• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Porphyrin?/blood in urine

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Priscilla has just been in the litter tray and because of her pelvis issues sometimes she leaves a couple of spots out side the tray due to mobility/comfort issues and it's an orangeish red she is otherwise well binkying eating normal cheeky self and she has had a few dried carrot pieces this morning I'm just having a bit of a meltdown as she's not spayed yet she has a routine check next week for a nail clip anyway can I leave it that long?
f093d93ae8161c132a2f2debd8cf4ea3.jpg
63b43f929167e9b1ad7b58d2b4a00644.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

In my opinion this is almost certainly pigment from plant material, which she has eaten, perhaps the carrot. My rabbits have lots of different types of forage and their urine is various different shades of yellow/orange/brown.

In my opinion this is almost certainly pigment from plant material, which she has eaten, perhaps the carrot. My rabbits have lots of different types of forage and their urine is various different shades of yellow/orange/brown.

I agree. Also, Rabbits with mobility issues are more prone to bladder sludge. So that may be something to bear in mind.

looks normal to me honestly. rabbit wee can range from a light yellow to a deep orange. I think the biggest concern was if there was actual blood in the urine, like spots of it or if it was a blood red color.

there was an image of normal rabbit wee somewhere but I can't find it!!

Thank you for the replies my gut tells me it's the carrot pieces but I just worry about her

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

While a picture may be hard to interpret, I agree that it is likely pigment from metabolizing food rather than blood from what I can see along with her behaving normally.
I have had bunnies who suddenly developed orange urine even with no change in diet and they lived long, happy lives.
When I have had an unsprayed female with blood from her uterus, the color was not evenly distributed in the urine like your picture appears.

Back