Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gap between spay and vaccines

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran Amy104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8,199

    Default Gap between spay and vaccines

    Its been many years since I've had a rabbit spayed myself as most have already been done by the rescues.

    Back then advice was at least a 2 week gap between.

    Suzy is having her myxi vac tomorrow, however I have some time off next Fri-Mon and it would be so much easier if I could get her spayed when I'm around to monitor her. I'm thinking this may be too soon though? Any thoughts please?

    She is a very healthy, robust rabbit with no known health issues.

    The RWAF advice says they can be vaccinated 7/10 days post op but doesn't mention the other way round.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    18,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy104 View Post
    Its been many years since I've had a rabbit spayed myself as most have already been done by the rescues.

    Back then advice was at least a 2 week gap between.

    Suzy is having her myxi vac tomorrow, however I have some time off next Fri-Mon and it would be so much easier if I could get her spayed when I'm around to monitor her. I'm thinking this may be too soon though? Any thoughts please?

    She is a very healthy, robust rabbit with no known health issues.

    The RWAF advice says they can be vaccinated 7/10 days post op but doesn't mention the other way round.
    I can't point to any advice on this, which I've read, but my inclination would be to leave it longer than a week. I would feel the same if a rabbit had an infection and/or Stasis and I would want the immune system of the rabbit to be fully back to normal before the challenge of a spay.

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran Amy104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8,199

    Default

    Thank you, I think you're just confirming what I already thought.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    18,025

    Default

    I agree with Omi that a week is not long enough. I would say 2-3 weeks, 3 preferably.

  5. #5
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    4,060

    Default

    You could defer the vaccination and get her spayed next week, then vaccinate a week or so later. Some vets don't do routine ops on Friday in case anything goes wrong over the weekend when they are not open - so check if they will do it. You will also need to take her back after 2 or 3 days for a post-op checkup, so the timing could work for you.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,436

    Default

    It takes 3 weeks for a full immune response to the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine to be established

    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

    So personally I would wait at least that long before having her spayed


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran Amy104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8,199

    Default

    You could defer the vaccination and get her spayed next week, then vaccinate a week or so later. Some vets don't do routine ops on Friday in case anything goes wrong over the weekend when they are not open - so check if they will do it. You will also need to take her back after 2 or 3 days for a post-op checkup, so the timing could work for you.
    I'm super lucky in that my vets open on sat and sun, so i always have my elective ops done on a Friday so I can be home with them. I think I'll wait the 3 weeks then just ask my boss if I can be late one day so I can drop her in like I usually do. I'd rather wait for her spay than take the risk and defer the vaccine.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •