• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bread.....

Mubby

Banned
Ive read somewhere that you can give yer buns rock hard bread...

any specific kind ? or how often ?

how big a piece each day would b ok ?

Mubby likes crunchie fings :D

:?: :?: :?:

I used to give Bojangles hard bread, i used to just rip off one of the crust and then rip that in half but he never ate all that. He was a dwarf lop though so not very big. I think brown bread is supposed to be better but Bo would'nt eat that :roll:. He only had it once a week/2weeks as a treat, but he was not really into to treats, he just ate the garden :D he loved his pansy's and dandilions ,rose leaves, grass :D Some dont recomend bread though

mmm not sure really. I suppose you could start off with half a slice. I feed Toby soft bread from the packet and he loves it, as it tends to loose taste toasted :) It's funny most rabbits like hard bread because Toby leaves bread once its hard :lol: I have never found bread harmful towards rabbits, but it does depend on how good your rabbit's stomach is to "new" things.

Hi

My buns all love bread, I don't give it very often, just as a treat or if I need to disguise Baytril in it!! They love it 'soft' or freshly toasted, goes very quickly!! I think it is fattening so too much wouldn't be good but if it agrees with Mubby's tum then I think occasionally as a treat it is ok :) I normally give bout half a slice two to three times a month or whenever we have bread going hard! Brown bread is better I think, mine love either!!

Hope Mubby enjoys the bread :)

Nicola

I just used to take the bread out of the pack and leave it for a few hours, it was rock hard by then, i did'nt know you could toast it :roll:

Yeah I sometimes do that too, buns seem fine with toasted bread as well, specially handy if you over do the toast sometimes! No need to chuck away :D

Denny said:
I just used to take the bread out of the pack and leave it for a few hours, it was rock hard by then

Thats what I do, wholemeal bread. turn it over 1/2 so it goes rock hard all through. Not sure about toasting it though :?
Blueberry loves it but only as a treat.

Both Zeus and Athena will do anything for hard bread - Zeus will stand on his back legs and grab it out my hand - I pretend I have taught him how to beg and my mates are well impressed (but I know he is just so greedy he is trying to get to it faster).

Neither my husband nor I eat the crusts so we leave them out and let them go hard. If we burn toast they get it too (I hate burned toast but they go mad for it). They will eat any kind of bread but they escpecially seemed to quite like this Duchy Original seeded bread I got once.

They only get the crusts and because there is only two of us we don't get through much bread (have to keep it frozen and just defrost slices as we need them) so they get a couple of crusts every week or so.

At the moment I am using it as bribes to get him to take his medication - Athena loves it as she doesn't have to have any medication but gets the treat anyway!

Caz

Naughty i know but bojangles used to love bread sticks (the type used for dipping in your dips) He had to have it wedge through the bars of his hutch though, probably because it was easier to eat :lol: :lol: They were a treat :D

Hiya , a small amount of wholemeal bread, or toasted wholemeal toast is okay for rabbits, but the raising agents (yeast) can cause bloat and gut statis in some rabbits.
I would only recommend giving a small piece of toast a couple of times a week.
A good alternative is French Toast, as this only has Vitamin C as a raising agent and causes less potential problems.

Beware if your rabbit is not a big water drinker that dried foods can cause sluggish gut or statis, and we avoid giving these type of dried foods to any rabbit who has gut statis in the past, or as small dry droppings, or does not eat much hay...please be careful when introducing new foods to any bunny.

Note to Jill if you are reading this...NO BREAD FOR BRODY OR TOTTIE!! :D

Adele said:
Note to Jill if you are reading this...NO BREAD FOR BRODY OR TOTTIE!! :D

Wouldn't dream of it :!: :!: :lol: :lol: They seem happy enough on the Hay diet with a few pellets (which they go mad for when I put them in). I even resisted buying some carrots today :wink:

Adele said:
I would only recommend giving a small piece of toast a couple of times a week

Blimey, that often :shock: Bo was lucky if he got if once a week

Is that toast in a toaster or in the oven :?:

ok now i can confess!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought one of those hard carrot flavour rolls.. cost £1.69!! :shock:
( for hard bread!! :shock: )

soooo... i buy french bread baguettes quite alot.. but i dont eat the ends :lol:

so i cut them off... about an inch or so long... left them to go solid....

and hes been having one end a night for the past week :shock: :lol:

so i thought id better check this was ok! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but think i'll cut down to 2 or 3 times a week now :D

Thanks Adele for the advice, all my buns eat, poo and eat hay well so I think they will be OK :) They don't get it too often anyway. Although Princess isn't always mad on her hay so will limit hers!

Nicola

Hi All,

We were told by a fellow breeder, if you have any old bread that has not gone mouldy to toast it in the oven just put the oven on low put a few slices directly on the oven shelf and leave for about an hour. This can be given each night as a treat about 1/4 slice each bun.
Ours love it especially if it is still warm from the oven.

Regards

Kate

Hi,

My French Lop Billy (House Bun) jumps on my lap and tries to knick my toast out of my hand, I only have malted and he loves it. We have a right game but he only gets a tiny piece.

During the cold winter days I do a small amount for the outside buns and I leave it slightly warm and they love it.

As they say a little bit of something does you good - but only a little!!

Maureen

Mogs said:
Hi,

My French Lop Billy (House Bun) jumps on my lap and tries to knick my toast out of my hand, I only have malted and he loves it. We have a right game but he only gets a tiny piece.

During the cold winter days I do a small amount for the outside buns and I leave it slightly warm and they love it.

As they say a little bit of something does you good - but only a little!!

Maureen

i pwomise only ickle bit :wink:

fanx Mogs!

I cant say no to my toffee nose pal when he looks up at me ! :lol:

Back