• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update 5/12 Gemini head tilt.

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Gemini has had some ups and downs in the past year. He had three dentals and two incidents of head tilt. He also has been drinking more than I would expect for a bunny his size and he was peeing outside the litterbox much more. His last head tilt incident was in late January 2019, about a week after his dental. He got prompt treatment for an ear infection and he recovered well. When he went for the dental, I asked the vet to test his urine but Gemini was voiding his bladder and contaminating the sample with feces before they could get a good sample. After his head tilt he was doing well so I put aside my concerns about his drinking and peeing.
Two weeks ago he was passing a lot of smelly poo clusters that I suspected were excess cecals in the morning and he also produced normal fecal material.
On Friday night I gave him more greens than usual (carrot tops and dandelions) because he was not eating as many of his pellets or hay. My other boy needed a dental much sooner than I expected, so I was thinking I should schedule Gemini for a dental too.
Saturday morning he passed a pile of poo with a soft pasty consistency and a strong smell. I cleaned him up a little (trying to not stress him) and gave him some sub Q fluids. He passed some small, less fiber fecals later in the day so I began critical care.
On Sunday I continued the sub Q fluids and critical care and gave him some medicam. His poo is a bit larger, but still smaller than his usual size.
After receiving fluids, he drank some water on his own and he is nibbling very little hay and slowly eating some greens.
My biggest concern is that some of the sub Q fluids I gave him earlier are still hanging on his underside.
He is only five years old and I am very worried Tomorrow is my regular vets surgery day so I know he will not be available most of the day.
Please send me and my friendly, loving Gemini some positive vibes.

Last edited:
I called the veterinarian as soon as they opened. Vet added an app to his schedule. Gemini did his best to hide his illness at the vets and even ate a piece of hay. He could not hide the fluids he was retaining even 23 hours after his last sub q fluids.
Gemini had good lung, heart and gut sounds and he peed on examination. I am to continue with medicam, abx, supportive care.
Gemini did not cooperate with lunch syringe feed and seemed worse couple hours later
However he took evening and nightime syringe feeds much better--possibly because he is improving unless it was because he got a mix of critical care and his own pellets.
Tonight I am more positive he will be here when I awake.
Gemini and I appreciate the love and positive vibes from our RU friends.

For the past few days, Gemini has been on the same antibiotic that cured his last two episodes of head tilt from ear infection. He also had Medicam, motility meds, critical care and he is back on sub Q fluids. Last night I thought he may be a bit of tilt besides the very, very slight residual one he was left with after his first head tilt incident. Tonight my spouse and I confirmed he is tilting more. He is still not falling and is able to go in an out of his litterbox.
I am unclear if the head tilt returned from the stress of his not eating and tummy issue; or if the head tilt/ear infection caused him to not eat anything other than a few greens and nibbling hay.
My biggest concern is this time he was already on the antibiotics for a few days before the head tilt appeared. The last two time he had the head tilt he did get more tilted for the first couple days after he began antibiotics, but once the antibiotics took effect he improved. He has been on the antibiotic since before sunrise on Monday so I would have expected them to be working already. He did take the critical care better than he did earlier in the week so maybe that means he is not having as much discomfort. Of course, he may just be smart enough to realize the quicker he eats it the quicker I will stop bothering him.
I am hoping that my veterinarian will be in the office tomorrow so I can get some advice. My vet is off on some Fridays even without it being Good Friday tomorrow.
Gemini was on his antibiotic for six weeks after his first and his second head tilt incident, so I am sad that some bacteria was likely still in his system waiting for him to be in a weakened state to strike again.
My sweet friendly Gemini and I would appreciate some more positive vibes and prayers.

I’m sorry he’s not improving :cry: I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sure it’s often a long road to get them right again. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Sorry to hear that Gemini is not doing so well, hope the vet can help. Sending more vibes for your boy xxxx

I'd sorry to hear of Gemini's current illness. Many vibes on their way to you and prayers too. ((((((Gemini))))))

When Mimzy tilted he was on antibiotics for at least a couple of months. He coudn't properly move about on his own for almost 6 months. Even then he was still tilted 90 degrees to his left. Over the years he slowly improved and my vet also gave him meclizine to help his balance centers feel less wobbly. Probably a little early in treatment to try that but as he goes on if he has residual tilt that might be an option to discuss to help with his mobility.

It sounds like he's beat this before and I'd give it good odds he will again. These little ones do like to worry us, especially on holiday weekends! :( Be sure you get your rest too, caring for our wonky ones is a 24 hour experience!

Many hugs on their way to you. (((((((((((Bunny momma))))))))))) xxxx

I'd sorry to hear of Gemini's current illness. Many vibes on their way to you and prayers too. ((((((Gemini))))))

When Mimzy tilted he was on antibiotics for at least a couple of months. He coudn't properly move about on his own for almost 6 months. Even then he was still tilted 90 degrees to his left. Over the years he slowly improved and my vet also gave him meclizine to help his balance centers feel less wobbly. Probably a little early in treatment to try that but as he goes on if he has residual tilt that might be an option to discuss to help with his mobility.

It sounds like he's beat this before and I'd give it good odds he will again. These little ones do like to worry us, especially on holiday weekends! :( Be sure you get your rest too, caring for our wonky ones is a 24 hour experience!

Many hugs on their way to you. (((((((((((Bunny momma))))))))))) xxxx

I appreciate your sharing your experience with Mimzy and sending Gemini and I so many hugs and prayers. You are right that he beat the head tilt twice and today I see he is just a bit more tilted so it is not progressing as quickly as his first tilt experience. I should take some comfort in knowing his current antibiotic is controlling it to some extent even if it some remaining bacteria is resistant. My vet was off Friday and he will be back in the morning for a few hours. Perhaps adding a second antibiotic or changing antibiotics will allow me to enjoy Gemini for many years to come.

You are right about our furry friends having poor timing with their maladies. In January Gemini began his second bout of head tilt during a severe blizzard that made travel treacherous even if the vet had not been forced to close.

I’m sorry he’s not improving :cry: I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sure it’s often a long road to get them right again. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx
Even though I have experience with head tilt bunnies who recovered; it is my late black velvet who developed a head tilt in her old age, became disabled and never recovered that weighs on my mind. I am trying so hard to be positive. Thank you for the vibes and hugs.

Back