Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcified ear canal ....

Well, my beautiful Lolly is having her ear surgery tomorrow. I'm making extra big fusses of her today because I know she will hate the aftermath of this. But vets I trust very much have told me this is in her best interest so the surgery she will have.

Just as an extra hurdle to deal with - the main road between here and my vets in Harrogate is closed for the next week and the official diversion is going to be horrendously gridlocked at that time of day. So, we will be going on a very pretty drive through the Yorkshire Dales to get to the vets adding about 35% time to our journey ... 32 miles instead of 21! Thankfully it won't yet be hot at that time of day.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    You must be so worried when will she be having the operation?
    Thanks for asking. Cross posted! Tomorrow. We were waiting for someone very experienced to be available to do the surgery as the only other vet who has experience of doing it is on maternity leave.

I think abscess surgeries are usually later in the day as they have to do the "clean" surgeries first and as that is dealing with infection it's last. She will also be staying for quite a few days, possibly a week given the aftercare.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Thanks for asking. Cross posted! Tomorrow. We were waiting for someone very experienced to be available to do the surgery as the only other vet who has experience of doing it is on maternity leave.

I think abscess surgeries are usually later in the day as they have to do the "clean" surgeries first and as that is dealing with infection it's last. She will also be staying for quite a few days, possibly a week given the aftercare.
    Iím sure it is best to have an experienced vet doing the op. Thinking of you and Lolly and sending lots of vibes for her for tomorrow. I hope the journey isnít too bad xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    I’m sure it is best to have an experienced vet doing the op. Thinking of you and Lolly and sending lots of vibes for her for tomorrow. I hope the journey isn’t too bad xx
    Thank you.

Wise Old Thumper

Thinking of you and sending loads of vibes for Lolly tomorrow.

Those roads are a pest. Loads of Lolly vibes. She's in great hands all round

Sending vibes
    Toulouse,Otto & Minnie cats <3

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Lolly is recovering from the GA. The calcified part of the abscess made it so hard and big that there was no way for other wax and debris to escape so the ear canal was full of a lot of nasty gunk. If this hadn't been operated on it would have got very nasty indeed. Ruth already questions whether the facial nerves were being affected by the pressure in that area. She needs a check up next week and then the week after sedation to have the stitches out. Lots more toing and froing for my poor girl but hopefully when the inflammation goes down her ear will feel much better. .. she never told me she was in pain in the first place, bless her, this was picked up on the health check that comes with vaccination.

And it's worth noting for anyone who doesn't know - this problem only happens with lops - selfish humans have bred them to look cute and this is the result because they can't clean their ears themselves as up-eared bunnies do.

you must be relieved she's come through ok & the decision to operate was a wise one. Will she stay in for a few nights? i hope she recovers well

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    you must be relieved she's come through ok & the decision to operate was a wise one. Will she stay in for a few nights? i hope she recovers well
    Yes, she needs to stay a few nights to be given antibiotics and keep the wound clean etc .. and make sure she's eating. She's one of those rabbits that won't eat for a few days after this, when she had her ear washed out it took her a whole week to calm down, bless her. There is a vague possibility the road will have reopened by the time she is ready to come home. However, I need to collect Jesika, probably tomorrow so got it all to do again!