• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update 5/12 Gemini head tilt.

Gemini began eating more hay and pellets on his own on Friday. By Saturday he was eating and drinking well, and making lots of nice poos so I stopped syringe feeds.
His weight is the same as the prior week and the same as his visit to the vets 12 days earlier so I stopped the syringe feeding. I also was able to stop sub Q fluids now that he is drinking a sufficient amount to stay hydrated. He remains on his Bicillin and Panacur. His head tilt is gone. It is hard to believe that less than 11 or 12 days ago he was so ill I thought he would not survive.
The vet instructions have him being on Bicillin every other day for 14 days. However, I am not sure if the vet actually meant 14 doses over 28 days because enough was dispensed for a longer cycle. He has only had 7 injections and I do not think that is enough to make sure his inner ear infection is gone when this is the third time in a little over a year he had this issue.
I will call either my normal vet, or the one that dispensed the Bicillin tomorrow so I do not stop it too soon. I have a huge fear that his infection could come back and it may be more resistant if we stop his meds now.

Gemini began eating more hay and pellets on his own on Friday. By Saturday he was eating and drinking well, and making lots of nice poos so I stopped syringe feeds.
His weight is the same as the prior week and the same as his visit to the vets 12 days earlier so I stopped the syringe feeding. I also was able to stop sub Q fluids now that he is drinking a sufficient amount to stay hydrated. He remains on his Bicillin and Panacur. His head tilt is gone. It is hard to believe that less than 11 or 12 days ago he was so ill I thought he would not survive.
The vet instructions have him being on Bicillin every other day for 14 days. However, I am not sure if the vet actually meant 14 doses over 28 days because enough was dispensed for a longer cycle. He has only had 7 injections and I do not think that is enough to make sure his inner ear infection is gone when this is the third time in a little over a year he had this issue.
I will call either my normal vet, or the one that dispensed the Bicillin tomorrow so I do not stop it too soon. I have a huge fear that his infection could come back and it may be more resistant if we stop his meds now.

It sounds as though Gemini is responding to treatment. I agree with you re not stopping the Bicillin too soon. Sending lots more vibes for him xx

It sounds as though Gemini is responding to treatment. I agree with you re not stopping the Bicillin too soon. Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Jane, Thank you for responding so quickly and confirming my own concern about stopping the Bicillin. Now that he is eating and tolerating it well I see no reason to stop for at least 2 more weeks.

Back