• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run

bizziel

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone
I'd like some advice if you will re rabbit runs. My bunsters are currently in a big hutch in a 7x7 shed so they have a fair amount of space to run around in. However, I really like the idea of giving them an outdoor run so they can get to grass when they want. With the location of the shed in the corner of the garden I would need to give them a tunnel like runaround or zippi so they could get from the shed into the run.

So I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, could I attach a wide gauge wire mesh to the bottom of a run? I don't think they are diggers but I'm terrified they will dig their way out! Would the mesh be dangerous in any way? I want to be able to move the run about on the lawn so i don't want to sink the mesh under the grass if I can avoid it.

How predator proof are the tunnels like runaround or zippi, could a fox get in? I know they my bunsters safe in their shed at the mo and I'd be heart broken if something were to get to them through the hole in the wall or tunnel I would need to add for the run.

Do your rabbits have access to a grass run 24/7 or do you shut them in at night or when you are out?

Our cat is so used to the buns that she just ignores them but I have caught next doors cat sitting on top of the wooden run I put them out in sometimes. If a cat is stalking them when I'm not around will they freak out or go into stasis or anything like that?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone
I'd like some advice if you will re rabbit runs. My bunsters are currently in a big hutch in a 7x7 shed so they have a fair amount of space to run around in. However, I really like the idea of giving them an outdoor run so they can get to grass when they want. With the location of the shed in the corner of the garden I would need to give them a tunnel like runaround or zippi so they could get from the shed into the run.

So I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, could I attach a wide gauge wire mesh to the bottom of a run? I don't think they are diggers but I'm terrified they will dig their way out! Would the mesh be dangerous in any way? I want to be able to move the run about on the lawn so i don't want to sink the mesh under the grass if I can avoid it.

How predator proof are the tunnels like runaround or zippi, could a fox get in? I know they my bunsters safe in their shed at the mo and I'd be heart broken if something were to get to them through the hole in the wall or tunnel I would need to add for the run.

Do your rabbits have access to a grass run 24/7 or do you shut them in at night or when you are out?

Our cat is so used to the buns that she just ignores them but I have caught next doors cat sitting on top of the wooden run I put them out in sometimes. If a cat is stalking them when I'm not around will they freak out or go into stasis or anything like that?

Thanks!

Wide gauge mesh might be uncomfortable for their feet and as the grass won’t be absolutely level they could get their feet caught in it. My outdoor rabbits weren’t diggers(or so I thought :roll:) Their run was originally on about 6 inches of crushed brick topped with a very thick layer of playbark. They dug out of it :shock: luckily they were able to be captured.

Runaround tunnels are very solid and sturdy, after they were no longer used, my Pygmy goats used to try to jump on them and butt them and they were unable to break them. They have Perspex discs to shut off the tunnel at the shed if you need to.

I don’t have any outdoor rabbits now, but when I did, I did shut them in the shed overnight due to my paranoia over predators. Their run was the aforementioned bark over crushed brick, after they dug out I meshed the whole 17ftx10ft run and then put the playbark on top.

If a cat is stalking them it might cause them to be stressed and go into stasis, you could provide plenty of hiding places for them to help.

Thanks Zoobec, that's very helpful. I have ordered the runaround run and tunnels, I think I will put mesh under the turf to stop any digging.

Thanks for the tip about cats, I will put in a ceramic tunnel and box to hide in. As I can shut it off I think I will at night, at least until I'm confident in the set up.

Thanks Zoobec, that's very helpful. I have ordered the runaround run and tunnels, I think I will put mesh under the turf to stop any digging.

Thanks for the tip about cats, I will put in a ceramic tunnel and box to hide in. As I can shut it off I think I will at night, at least until I'm confident in the set up.

That sounds like a good plan. The runaround tunnels are great and flexible, I had the 8ft tunnels and the runs could be moved around quite a bit, if you have a large area of grass under meshed you can move them around quite a lot.

Back