• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Digs/ Jelly Has Moved In!

Beapig

Mama Doe
Today has been full on! We started bonding Jellybean outside with the other two quite early. It went as I expected - Beatrice gave Jellybean a lot of sass, which involved much grunting and fur pulling. She did the exact same to Plumpkin, so I'm not surprised. Poor Jelly was much more timid than I expected and didn't fight back at all. She seemed scared of both Hamilton and Beatrice - maybe because she hasn't seen other rabbits for many years :(

In the meantime, I cleaned out the shed thoroughly and we moved out the temporary hutch we had in there for there. My OH spent all day building this amazing setup for them, which is what we wanted from the start but we had to rush to move them in back in Winter so we didn't have time to make custom fitted furniture.

It's all made from recycled/scrap wood - the big box at the back is the lower level of their old hutch, with the wire taken off and replaced with scrap plywood. The lid is hinged so it's easy to access the 9.5kg bags of hay we buy. I'm most happy about this as it will mean no more hay all over the house!

They are loving the new levels too. It's really nice that we can see them hanging out up there whilst we're in our living room. It's the reason why we opted for the shed with the massive windows. Jellybean is keeping to herself, but they aren't squabbling anymore so we're just keeping a close eye. If I remember, it took a couple of weeks before Plumpkin was really settled with Ham & Bea. The new setup in the shed has helped a lot - they're very distracted by the exciting new 'toys' so aren't paying much attention to each other.

Let me know what you think of it! :D

2019-04-11_06-00-53 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-01-03 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-01-20 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-01-36 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-01-47 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-02-09 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-00-31 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

2019-04-11_06-03-43 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

This is a joy to behold. You really have such a wonderful understanding and connection with your rabbits. They are so lucky to have you rescue them. x:love:

What a lovely new home they have with a super big hay box :love: It's wonderful that you can see them from your living room. I'm pleased that the bonding is also going reasonably well and hope they will all become firm friends soon.

Thank you so much everyone! :D

I've just checked on them before bed and they seem to be doing okay. I think Beatrice has exhausted herself into not caring anymore - she was falling asleep in the litter tray. Jellybean is still nervous of them and just wanted to hop on my lap as soon as I came in (which made me feel super loved, although I'm sure when she's more settled she will be too busy eating loads of hay and binkying.)

Our cat came to check out the new setup and he also likes chilling out on the 'shelf'. Hamilton didn't seem to mind :lol:

Wowee, Beapig! This set up is amazing, I absolutely love the large windows. Well done everybun! Gosh that really looks like a Miss Mouseypie from Trawden or I need glasses. Was it an expensive build? It looks it!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I bet they will love to sit looking out on wet days and it looks like Jellybean is on the way to having 2 new friends! I am so happy for them, and you.

Wowee, Beapig! This set up is amazing, I absolutely love the large windows. Well done everybun! Gosh that really looks like a Miss Mouseypie from Trawden or I need glasses. Was it an expensive build? It looks it!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I think the shed cost about £600, and then there were the pavers, paint and lino on top of that...so not cheap :oops: But we really wanted a shed that we could see them in from the house, which is why this one was perfect. Sort of hilariously, our house still has major jobs that need doing, but the bunny setup came first. We started levelling the ground and removing hedges for this bad boy back in July last year, and it took us from then until December to actually put it up!

Kind of bittersweet really, because the shed was dedicated to Plumpkin who needed the extra warmth for her fragile body...and she didn't get to spend much time in it :cry: I'm gutted that her and Jellybean didn't get to meet. I'm convinced that they would have been like sisters <3

Amazing set up. Pleased Jelly is coping with it ok & hope it continues to progress well

Thank you Joey&boo <3 Jellybean still seems super frightened of Beatrice this morning, and I don't blame her! Despite being half her size, Beatrice is a meanie. She lunged for her this morning and I put my hand in the way...resulting in a nice deep bite on my finger and lots of blood :shock: Beatrice was exactly the same with Plumpkin for a few days, so I'm waiting for something to give. My fingers are crossed for them

Thank you Joey&boo <3 Jellybean still seems super frightened of Beatrice this morning, and I don't blame her! Despite being half her size, Beatrice is a meanie. She lunged for her this morning and I put my hand in the way...resulting in a nice deep bite on my finger and lots of blood :shock: Beatrice was exactly the same with Plumpkin for a few days, so I'm waiting for something to give. My fingers are crossed for them
Ouch, that sounds painful :cry: I used a plastic dustpan to slide between them when Frosty and Fern started as if to fight, and the distraction worked without any injuries to anybun or me!

Ouch, that sounds painful :cry: I used a plastic dustpan to slide between them when Frosty and Fern started as if to fight, and the distraction worked without any injuries to anybun or me!

This is a great idea Zoobec - I did a similar thing earlier, only with a brush! I've had to bring Jellybean in because she's limping badly :( We're going to check it over but will probably take her to the vet this morning. So gutting.

I'm sorry this has happened :( You do need something to protect your hands in these situations. I use thick gardening gloves. I hope that Jelly is OK. Probably best to get her checked over at the vets to check for any puncture wounds.

I'm sorry this has happened :( You do need something to protect your hands in these situations. I use thick gardening gloves. I hope that Jelly is OK. Probably best to get her checked over at the vets to check for any puncture wounds.

Yes, good idea ! use old skiing gloves, but I’d got complacent and didn’t want to wear them all day and it happened later on when I’d taken them off:roll::lol:

I hope Jelly is ok, sending lots of vibes xx

She has a small graze on her heel which seems to be causing the discomfort. She's way happier now that she's back inside, is eating and hopping about, so I think we're going to leave it for a couple of days and see if it gets better.

The plan now is to wait a couple of weeks and try again but bring them indoors next time.

Back