• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food ideas for dental bunny

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
So Ozzie continues to go from strength to strength regarding his eye, thank goodness! Still on hourly eye drops of 3 different varieties, (Ive now got a rota up!) plus loxicom daily

Regarding his diet since his big dental.... Hes on pellets with added water so like a pellet porriage, he gets 2 or 3 bowls a day. He will sometimes eat dandilion leaves if the mood takes him.
He can polish off banana and pears in a blink. Will sometimes eat a bit of broccolli head. If I pester him long enough he might eat a bit of mint

He wont touch hay of any sort, or readigrass, or grass, carrot/parsnips in any shape size or slithers.

I even did the deadly sin and bought cheap bunny mix they both ignored it! Ive tried crumbling various treat stick things too.

I just worry about a healthy variety. Also is there any way at all to get hay down him. He used to be such a hay monster, he must miss it.

Many thanks

Will he eat fresh or dried herbs? Frosty is a dental bunny and post dental isn’t keen on fresh herbs but likes the sweet green herb mixes from nature’s own :thumb:

Does he have a favourite hay? The only thing I can think of is to cut it up somehow.

Not sure when Ozzie had his dental, but I've found it can take a few days to get back to hay eating. Is it possible that Ozzie had a bit of an ulcer prior to the dental ? Could be his mouths still a bit tender. I've found Treacle can eat green hay cookies if I break them up for her.

Hi. 5th March was his dental. The eye ulcer is from the tooth abcess pushing his eye so he couldn't blink. He's really been through the wars.

What are green hay cookies please x

Hi. 5th March was his dental. The eye ulcer is from the tooth abcess pushing his eye so he couldn't blink. He's really been through the wars.

What are green hay cookies please x

Poor bun, certainly has been through the wars. Hay cookies are made from chopped compressed hay. I bought the green hay cookies online from Naturesownpets, sorry I can't send you the link, doesn't seem to work on my old iPad !

Poor bun, certainly has been through the wars. Hay cookies are made from chopped compressed hay. I bought the green hay cookies online from Naturesownpets, sorry I can't send you the link, doesn't seem to work on my old iPad !

Thank you, I will have a google x

So Ozzie continues to go from strength to strength regarding his eye, thank goodness! Still on hourly eye drops of 3 different varieties, (Ive now got a rota up!) plus loxicom daily

Regarding his diet since his big dental.... Hes on pellets with added water so like a pellet porriage, he gets 2 or 3 bowls a day. He will sometimes eat dandilion leaves if the mood takes him.
He can polish off banana and pears in a blink. Will sometimes eat a bit of broccolli head. If I pester him long enough he might eat a bit of mint

He wont touch hay of any sort, or readigrass, or grass, carrot/parsnips in any shape size or slithers.

I even did the deadly sin and bought cheap bunny mix they both ignored it! Ive tried crumbling various treat stick things too.

I just worry about a healthy variety. Also is there any way at all to get hay down him. He used to be such a hay monster, he must miss it.

Many thanks

I've never tried it first hand, but I've read raving reviews for "cunipic dental" for bunnies with dental problems (including from people very knowledgeable about rabbits). I don't think it can be a main food, but rabbits seem to love it and some people even said they thought it slowed the reappearance of new dental problems so I'd probably try it to replace pellets if I had a bunny with bad teeth. I hope you find more things that work for him, a bunny who won't eat is very frustrating and stressful!

Have you tried cutting a handful of grass up with scissors into very short pieces (eg 3mm) and mixing them in with his softened pellets? It would increase his fibre intake without needing to be chewed.

Back