• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gripe water dose

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Hi - Rambo has a grumbly tummy (been in stasis and had dental yesterday) - I have been giving infacol 1ml twice a day but going to try gripe water as heard some people use this and it can be more effective to disperse any gas.

How much do people use and how often?

I’ve not used it so can’t advise, but I’m bumping up for you. Sending lots of vibes for Rambo. Is Rambo on painkillers and gut meds, I would ask the vet for advise.

I usually give 1ml every couple of hours and it often resolves the problem within that time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not used it so can’t advise, but I’m bumping up for you. Sending lots of vibes for Rambo. Is Rambo on painkillers and gut meds, I would ask the vet for advise.

Thank you and Yes, he is on metacam and metaclopromide. Vet had said to continue with the infacol and I had mentioned I might try the gripe water.

I usually give 1ml every couple of hours and it often resolves the problem within that time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - I gave him 1ml about 4pm and then again about 8 (1ml but he is currently 4.4kg so quite big - usually 5kg). I will give him some more before bed.

I would give the Vet a call and ask about adding Ranitidine (Zantac) to his prescribed Meds. Not only can this aid gut motility, working on the lower GI tract, but it also protects the GI tract from ulceration. When a Bunny has a reduced food intake GI tract ulceration can occur, NSAIDs (eg Metacam) can also cause gastric ulceration, especially when given on a relatively empty stomach and/or at the higher dose rate.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

Others have given you good advice.
I did not notice if you indicated if Rambo was eating on his own or if you were syringe feeding.

Thanks Jane - I asked about Zantac when I picked him up. He had been given that on the day but they would not give me to take away as well as metaclopromide. I will ask again.

Bunny Momma - he is eating veg himself (quite a lot) and some pellets but we are supplementing by hand feeding as it was minimal on his own. He is also nibbling at hay.

This morning he seems brighter and has been taking some different pellets which he was not previously been doing (I have a selection including pro-fibre :oops: )

Post dental last time Frosty was on metacam, metaclopromide and then finally Zantac as he wasn’t eating properly due to ulcers on his tongue, the Zantac was like a miracle cure when he had that. He’d also been having a gripey tummy from the metaclopromide on an almost empty tummy. It took 10 days to pull him back to anything like normal.

Topping up the vibes for Rambo xx

Thanks Jane - I asked about Zantac when I picked him up. He had been given that on the day but they would not give me to take away as well as metaclopromide. I will ask again.

Bunny Momma - he is eating veg himself (quite a lot) and some pellets but we are supplementing by hand feeding as it was minimal on his own. He is also nibbling at hay.

This morning he seems brighter and has been taking some different pellets which he was not previously been doing (I have a selection including pro-fibre :oops: )

The drugs work well in synergy

See pages 3/4 on here :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Thanks Jane, that is useful.
He seemed to improve last night and today but I still don't think he is passing enough poop but he is passing poop.

Thanks Jane, that is useful.
He seemed to improve last night and today but I still don't think he is passing enough poop but he is passing poop.

It can take a few days for GI tract motility to return to normal. What's his hay and water intake like ?

One other thing that comes to mind, he hadn't been out eating a lot of grass just prior to his 'gassy tummy' problems had he ? Grass is very rich at this time of year and some Bunnies can gorge on it and end up with a very sore tummy.

He is a lot brighter today thankfully. He came out in the garden on his own and had a good hop round and nibble at the grass.

He is a bit on the lazy side so don't think he had been gorging on grass, although it has been in the mix along with moult as to what it could be.

I do think that it was the spurs (although small) maybe caused him some discomfort which slowed down his food intake and it is just taking time to get his gut back to normal. He showed all the classic signs I used to see with Homer.

He is drinking OK and last night / today he has also increased his hay intake.

He is a lot brighter today thankfully. He came out in the garden on his own and had a good hop round and nibble at the grass.

He is a bit on the lazy side so don't think he had been gorging on grass, although it has been in the mix along with moult as to what it could be.

I do think that it was the spurs (although small) maybe caused him some discomfort which slowed down his food intake and it is just taking time to get his gut back to normal. He showed all the classic signs I used to see with Homer.

He is drinking OK and last night / today he has also increased his hay intake.

It sounds as though he is on the mend, thank goodness. Hopefully in a couple more days he will be 100% back to normal xx

He is back to normal now Jane. We got some extra metaclopromide for a few days to be on the safe side but he is really bright in himself :love:

Thank you xxx

Back