• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried forage

loobers25

Warren Veteran
At the moment my buns get fresh herbs and dried forage with unlimited hay. They are not on pellets at the moment but I do have some here.

Is it ok to cut out dry forage in the summer and just increase the fresh forage. Is there any benefit to feefing dry over fresh? The buns refused dry stuff today but they ate fresh plantain and apple etc. My guess Is that they wanted the moisture.

Generally i would aim to feed daily from my garden as I have fresh lemon balm, Herb Robert, plantain, strawberry leaf, yarrow, mallow, coriander, parsley, apple, hawthorn and golden rod. I have marigolds but not yet flowered. I would forage others at the weekend on walks. Do you think that would be ok? I am currently drying lots too for the winter.

Does anyone feed only fresh/hay?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't feed dried forage. During the leaner Winter months my rabbits make do with fresh herbs from the garden or supermarket and Kale. I don't think there is any benefit in feeding anything dried and, as you say, it doesn't have the moisture. Currently they have a very small portion of pellets, fresh forage, Kale, hay, a few herbs, a large amount of freshly cut grass and tree leaves/sticks.

Certainly if you have all that growing in your garden I would just use that with some extra obtained from weekend walks.

It is useful to have dried forage for winter when anything but hay and cabbage are in shore supply. You can dry the items you are routinely feeding now (hang in bunches in a warm, dry area) and store them in paper bags or cereal boxes for winter.

OMG - your garden is lush. What a bountiful assortment of delish nomms. I put fresh hay on for Hillian but they just look at it and they're like "what the hell is that?". So I'm left with pellets and fresh cabbage with a sprinking of parsley and the occasional slice of carrot. At the moment, Lillian is outside topping up her tan and eating grass and any other stray triffid she can find in the garden.

Back