• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit throws it’s self against walls.

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
This happens every time we go to the vets or when Harlequin goes into a new part of the flat. Some times she will calm down but then restart this behaviour hours later ( this was when bonding).

I take it as extream anxiety, fear and a want to escape back to known territory.

I am just wondering if any one has experiances similar with their rabbits or has heard of this happening.

I did try to research it and talked to a few people but came up with nothing at all.

I would tend to agree with you in your synopsis regarding anxiety/stress. You've correctly observed and identified that the behaviour is not typical passive behaviour. It's extreme and that probably means that Harlequin is stressed about the situation. I'm not sure of a protective strategy to help you with this. There are some over the counter products that can calm animals down - scented sprays and things like that. Obviously try to put some protection on the wall to prevent Harlequin from hurting herself.

I would tend to agree with you in your synopsis regarding anxiety/stress. You've correctly observed and identified that the behaviour is not typical passive behaviour. It's extreme and that probably means that Harlequin is stressed about the situation. I'm not sure of a protective strategy to help you with this. There are some over the counter products that can calm animals down - scented sprays and things like that. Obviously try to put some protection on the wall to prevent Harlequin from hurting herself.

Hi Craig. I am glad you agree with what I’m thinking on this. She also threw herself at me when bonding but if I saw her head for the wall or me I would catch her. We have the pet remedy defuser we are curently using although don’t have the spray yet ( it’s on it’s way) for the the pet carrier.

At the vets I now hold her firmly as she hides under under my chin because I can just about predict her movements ( I also think she takes some amount of comfort in this) and when she may jump plus I have quick reflexes.

I want to let her free roam in the livingroom and as the pen is in the livingroom I’m hoping she will be calmer then the bathroom but I’m going to just have to wait and see. When I’m cleaning the pen she tries to see what’s outside the pannels so I’m hoping that’s a good sign but all other rooms are out of bounds until I can find some thing to calm her except the hallway which she’s happy in. It also means though that I may not be able to attempt bonding again either.

Back