• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone experience of daily antibiotic injections for their rabbit please?

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
The abscess behind Ozzies eye/above teeth.....
So he had 2 weeks of oral human antibiotics and has had 2 weeks with none.

He saw a different vet this week and it has been decided after discussion amongst the practices vets and a rabbit vet at another practice that Ozzie would benefit from a long term course of antibiotics as we still have some eye bulge (although much improved).

Cost unfortunately has to be a factor and the oral bottle lasts a week at £20.

But I could learn to inject!!!!! GULP and it would be roughly the same cost for a much longer course.

So my phobia was eyes, I have more or less over come that in the last 5 weeks! with hourly eye drops etc. Needles are ok but as a domestic cleaner it aint something Ive ever dealt with lol.

Has anyone out there any experience please.

He saw a different vet this week and it has been decided after discussion amongst the practices vets and a rabbit vet at another practice that Ozzie would benefit from a long term course of antibiotics as we still have some eye bulge (although much improved).

But I could learn to inject!!!!! GULP and it would be roughly the same cost for a much longer course.

So my phobia was eyes, I have more or less over come that in the last 5 weeks! with hourly eye drops etc. Needles are ok but as a domestic cleaner it aint something Ive ever dealt with lol.

I presume this is Penicillin? I have given these injections to some of my rabbits. I found it scary to begin with, but once you get the hang of it it's really quite simple. Much more simple in my view that trying to give meds orally! None of my rabbits have ever given the impression that they felt any pain from the injection, so none of them have struggled. Your vet should give you the opportunity to have a practical lesson on how to do it with one of the vet nurses. They will then watch you do it and give any necessary tips. Basically, you make a tent in the scruff of the neck and inject into that. You must avoid getting any on the rabbit's fur as it is toxic if it is ingested orally or quickly wipe it off.

There are a few other things I would advise. Other people will probably think of others. Keep the medicine in the fridge, but remove it beforehand to bring it to room temperature. Give the bottle a good shake before drawing up the medication. Penicillin sometimes has a tendency to 'clog up' in the syringe and this is probably the key thing to try to avoid. Use a different needle to inject to that which you have used to draw up the meds.

And try to relax :)

Yes, millions of times over the last 21 years. Your Vet should show you how to do it and it really is not as scary as you may think. IMO it is MUCH less stressful for both Bunny and me to give meds by injection rather than orally.

A wee video for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Ltpi66a4

The needles and syringes may be cheaper online than through your vet. You will also need a sharps bin which you can take back to your vet for disposal. Hopefully JJ will have some current links. I used Medisave and another supplier (can't remember which). Check with your vet which needles you need (they tend to be colour coded for hole size). 2ml syringes used to be a lot cheaper than 1ml, but it depends on the dose you are drawing up if these would be accurate enough.

Always use a fresh / new needle to inject. They get noticeably blunt going in through the rubber seal to load up a dose. I used to use one needle to load up a few days' worth of depocillin syringes so they were ready to go, and put a new needle on each one as it was loaded. Check with your vet if this would be OK for what they prescribe, though. I was originally given a weeks worth of pre-loaded syringes by a vet after some dental surgery, so I just carried on with the same routine at home.

You will soon get used to injecting and it probably is easier than oral meds once you get the hang of it. Don't worry if it goes slightly wrong - needles can come off (check it is on firmly before you start), or you can go right through the other side. Just take it very steady and wipe away any drug that gets on the skin / fur straight away.

I would have found it much easier if I had actually held the needle and done an injection under supervision, rather than just being shown and talked through how to do it. You can always get a vet nurse to help for a day or two until you are more confident.

Thanks everyone:love:

Hes such a placid boy, I can now just bend down and put drops in his eye sometimes without getting him in the litter tray where hes sort of cornered.

He loves a syringe of anything lol, what hes had so far has been sweet tasting, for a rabbit of very little brain he quickly worked that one out!

THe vet is going to order 'everything' in for my appointment on Tuesday night. If he benefits from it then its a no-brainer really.

Today weve made progress, I was about to make his pellet porriage but got sidetracked. Came back to the lounge and he was carefully munching hard pellets, not many but its a start.

I had to give Gordon daily penicillin injections when he had resp issues. I don't have a steady hand at all so was quite worried, but found it quite easy on him to lift the skin on the back of his neck to make a tent and then push the needle in until I felt the 'pop' then move my hand down to the end of the syringe and push. I was expecting the skin to be thinner/easier to push the needle in but soon got used to how it should feel. Best of luck with him!

Years ago they did not have oral forms of some of the antibiotics we used on our pets; so I had to learn to inject. Your vet will show you how/where to inject your bunny. I once had a type of antibiotic I was told to inject in the muscle, instead of under tented skin.

