• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone experience of daily antibiotic injections for their rabbit please?

It sounds like the syringes are a problem. Do you draw up the meds and inject with the same needle? I’m glad that you are managing overall, and that he’s eating something at least.

Maybe the vet can advise on the syringes and needles? He sounds like a very good bunny :love: topping up the vibes for him xx

Maybe it’s not flowing through the needle nicely? I found I got on better with the blue (23g) needles. I sometimes got blue and sometimes green from the vets initially so I started requesting the blue ones. In the end as Nutmeg was on it long term it was cheaper for me to order online...

These are the ones but I ordered from VetUK... https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Syringes-Needles/Sterile-Needles/Terumo-Sterile-Needles

I think the green maybe are narrower and thicker medications don’t go through them so easily? Trade off is they are a bit harder to get through the skin but I preferred that as that way I could feel when I’d got it in properly.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, been back again! I will be on their xmas Do I go that often!

So its blue needles but the vet today was saying how the syringe and the needle are very thin and the antibiotic is sort of gluppy and thick. She recommended fresh syringe and needle each time. Which is what i have done for the past 2 days and its working and today worked too.

Hes lost weight again. he started at 2.7 then with all the picnic food went to 2.9 and now is 2.5 but theres no picnic food to speak of. Looking back on his vaccination chart he was 2.3 when he first came to us. The vet isnt concerned as he still has 'a good covering' lol he is just playing me a bit I think, he will eat mushed pellet and some garden things but if he just waits patiently I get out banana and grapes! He is drinking easier now from the bowl. Everything just seems so slow for him with so many teeth missing, I do feel really sorry for him, poor old lad and he trots off when he sees me approach, Ive either got a needle, a syringe or a bottle to do something to him. As outside buns originally they must be stressed with people being around them in the house all the time. Having said that they still make no attempt to escape when the patio doors are open

He has had his tail clipped of all poo so came home and did a full circuit of the lounge so he must feel 'lighter'.

I do wonder if he is 'secret' eating when I go to bed?

I’m glad you’ve got the injections sorted :thumb: it sounds like he’s doing well considering. Maybe you need a bunny cam to spy on him :thumb:

Good work sorting out the injections.
Tonight I felt like a bully when I had to give medical/supportive care to my sweet Gemini even though I know it is over quickly and it helps him feel better. He always forgives me, though he may take minutes or hours.

Back