• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding tonight update 7/4/19

I am so sorry things aren't going very well. Rabbits can be very difficult at times and we get very disheartened.

I can completely understand how disheartened you are with your two girls. I can imagine how stressed you must be with it all and it must seem like there is always something to worry about with them. I would suggest though that you don't make any firm decisions about whether they should live together or separately. I don't think you should judge how they are atm with how they might be when they both feel 100% well.

I don't want to come across as telling you what to do, but what I would do is to be patient, make some changes to their diet and then reassess. Several rabbits on here are being fed on a hay-only diet. You could also supplement the hay with forage and also tree leaves. I'm a big, big fan of tree leaves for bunnies' digestion and they also contain lots of fibre for their teeth. Sticks, from rabbit friendly trees, to nibble on are also good.

I can completely understand how disheartened you are with your two girls. I can imagine how stressed you must be with it all and it must seem like there is always something to worry about with them. I would suggest though that you don't make any firm decisions about whether they should live together or separately. I don't think you should judge how they are atm with how they might be when they both feel 100% well.

I don't want to come across as telling you what to do, but what I would do is to be patient, make some changes to their diet and then reassess. Several rabbits on here are being fed on a hay-only diet. You could also supplement the hay with forage and also tree leaves. I'm a big, big fan of tree leaves for bunnies' digestion and they also contain lots of fibre for their teeth. Sticks, from rabbit friendly trees, to nibble on are also good.

It’s been non stop since we got them but that’s not the only thing I’m basing it on. I don’t think I can bond Harlequin. In new inviroments she throws herself at walls so bonding in a neutral enviroment is out. I was in tears when we started bonding in the bathroom and then ( she also does it at the vets if she can get free) it calmed down but she started again the next morning which is why I moved them back to the pen which I knew was risky.

We currently have lots of diffrent types of dried forrage but although they have not been as bad with stasis on it as they were when trying fresh veg they do still have episodes quiet frequently. I wasn’t thinking of stopping the twigs we use but they arnt really intrested in them apart from willow tubes. I will see what I can find out about tree leaves and look into it. It’s all constructive criticism so I’ll take it all on board but I have to do what I think is best for them.

All of mine are basically are on all hay diets, (Atticus and Clementine are absolutely on all hay because of Atticus) but I rarely feed pellets and sometimes they get veg and forage (white buns I'm talking about here) but tbh.. Those are treats.. It's all about the hay here :)

I do feed apple and pear twigs daily though for everyone :) sometimes these have leaves on depends on season tho.

I think rabbits can do well on mainly a hay diet :)

All of mine are basically are on all hay diets, (Atticus and Clementine are absolutely on all hay because of Atticus) but I rarely feed pellets and sometimes they get veg and forage (white buns I'm talking about here) but tbh.. Those are treats.. It's all about the hay here :)

I do feed apple and pear twigs daily though for everyone :) sometimes these have leaves on depends on season tho.

I think rabbits can do well on mainly a hay diet :)

Thank you for this Graciee.

I’m not doing it because I want to but I have to. I feel wretched for not giving them more veriaty but if it’s going to keep them healthy then that’s what matters.

Had to start syringe feeding again as they’ve stopped eating for the 3rd time.

Thank you for this Graciee.

I’m not doing it because I want to but I have to. I feel wretched for not giving them more veriaty but if it’s going to keep them healthy then that’s what matters.

Had to start syringe feeding again as they’ve stopped eating for the 3rd time.
Honestly dw about! I felt the same about Atticus to begin with but it's honestly fine :)

Once the teeth issue is under control or you can see if just eating hay is helping.. You can always introduce some other stuff in the future :)

Plus 5 pellets each a day as a treat isn't gunna fill them up imo so they'd still have to eat loads of hay - if you're worried about vitamins they'd lack etc

Sorry you're back to syringing :( it's tough isn't it. They're both so lucky to have you caring for them though :)

Honestly dw about! I felt the same about Atticus to begin with but it's honestly fine :)

Once the teeth issue is under control or you can see if just eating hay is helping.. You can always introduce some other stuff in the future :)

Plus 5 pellets each a day as a treat isn't gunna fill them up imo so they'd still have to eat loads of hay - if you're worried about vitamins they'd lack etc

Sorry you're back to syringing :( it's tough isn't it. They're both so lucky to have you caring for them though :)

I’m not worried about the vitamins. I think the vet would have mentioned it if it was going to be an issue but I’ll double check at the next apointment.

I was going to add tiny amounts of dried forrage from naters own after a while if the hay only goes ok. I’ll reintroduce them really slowly maybe one a month and not every day and no where near the quantitys they are eating it now. 5g looks quiet big.

Back