• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for Katie.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Our 10 year old rabbit has arthritis and she has been on metacam and cartrophen injections. She’s been doing Ok, it’s mainly her right hind leg that is the issue. Since last week end it’s been a lot worse and I’m now considering a trolley for her. Her companion, Eccles is very protective of her and looks after her well, she’s bright and eating although has muscle loss. I will get her in for x-rays and bloods to check nothing else is going on.
Anyway, advice on getting a trolley, how long she should be in one, general maintenance and care or any other input would be welcome?

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for her.

Our 10 year old rabbit has arthritis and she has been on metacam and cartrophen injections. She’s been doing Ok, it’s mainly her right hind leg that is the issue. Since last week end it’s been a lot worse and I’m now considering a trolley for her. Her companion, Eccles is very protective of her and looks after her well, she’s bright and eating although has muscle loss. I will get her in for x-rays and bloods to check nothing else is going on.
Anyway, advice on getting a trolley, how long she should be in one, general maintenance and care or any other input would be welcome?

I have never used a mobility cart for a Bunny, but 'Battlekat' is in the process of doing so, maybe drop her a PM

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?475425-Suspected-EC

Very wise to have Xrays done before embarking on using a mobility aid for Katie as if there are other spinal/skeletal problems now present a cart may not be an option.

Sending tots of vibes xx

Thank you for the input but, sadly, we let Katie go this morning. She had continued to get weaker and went in today for tests. I thought it looked like she had a head tremor and her bloods showed signs of inflammation, we suspect e.c.
Her xrays were horrific and the vet was surprised at how bright she was and how well she had coped.
I don’t think she was in any severe pain, personally, but at the same time it was only going to get worse and we also had to consider the fight she was going to have against E.c.
She was nearly 11 and had been with us for 9 years. All the volunteers loved her as did her companion, Eccles.
I’m gutted.

Thank you for the input but, sadly, we let Katie go this morning. She had continued to get weaker and went in today for tests. I thought it looked like she had a head tremor and her bloods showed signs of inflammation, we suspect e.c.
Her xrays were horrific and the vet was surprised at how bright she was and how well she had coped.
I don’t think she was in any severe pain, personally, but at the same time it was only going to get worse and we also had to consider the fight she was going to have against E.c.
She was nearly 11 and had been with us for 9 years. All the volunteers loved her as did her companion, Eccles.
I’m gutted.

Oh no, I am so very sorry Louise. You will have done everything possible for Katie. Letting her go was your final act of genuine compassion for her.

RIP Katie xx

I am so sorry to read this. You gave Katie the most wonderful ful happy life, filled with love and happiness.
Binkey free Katie. xx

Back