• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uterine cancer in rabbits

Hannah1x

New Kit
I was just wondering if anyone had any information/advice regarding uterine cancer in rabbits or have had any experience with it. What route to go down etc surgery?

I was just wondering if anyone had any information/advice regarding uterine cancer in rabbits or have had any experience with it. What route to go down etc surgery?

Surgery is the only option. I would advice that The Vet carries out chest radiographs and a full blood profile first. Uterine cancer spreads, usually to the lungs. Sadly if this has already occurred then surgery will not be curative :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterinePolypsHyperplasiaRabbits.htm

https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/do-rabbits-really-get-womb-cancer/

Surgery is the only option. I would advice that The Vet carries out chest radiographs and a full blood profile first. Uterine cancer spreads, usually to the lungs. Sadly if this has already occurred then surgery will not be curative :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterinePolypsHyperplasiaRabbits.htm

https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/do-rabbits-really-get-womb-cancer/
Thank You for your message. It’s really hard to know what to do and to weigh up the pros and cons.

As Jane says, surgery really is the only option to remove the primary site, and check to see if there has been any spread of the disease. Unspayed does are extremely likely to have uterine cancer - I can't remember the statistics, but it was frighteningly high - something like 80% by 4 years old.

I hope all goes well.

As Jane says, surgery really is the only option to remove the primary site, and check to see if there has been any spread of the disease. Unspayed does are extremely likely to have uterine cancer - I can't remember the statistics, but it was frighteningly high - something like 80% by 4 years old.

I hope all goes well.

Thanks for your message. It’s hard to know what to do as I’ve been told that anaesthetic is risky for a rabbit.

Anaesthetic can be risky but the cancer is worse. If you're at a point where the cancer can be removed then I would do it, I lost one of my old girls due to it as it had spread to a point where they couldn't operate and I'll never forgive myself for not having her spayed

I’m so sorry your rabbit has uterine cancer :cry: I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sending lots of vibes.

If your vet is not rabbit savvy, I would arrange to see one.

Anaesthetics always carry a risk for any species. Many vets carry out surgery on rabbits as a matter of routine, and the anaesthetic risk is very small for an experienced vet. Talk to your vet. If they have little experience in operating on rabbits, I would ask around (or on here) for a recommendation of a rabbit savvy vet in your area that you can go to instead.

Leaving a rabbit with a diagnosis of uterine cancer with no treatment only has one outcome, compared to the risks associated with surgery and a potential good outcome if it has not spread. I'm sure there are people on here who have had rescue rabbits who were spayed later in life and had abnormal changes to the uterus but made a good recovery.

There are no guarantees, but I have put rabbits through some quite major surgery (on jaw abscesses) in a situation where it was by far the better option. I have also had one PTS under anaesthetic as he had an inoperable tumour which was not obvious until he was opened up, and there was no point in allowing him to continue to suffer. Personally, I would not hesitate to go for a surgical option if it was the right option for the rabbit and I had a vet who was used to carrying out similar surgery.

My late Black Velvet had uterine cancer. She was a 5 pound mini rex and approximately 9 years old when she became ill suddenly. After she had an exam and X-rays at the emergency vet she had a few drops of blood come from her privates. She had an operation and my vet showed me what he removed. It was shocking to see how large her tumors were for a bunny her size. I still do not know where she kept them undetected. One of the three tumors was the size of a golf ball and the other two were a bit smaller. Black Velvet recovered well from the surgery and enjoyed several more years of our love and care before she went to the bridge from an unrelated illness.

I am sending you and your girl some positive vibes.

Anaesthetic can be risky but the cancer is worse. If you're at a point where the cancer can be removed then I would do it, I lost one of my old girls due to it as it had spread to a point where they couldn't operate and I'll never forgive myself for not having her spayed

Thank You for your message. I’m so sorry to hear you lost one of your rabbits -you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it though.

My late Black Velvet had uterine cancer. She was a 5 pound mini rex and approximately 9 years old when she became ill suddenly. After she had an exam and X-rays at the emergency vet she had a few drops of blood come from her privates. She had an operation and my vet showed me what he removed. It was shocking to see how large her tumors were for a bunny her size. I still do not know where she kept them undetected. One of the three tumors was the size of a golf ball and the other two were a bit smaller. Black Velvet recovered well from the surgery and enjoyed several more years of our love and care before she went to the bridge from an unrelated illness.

I am sending you and your girl some positive vibes.

That’s amazing that you’re rabbit recovered from the operation and had healthy/happy years after that. I’m so sorry for your loss though. Thank You for your message and kind words.

Anaesthetics always carry a risk for any species. Many vets carry out surgery on rabbits as a matter of routine, and the anaesthetic risk is very small for an experienced vet. Talk to your vet. If they have little experience in operating on rabbits, I would ask around (or on here) for a recommendation of a rabbit savvy vet in your area that you can go to instead.

Leaving a rabbit with a diagnosis of uterine cancer with no treatment only has one outcome, compared to the risks associated with surgery and a potential good outcome if it has not spread. I'm sure there are people on here who have had rescue rabbits who were spayed later in life and had abnormal changes to the uterus but made a good recovery.

There are no guarantees, but I have put rabbits through some quite major surgery (on jaw abscesses) in a situation where it was by far the better option. I have also had one PTS under anaesthetic as he had an inoperable tumour which was not obvious until he was opened up, and there was no point in allowing him to continue to suffer. Personally, I would not hesitate to go for a surgical option if it was the right option for the rabbit and I had a vet who was used to carrying out similar surgery.

Thank You for your message and all your advice.

I’m so sorry your rabbit has uterine cancer :cry: I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sending lots of vibes.

If your vet is not rabbit savvy, I would arrange to see one.

Thank You for your message, I really appreciate it.

I've had several with Uterine cancer including one that was spayed but it originated where the uterus would have been and was probably there when she was spayed

Thanks for your message. It’s hard to know what to do as I’ve been told that anaesthetic is risky for a rabbit.

Anaesthetic is really not all that risky for rabbits nowadays, as long as the vet uses gaz. I've recently adopted two older does and got them spayed (one of them had an enormous cyst in an abnormal uterus) and reviewed the numbers from the House Rabbit society (which has had hundred of rabbits spayed) and the French society of rabbit welfare. From their observations, the risk is around 0.2 to 0.5% Very few rabbits die because of the anesthesia.
Of course, operate or not is a personal decision.
If I had a rabbit with uterine cancer, I would get her spayed ASAP. At this point, you can't know if it will be enough to save her but that's the only thing you can do to give her a fighting chance.

Back