• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a male be the dominant one?

Jaspar0205

Young Bun
Hey guys.

Both rabbits are fixed. Jaspar was already done when I got him and Luna got done in early February.
They both seem to get along fine, I've seen no fighting nor any humping attempts but there are a few things on which I'm not too sure on.
First: He sometimes eats her food even though he has some (and the same amount) and is constantly jumping in her cage. However, when she jumps in his, he chases her out whether or not he's in or out. (Reason that they're in separate cages is because I'm moving soon and the cages are always open even during the night).

Second: He never grooms her, she will force her head under his but he just refuses and she ends up giving in and grooming him.

Third: He always starts the chasing. It's never aggressive (at least it doesn't look it) and it doesn't go on for long but he will just chase her randomly out of the blue and she looks a bit frighten when he does. I've read and seen that the females are usually become the 'boss' over the male. So I'm just curious if in some cases, a male can be 'boss'?

---------
Also another cheeky little question about litter boxes.;)
I'm having issues with Luna using her litter box. She tips her one over no matter how many times are flip it back up. I've tried using a hay rack about the box but she wont use it.
She doesn't go on the floor but she poo and wee all over her cage. She even tips Jaspar's (who is litter trained) over. Is there anyway to stop this and any tips on getting her to use her one? The box isn't small either. It's double her size.

Thanks X

The male can certainly be the dominant one, personally, if they are bonded and free range I would do away with the cages in favour of a bunny proof room or a pen, and it will remove anything to be territorial over. Her hormones might still be subsiding as she’s only recently been spayed so the behaviours might improve over time.

Some bunnies hardly ever groom the other, it’s the other way round with my pair, my girl, Fern demands grooming and my boy, Frosty, is more than happy to oblige. In fact he will groom her regularly without being asked. She rarely returns the favour!

I think the chasing should improve if you can remove the cages and anything else he can be territorial over. You can also neutralise their set up by cleaning and then spraying with a mix of 50/50 White vinegar/water to remove rabbit smells.

I would use a very large litter tray for them both to share, a lot of us use low plastic under bed storage boxes as litter trays, it’s important both rabbits can get in at the same time and eat hay and wee and poop at the same time. I’d use something like wood pellet cat
Litter or newspaper topped with plenty of hay, you can weigh it down with a brick or 2 to stop her trying to tip it.
I would leave the rest of the floor clean of litter, hay etc so she can easily see where the toilet is. And if you clean up stray wee and poops and neutralise with vinegar/water, hopefully it will dissuade her from using the same spot again. Sometimes you need to use more than one litter tray and put them in the spots they want to use as a toilet.

The male can be the dominant, even if it's unusual. You also have some bunnies who don't care at all about hierarchy. I've had a couple with a pretty dominant female and a male who, at first looked as if he was dominant too (refused to groom her and stuff). But in the end, he was just super lazy, not interested in grooming himself or others and not into all of this hierarchy business. It drove the female mad for a few months but she eventually accepted it. It took them a while to strike a friendship, but they got along really well afterwards (and the female was dominant, but tended to clean the male because he was a real pig and she clearly thought he stank).

Back