• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veteran Rabbit Owner from NZ

chiQ

New Kit
Hello. I've owned rabbits on and off since the 1970s, and currently have two. I am a Swedish-born Kiwi, and live in the North Island of New Zealand. I've joined because there's still plenty for me to learn, and I have lots of knowledge I can share with others.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: we’d love to hear all about your rabbits :love:

Hello, welcome to RU :wave: from beautiful NZ :D look forward to hearing more about your rabbits, and hopefully you will be share photos with us :D

Hi, welcome to the forum. What a lovely post, that you want to share your knowledge and learn more. I’m looking forward to hearing about your rabbits and maybe seeing some photos of them.

Kia Ora! :wave:

Nau mai ki te huinga, pai ki to noho!

Not sure if you speak Maori, mine is still very rusty as I'm just learning as have family over there

(Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!)

Sorry, I got distracted by my new rabbit!

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

A few years ago, when I was living on an orchard for a while, and as my elderly house rabbit neared his end, I got two kits, brothers, from a rabbit rescue near where I live. They were half Flemish Giant, half wild rabbit, their FG mother having conceived to a wild buck through the chicken wire of her hutch!

I kept them outside, in a large dog run, 3 m x 3 m, and they had a fabulous time, eating the meadow grass that grew in it. Unfortunately a bird pooed in their water, and they got sick. I managed to save one, but his brother died. It was salmonella.

Lup6ac.jpg

The survivor, Biscuit, recovered, and was well, but as he got older I realised he was starting to show signs of being lonely. I brought home a brood doe from a local breeder, that was about to be retired, but she was aggressive towards him, and beat him up quite badly. She was adorable, but not for Biscuit. The other day, after he'd had some cool-down time, I brought home a minilop kit.

That's where I am now. So far he's adopted her, and is grooming and snuggling with her when he can, while she binkies and whizzes around him at high speed much of the time.

This is Biscuit, and his new sidekick, Lumi:

JvWqmB.jpg

You can see more of these two, my Scottish Fold rescue cat, Sparrow, Roo the stroppy doe, and more at my Instagram account, here: https://www.instagram.com/camillakoutsos/

Sparrow:
PClb8x.jpg

Gem: Thanks! I don't speak te reo, but I have started learning words, so I can learn to do so :)

Last edited:
Aw Lumi looks like my Moondust, who is a house rabbit.

9jq32r.jpg

She and her friend, a lovely dutch x buck named Loganberry, live in what used to be our dining room

rblf2e.jpg

Aw Lumi looks like my Moondust, who is a house rabbit.

9jq32r.jpg

She and her friend, a lovely dutch x buck named Loganberry, live in what used to be our dining room

rblf2e.jpg

Is she a lionhead? Very sweet :)

Barn Yard Bunnies: Yes, it just about broke my heart. Spike and Biscuit were such a cute pair. He seems to be pretty happy about Lumi though, so I'm feeling much happier about his future now.

Back