• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does my bunny need a friend?

Doogalsmam

New Kit
Hi all
So about a month ago ish I adopted a rabbit from PAH via the support adoption charity. His previous history was around 5 years old, neutered, had a bunny wife that passed away and when the previous owners introduced him to another young rabbit he wasn't happy which (I could be wrong) made me think they rehomed him and kept little bunny that was younger. Anyway so it was written on his notes to be a single rabbit.
Now, he's a lovely bunny and will have a stroke and cuddle but to be honest he spends most of his time in his little cat bed and he doesn't run around or binky apart from in the garden and he can play but when he gets in he just retreats and I can't help but feel maybe he hasn't been given a proper chance to bond with another bunny and that he's lonely? Any thoughts would be great :)

I would tend to agree with you. The fact that a rabbit won't bond with one other rabbit does not mean that they wouldn't bond with a different one. Also your rabbit has previously lived with another rabbit, presumably happily, and so yes I would attempt to find him another partner.

Let us know how you get on :)

Do you have any rescue centres near you ? Some offer bonding services, or your bunny could be introduced to different potential partners, to see how he gets on. Good luck !

He's got stacks of toys and run of the house but he never has mad moments or leaves bed to be honest. Hes had all vaccinations and health check and everything was fine, it just seems like he's missing something :(

The majority of rabbits are happier with company of their own kind and they're very social creatures. :D

If you have a local rescue who will help you with bonding, I would give it a try. It could be something as simple as the previous owners didn't bond on neutral territory (rabbits are very territorial and protective of their space so bonding needs to be done in the right way) or that they misinterpreted some of the behaviour (there can be some fur pulling and chasing initially which often looks far worse than it really is).

Age, size etc doesn't matter. As he's approaching middle age, I would probably look for a slightly more mature bunny rather than an adolescent that he might find too lively :lol::lol: but the rescue will be able to advise on suitable partners. The easiest combination is a male/female pairing.

bunnies really do do better in pairs, they're a lot happier. they're sociable animals who live in groups, having another animal companion just doesn't make up for it as they can't talk. imagine being a sociable person who can't properly talk to anybody because they talk a different language.

bunny bonding mostly matters on personality rather than anything else. some people have to try multiple bunnies to properly find their rabbit a suitable companion.

breed nor age matters, a giant could be paired with a netherland dwarf, its really down to personality.

generally the best pairings is a neutered buck and spayed doe, but neutered bucks together can work.

I'd contact a few rescues, some might be able to do bunny dating for you, so they do the hard work of finding a partner, bonding them and then sending them home. make sure that any smells of your current rabbit is removed and everything is neutralised.

Good luck trying to find your bunny a friend - how exciting!

Please may I put my two eggs in. I done bunny speed dating and I chose a bun who during the date who seemed to be really happy to be with my bun. However as the weeks progressed it was clear she was top bun and very bossy. In the end I was never able to bond those two rabbits.

My advise would be to just ask the rescue to match on personalities. For example my Dennis likes to groom and be submissive to my demanding Sponge which is perfect. Where as Toby liked to be top bun so him and Maple would always fight. I think speed dates are too early to know - if that makes sense!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hello :) ah I had a similar situation with my guinea pigs who now live in a pen with a mesh divide, they love to chatter and lie next to each other but like you, one is just too dominant and ends up in a brawl lol unfortunately I can't really say what kind of rabbit he is as I've never seen him with another rabbit? I think his character right now is like a grumpy old man, always stamping his feet, and throwing things round when they're in his way, however if he's sad and lonely I'm thinking this might not actually be who he really is? :(

Hello :) ah I had a similar situation with my guinea pigs who now live in a pen with a mesh divide, they love to chatter and lie next to each other but like you, one is just too dominant and ends up in a brawl lol unfortunately I can't really say what kind of rabbit he is as I've never seen him with another rabbit? I think his character right now is like a grumpy old man, always stamping his feet, and throwing things round when they're in his way, however if he's sad and lonely I'm thinking this might not actually be who he really is? :(
Awww I agree, I am sorry I missed that he hasn't been bonded before. Keep us all updated xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back