• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola is in GI Stasis :(

SamTheBunny

Young Bun
Hello all!
Yesterday evening at around 6:45 I went out to check on Basil and Lola. I noticed tht Lola didn't run out to meet me and had instead stayed in the top of her hutch which is rather unlike her. She often sits in there to go to sleep but usually follows Basil out. My immediate thought was GI stasis as she had it last May after her spay and looked just like she did then, only not quite as bad. I asked my mum what she thought as I know that I tend to worry unnecessarily about these things but she agreed with me that she didn't look quite right, even though she was still eating a little bit. We rang the vets and they said I should pop her in as soon as I can for them to have a look as I said that I thought it might be GI stasis. Luckily the vet hadn't gone home just yet! He took her temperature, which was normal, and then had a feel around her stomach. He said that she did feel a little bit blocked up and she felt a little bit harder just under her ribs. She was given SC metaclopramide then and we gave her another at 8 this morning. The vet said she should be back to her normal self by the middle of the day, but to pop her back in this evening if she hasn't improved.

She doesn't seem to have improved at all over night, more worsened. She was sat hunched in the bottom of her hutch when I went out to feed them both and to giver her the metaclopramide, and she didn't show any interest in me or the food at all, whereas she did yesterday. Should I bring her inside to monitor her pooping and to keep her warm? As she is with Basil I cannot tell, but I don't think she is. Her eyes are also a tiny bit leaky but nothing major. She just looks so uncomfortable and poorly :(

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated by us both, as I have only dealt with this once when she had it before but they prescribed entirely different medication (fibreplex and ranitidine) and she had just been spayed so it may be a different cause this time around. Thank you :)

Personally I wouldn't wait until this evening, but would contact your vets this morning and maybe take her back. You say that her eyes are a bit leaky. Did the vet examine her teeth, as having leaky eyes is sometimes a symptom of dental problems. I would also be discussing with your vet if she could have some pain relief, as a rabbit in pain will not eat and pain relief is usually prescribed alongside gut medication if a rabbit is not eating.

Sending Lola lots of vibes.

I agree that pain meds are important. She also may need some fluids and/or syringe feed.
Sending you some healing thoughts

Thank you all for your replies. I am really sad to say that I went out at 9:40 to find that Lola had passed. Whilst I knew that she was very very poorly, I didn't expect her to pass on so soon. I was about to take her back to the vets when I went out to check on her. She was vaccinated so I don't imagine it was anything to do with that, probably the stasis. Fly high little Lola x

Thank you all for your replies. I am really sad to say that I went out at 9:40 to find that Lola had passed. Whilst I knew that she was very very poorly, I didn't expect her to pass on so soon. I was about to take her back to the vets when I went out to check on her. She was vaccinated so I don't imagine it was anything to do with that, probably the stasis. Fly high little Lola x

I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Lola xx

Thank you so much everyone for your kind messages. They really mean a lot to me and I'm sure Lola would appreciate them as well. This was so sudden and unexpected that I still haven't quite come to terms with what has happened. I keep expecting to see her hopping around, munching on hay. Basil seems to have been hit quite hard by this as well and has become quite subdued and quiet. Is there anything I can do to help him grieve? I have left Lola in their hutch to try and help him understand that she isn't coming back as he seemed quite distressed and confused when I took her out earlier. He still looks so sad though, I don't know what to do :( When is the right time to try and bond him with another rabbit? I have another pair that I am going to try him with first as I don't feel ready for a new bun but I know how important it is that he has company.

How sad. Sweet dreams Lola. I'd give Basil & yourself a few days before thinking about the next steps xxt

I’m really sorry. Sleep well Lola.

I think it’s normal for Basil to be quiet for a while. Keep an eye on him and check that he’s still eating. There’s no right or wrong answer for when to find him a new friend. I have always done it fairly quickly as I felt that was right for my bereaved bun but you need to get your head round it too. When i lost my old girl Frankie, I bonded her partner Ted in with my other pair and they’re now an inseparable trio. Big hugs to you all. xx

I am very sorry to hear lola passed so quickly. I have experienced stasis bunnies who become ill within hours and hang on for several days before passing, like my Evan who never recovered; and those like your bunny who leave quickly. I know how much it hurts either way. Lola was lucky to have you to give her loving care.

I am so sorry you have lost Lola. Bunnies cope quite well with bereavement usually, just be very gentle with him and he will be all right.

Back