• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First Bout of GI Stasis

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
Good Morning,

I thought I would post about this and give someone else ideas of what can be done in stasis. We are through it and Leroy has recovered! On Sunday, I noticed he did not greet me but hid when I brought out food. But the biggest red flag was when I opened his pen to let him in the yard on Monday and he stayed in the litter box and never came out. He has never done this. I picked him up and started looking him over and saw nothing. He wanted to lay on his warming pad with his eyes closed. He had not eaten so I suspected stasis. Then I heard the tummy rumblings and knew. I got him pedialyte and started giving it to him by syringe every 1/2 hr., as much as he would take. I also got some baby food (banana) and tried to give him a little, and did tummy massages. He took some baby food, but not very much. That was Monday night. I put him to bed in the basement hutch with a Snugglesafe. Next morning he still looked lethargic and did not want to eat. I continued pedialyte and a little gripe water. I called my vet said they were not equipped to deal with this and recommended a vet very far away or euthanasia. I decided to try my best. So I got one dose of pediatric reglan into him, a little aspirin (vet advised on dosage) and continued with liquids and massage. Around noon yesterday, he perked up and went to the patio door. I let him out and he hopped around a bit, drank more water and soon after, ate a kale leaf. He seems fine today, eating more hay. He seems to know what to do and also that I was trying to help him by administering things with syringe.

I hope this is over and never happens again! I suspect he may have overdone munching on new grass in the yard but who knows.

Shirley

Good Morning,

I thought I would post about this and give someone else ideas of what can be done in stasis. We are through it and Leroy has recovered! On Sunday, I noticed he did not greet me but hid when I brought out food. But the biggest red flag was when I opened his pen to let him in the yard on Monday and he stayed in the litter box and never came out. He has never done this. I picked him up and started looking him over and saw nothing. He wanted to lay on his warming pad with his eyes closed. He had not eaten so I suspected stasis. Then I heard the tummy rumblings and knew. I got him pedialyte and started giving it to him by syringe every 1/2 hr., as much as he would take. I also got some baby food (banana) and tried to give him a little, and did tummy massages. He took some baby food, but not very much. That was Monday night. I put him to bed in the basement hutch with a Snugglesafe. Next morning he still looked lethargic and did not want to eat. I continued pedialyte and a little gripe water. I called my vet said they were not equipped to deal with this and recommended a vet very far away or euthanasia. I decided to try my best. So I got one dose of pediatric reglan into him, a little aspirin (vet advised on dosage) and continued with liquids and massage. Around noon yesterday, he perked up and went to the patio door. I let him out and he hopped around a bit, drank more water and soon after, ate a kale leaf. He seems fine today, eating more hay. He seems to know what to do and also that I was trying to help him by administering things with syringe.

I hope this is over and never happens again! I suspect he may have overdone munching on new grass in the yard but who knows.

Shirley

I am so glad to hear that your Bunny has recovered. I am sure you know that it is always best to obtain a Veterinary examination as soon as illness is detected. But it sounds as though that may not have been possible for you. Noting the Bunny's fecal output is also a very useful source of information re GI tract motility. small poo/less poo or worse still no poo is always a big red flag warning sign. If the Rabbit has not had any fecal output for several hours it is best not to administer anything by mouth apart from water. Or as you did, the Pedialyte (Dioralyte in the UK) is OK. Until a Vet has ruled out a full GI tract obstruction giving syringe feeds to an anorexic Rabbit may make things a lot worse.

For future reference you may find these links useful, although hopefully your Bun will remain well now and well done for nursing him through what could have been a very serious situation

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3846185&pid=11147

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content...=29493&id=3846186&ind=70&objTypeID=17&print=1

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Back