• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny heart :(

I’m not sure if Sweep is starting to get a little GI statis tonight, his tummy felt hard and he started gritting his teeth. He’s been running around all night :/

I’m not sure if Sweep is starting to get a little GI statis tonight, his tummy felt hard and he started gritting his teeth. He’s been running around all night :/

It sounds as though he needs to be seen by the Vet again today :cry: If he only had the one shot of diuretic (Dimazon) the benefits of that ( for his suspected heart failure) will have worn off by now and consequently he may be getting a lot of fluid build up in his lungs/around his heart again. Sending lots more vibes for him x

He’s on Furosemide, has a tablet once every 12 hours. He seems okay today, I gave him simethicone before bed last night and checked on him a few times, caught him eating every time I checked him :) Hes been running around after patch today, and nosing around the house. He seems quite active. He’s eating well too. He’s been having cuddles and kisses, much to his disgust 😂

Thank you so much for the well wishes and vibes 😀 we really appreciate them :)

It's nice to read this update, so pleased to hear that Sweep is doing better, really hope that continues xxx

Thank you for the vibes :) Sweep has been doing pretty well, he’s eating well and he’s a good boy having his meds twice a day :) I’ve tried watching how fast his heart rate is and it’s been looking okay (touch wood). It’s been quite warm the last few days, so him and Patch have just been relaxing a lot with cool bottles around :)

Hi everyone, another Sweet update :) We took Sweep for his follow up appointment today, he was really nervous in the car and everything. The vet listened to his heart and said it was completely normal. So he’s going to take diuretics for another week now, then he’ll be coming off them and we’ll see how he goes, if we feel he needs them he’ll be put back on them.
I feel that he had some sort of blockage or something that put him into distress. He had this cardboard toy that he was obsessed with chewing and I worry that could have caused something?

He’s doing well though :) thank you for all the vibes, they meant so much :)

Aww, glad to see a positive update. Lots of 'continue to get better Sweep' vibes been sent over your way x

I’m so glad he is doing so well:thumb: one of my bunnies eats cardboard and it caused a gut slowdown so they have apple sticks, willow tunnels and chill and chew mats and things like that to chew on. You mustn’t blame yourself, lots of rabbits have cardboard toys and don’t actually eat it but a few do! Frosty is the first bunny I’ve ever had to have had to have cardboard banned :lol:

I’m not sure if willow is ok for rabbits with a heart condition so I would check with your vet:thumb:

Thank you for letting us know your bunny's heart issue is improving.
My Raven used to chew things a lot. He would shred cardboard and even chew small holes in bath towels. Even though I saw confetti when he was done, I could never be sure if all the pieces were left behind. He still gets to chew empty cereal boxes.

Back