I gave Lightning daily injections for eight months, but now those who need them are on an injection every three days, for life. Wish is on about her fifth year on them. I also inject fluids when needed. Being able to inject makes things a lot easier for much medicating and nursing at home. When I started I'd have someone help hold the bunny still, and always do it when the vets were open, but now I can do it myself, without help, whenever there's a need. You'll get used to it and it'll pay off in all ways :)

I had to give Nutmeg daily injections for about 18 months. I’d do it while she had her morning pellets and it was very straightforward once I got the hang of it. Didn’t even have to pick her up. Much, much easier than giving medication orally (other than Metacam!).

No experience of this, but just wanted to apologise for the delay in responding to your PM. I don't get on the forum so much now and don't seem to get email notifications of PMs anymore. ( I clearly need to adjust my settings).

Following on from my response to your PM - Nancy's 2 eye drops were Isathal (antibiotic) and Remend (for corneal damage).

So Ozzie is now on daily depocillin injectiions. The vet did it then she let me try with what I took to be saline/water. Thought I had got it but then after his back was wet so maybe not. Im going to try at home tomorrow and she said if I dont manage by Thursday to just pop back in to see the nurse and have another lesson.

Have to say I was shaking when doing it, there was the vet plus a nurse plus 2 girls on placement watching me, no pressure lol.

Ozzie wont eat anything but banana and his pellet porriage and has lost 200g in about 2 and half weeks, this is the time he hasnt had any antibiotics. When he was on them for the 1st two weeks he at greens and dandilion leaves and grass. So hopefully when these kick in he will be doing that again.

The abscess is still draining, remaining teeth are ok. He can now properly close his eye and although its not pretty I dont care. He still has the ulcer but its not getting any worse so hopefully with the remend and the tear eye drops we will get there.

I’ll always remember watching a tv vets programme following trainee vets and one of them injecting through the skin and out the other side, so you aren’t the first! I’m sure you will get used to it :thumb:

Sending lots more vibes to Ozzie xx

I’ll always remember watching a tv vets programme following trainee vets and one of them injecting through the skin and out the other side, so you aren’t the first! I’m sure you will get used to it :thumb:

Sending lots more vibes to Ozzie xx

This can happen with injections under the skin and I have even poked the needle right through into my own hand. The other reason skin can be wet is because the liquid is seeping out of the needle hole. This is more likely when a bunny's skin is not as elastic due to dehydration or with bunnies with thinner skin. You may want to try holding the skin together after withdrawing the needle.
Another tip is to make sure the needle is securely on the syringe before starting, even if it is assembled in the package. It is rare, but I have had the needle pop off the syringe as I was giving the injection.
Of course, giving oral meds also has its challenges.

Well Ive done it on my own twice now, rather proud.
1st time no problem
last night I missed so had to wipe off the liquid and start again, Ozzie was fine.

He even attempted a dandilion last night, not done that since he was on oral antibiotics.

Only problem is he has a dirty bum and I only bum check a couple of times a week now they are inside. His tail has a love dried mass of poop. Hes not bothered, I am. I think the combo of various meds, stress and banana may have contributed to this. So my weekend project is to try and carefully peel, wash it off. Oh the joys of bunny ownership!

Well done on the injections :thumb: Ozzie sounds a perfect patient bless him. Sorry to hear about his mucky bum, yes it's important to keep the area clean, even on indoor buns. Next time he has a vet visit, you could ask if they can clip some of the fur around the area, it's much easier to keep clean then. I do this with my Treacle, who sometimes gets a bit messy. You are doing a great job with Ozzie !

I’m so glad you are doing well with the injections, and that he’s doing well. I agree with Pets Mum about a hair clip around his bottom so that it’s easier to clean. Giving him a bottom bath and soaking it first might help loosen it off.

I am proud of you too. This skill will serve you well in the future too. Your bunny is so lucky to have you.
My Gemini sometimes gets a mucky bum and he is an indoor bunny too. Others have given you good advice to clip his fur. When washing his bum, I let my bunny decide how much cleaning he will tolerate before getting stressed. Sometimes he will sit in a small plastic box lined with a towel with just a little lukewarm water for a few minutes. It may not all be removed in one attempt.

Last edited:
One step forward two back!

So Friday poor old lad must have felt like a pin cushion. I either didnt get the needle in and had to wipe him or I got it in then the plunger jammed. I really need at least 3 hands!
Saturday bearing in mind I was going to London at 11am and I live near Leeds, I was at the vets having another lesson in injecting. Came home failed 3 times. Went to London.

Got home at midnight, hubby had done all eyedrops, food and loxicom.
Today home alone I did it, plunger stuck again, different syringe. But I knew how much he had received so took it out, got it to empty then refilled the remainder and it did it no problem.

I think personally its the syringes, they are different to the 1st two I was given, its as if they air lock??

Anyway tonight he has eaten a blade of grass, a bit of another bunny weed that i dont know the name of and a bit of spring green and a bit of pear. That counts as solids to me and a step forward.

We are back at the vets Tuesday, when I will ask about his bum if Ive not got any success, we have got bits off when hes in the right mood, hes so patient and placid with all thats gone on.

Now they are definately staying as house buns I am going to look at house bun set ups.

Back