• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed, Not eating :(

SandyBunny

Young Bun
Sandy was spayed at around 10AM this morning. She's on pain relief, but issue is, she can't come home, vet wants to keep her in as she's not eating and drinking on her own but is moving around.

Is it normal for this to happen? I'm worried she'll develop gut stasis. They are syringe feeding her until she starts eating on her own.

My other rabbit is eating, but seems miserable Sandy isn't in the same room as him :(

You will have to go along with what your Vet has decided. Personally I think she would be better off back home with her friend to comfort her but hopefully she will be home tomorrow. If she is still slow to eat pick some fresh grass if you can, this is usually their favourite. Hope she is eating soon.

It's not unusual for a bunny not to eat after a spay. When I had a bun spayed she took about three days before she would eat for herself.

I've found vets can take different approaches when deciding whether to keep in a bun who isn't eating for themselves. Some will prefer to err on the side of caution and have them stay in so they can closely monitor them. Others seem to feel they will do better in their familiar environment, particularly if the owner is confident they will be able to syringe feed successfully for as long as necessary. Do you know if she's passed any poo since the op?

The possibility of gut stasis is always a worry after a big op but they will be keeping a very close eye on her and will do everything to make sure her gut doesn't slow down.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sandy was spayed at around 10AM this morning. She's on pain relief, but issue is, she can't come home, vet wants to keep her in as she's not eating and drinking on her own but is moving around.

Is it normal for this to happen? I'm worried she'll develop gut stasis. They are syringe feeding her until she starts eating on her own.

My other rabbit is eating, but seems miserable Sandy isn't in the same room as him :(

I think it is probably wise for the Vet to keep your Bunny in to ensure her GI tract motility returns to normal. She will no doubt be receiving additional medication as well as pain relief and syringe feeds. A spay is a major op' so it is not at all unusual for the Bunny to not want to eat for themselves for the first 24 hours after surgery. Try not to worry too much, she will all most certainly be feeling a lot better by tomorrow morning xx

I agree with what's been said. It's a tough one, as you never know what a bunny is going to be like when they are back home. They might really perk up as a result of being in a familiar environment, or they might not, and then it all becomes really worrying and stressful. I'm sure you'll get some better news tomorrow. :)

I agree with the other replies too. It's a very long while since I had a rabbit spayed but I do remember it being a very stressful time and that Bubbles ate hardly anything the first night.

It's a hard one to call sometimes. Often a rabbit may do much better at home in their usual surroundings so vets might opt to send them home but, similarly, it's also not unusual for them to err on the side of caution and keep bunny in for careful monitoring, regular syringe feeding and top up meds if needed. I'm sure your bunny is in good hands and you will hear good news tomorrow. xx

I must have been very lucky with my bridge girl Cleo .She was eating at the vets,tucking in to fresh spinach.Then when she came home we had her on cage rest ,within half an hour of coming home she leapt out of her cage to be beside her carpet slob husbun Rio.We of course panicked trying to catch her and shoo her back into the cage,in the end she wanted to lie beside him so we just left her.Sadly we lost her to bloat at four years old years later.

I can’t add anything to what everyone else has said, so I’m sending lots of vibes for herxx

I hope that Sandy will be feeling much brighter and able to return home this morning. I'd make sure you insist on her being prescribed at least 5 days of analgesic cover (usually Metacam/Loxicom) should the Vet not have already done so. Topping up the recovery vibes for Sandy :love:

I've gotten two rabbits spayed 9 days ago. I took them home a few hours afterwards. A rabbit not eating for 24h after a spay is completely normal and, in my opinion, doesn't warrant force-feeding as it is stressful and the rabbit is sore already. One of my does bounced back fast and started to eat on her own after 24 hours, I just had to wave a leaf in front of her face - she pooped immediately afterwards and needed no help whatsoever (she just got 3 days of metacam). The second one wouldn't eat on her own for 3 days (I just gave critical care at home). After a while she seemed fed-up with the syringe and began to eat something everytime she saw me with it. When they started to eat on their own again, both of them would only eat carrot tops for a day, then turnip leaves and parsley the day after before they were eating everything normally again. Don't worry too much - a spay is a big operation so it's normal for your rabbit to not be herself for a few days. It took about a week for mine to be 100% normal but both of my does are around 5 years and one of them had a gigantic cyst in her uterus so she got a huge incision.

I hope Sandy has had a good overnight at the vets, and has managed to eat for herself. Really hope she will be back home with you this morning xx

Hope there is a good update from the vet for you and that sandy is starting to eat on her own. My two girls took almost a week to get back to normal and was syringe feeding for all that time. Sending lots of speedy recovery vibes

Back