• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dara- U/D 11th April - Much Better :-)

I'm so relieved to hear Dara is on the mend and I know you must be too. :)
Have already posted to your other thread about the new lad. He is gorgeous and so fortunate to be with you. :thumb: xxxxx

So glad to see Dara looking brighter. Was the pneumonia connected to the vaccination or just a co-incidence?

Glad the other little one is doing better too. Bunnies who find their way to you are very lucky.

Topping up the vibes and prayers xxx

The new stronger vaccines have a tendancy to worsen pre-existing conditions or even make issues that were previously dealt with reappear tenfold. That's the main problem with Nobivac, which is supposedly more efficient than previous vaccines against myxomatosis but have killed a lot more rabbits too (I've heard of rabbits having ileus, pneumonia, previous cured abcess / infections / tumors... coming back suddenly after the injection and so strongly that the rabbits couldn't be saved - there is a pharmaco-vigilance report on Nobivac already and it underestimates the problem a lot). From what I've read about Dara's case, with the timing, I don't thing it can be a coincidence - the vaccination probably made an underlaying issue (which migh not have reared it's head at all without it) flare up.
That's the whole problem : vaccination is great and really useful, but those new vaccines generally haven't been as well tested as we are led to believe. After a lot of protests came about deaths connected to Nobivac, the lab triomphantly communicated a study on a panel of 6 rabbits who got Nobivac, 6 who didn't and 6 who got Nobivac and Filavac, saying they had no problem at all... ('Lack of serological interference following the concurrent use of Nobivac Myxo-RHD and Filava VHD K C+V vaccines in Rabbits' by S. Reemers, L. Peeters, J. van Schindel, S. van de Zande and D. Sutton)
I don't know about you but 12 cases isn't nearly enough to assuage my concerns. As far as I know, the only 100% safe vaccine is Dervaximyxo SG33, a much older vaccine, but you have to ask for it in advance and most vets don't want to order it. A lot of vets are the labs' lackeys and, let's be real, they generally only know what the pamphlet given by the lab tells them - when you try to report a problem about medecine or a vaccine, most vets will tell you it's a coincidence and that it has nothing to do with the product... (vets don't make much of a margin on operations, they make almost all of their money from vaccination and prescription drugs - you pay around 45$ for a vaccine which costs around 0,8$ which is the reason why in countries like mine it is forbidden for anyone other than vets to vaccinate animals and vet syndicates are fighting really hard to keep it that way). Filavac is supposedly quite safe too, but only if your rabbit is not sensitive to vaccination - I probably wouldn't vaccinate a rabbit who has had a reaction before, as those things tend to get worse. My personal rule is : vaccinate young and healthy rabbits. No Nobivac for aging rabbits / rabbits who have had ANY health issue before. No vaccination at all for rabbits who've had a reaction to a vaccine previously, for very old rabbits or for rabbits with a serious history of health problems (my previous rabbit had regular stasis at the end of her life, I wasn't vaccinating anymore as I felt it just wasn't worth the risk). Of course, that's only my opinion... Unfortunately, there is never 0 risk when you take that kind of decisions and it's very frustrating and scary to feel like there is no professional you can 100% trust to help you with this.

Back