try Bertie with one again.

Moulting has definitely commenced!

Aoife just had a heavy moult- all 5kg of her ! :shock: My friend's garden birds had lots of fluffy white fur to line their nests as I send her all my Bunnies' moult fur and she pegs it out on her washing line for the birds :love:

Will he let you 'groom' him by just using damp hands ? Or have you tried using a grooming glove

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMorc-Grooming-Glove-Gentle-Deshedding/dp/B01M25RFWS

Encouraging him to up his water intake could be useful too. My Rabbits all drink a lot more from a bowl than from a sipper bottle. They also drink more if some Pro C Professional is added

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Pro-C-P...g7b7imrMftLRv07zAADe1GOw7KsDK1GRoCaoMQAvD_BwE

Sending vibes for Bertie Bunny xx

Jane gave you good advice as usual.

I always groom my bunnies with damp hands (not too wet). When I have more than shedding, and I can see where the fur is loose; I can use my thumb and forefinger to gently remove the loose fur. Sometimes my bunny will sit as long as I need, other times I do a little at a time. A treat can help distract the bunny too.

Aoife just had a heavy moult- all 5kg of her ! :shock: My friend's garden birds had lots of fluffy white fur to line their nests as I send her all my Bunnies' moult fur and she pegs it out on her washing line for the birds :love:

That's a good idea. I have just been chucking Bertie's moult into the bushes! I can get more off with my hands than any brush if he thinks I am petting him.

Bertie is still moulting. His output is ok, but I have been giving him a small amount of pineapple and papaya melange (sold by The Hay Experts) daily. I know there are mixed views on this as a supplement, but it seems to suit Bertie.

Bertie is still moulting. His output is ok, but I have been giving him a small amount of pineapple and papaya melange (sold by The Hay Experts) daily. I know there are mixed views on this as a supplement, but it seems to suit Bertie.
I'm happy to hear Bertie is ok during his moult. I bet he likes the pinapple and papaya melange

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bertie will not drink from a bowl, only from his bottles. He looks slightly insulted when I offer a bowl.

No he has never drank from a bowl. I gather it is better for hydration but he insists on his bottles. I even tried floatinga leaf in his water bowl.

I’ve not had bunnies that won’t drink from a bowl before, but I wouldn’t worry too much, so long as he does drink. You could try hanging the bottle over a bowl maybe? Frosty won’t really drink from bottles but I use a bowl for them anyway.

Back