• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does every one feed their adult rabbits?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
We are just about at the age where I need to swap the girls over to adult pellets.

I was wondering what people’s views were on some of them.

I’m with The Healthy Pet Club and they do a bag of excel every month but I can’t remember rightly if some one said it gave rabbits poopy bottom?

I feed my two a mixture of russell rabbit and excel nuggets. I found a range of excel indoor rabbit the other month and thought that was really good but not seen it since. I'm a bit fortunate because I work in a pet food wholesaler and I get all my food from the shop at work, along with the odd treat to try. Miine seem to do ok with the pellets.
Hope this helps.

We are just about at the age where I need to swap the girls over to adult pellets.

I was wondering what people’s views were on some of them.

I’m with The Healthy Pet Club and they do a bag of excel every month but I can’t remember rightly if some one said it gave rabbits poopy bottom?
I've never had an issues with excel I've fed um 7 buns on it now, never had that issue :)

You can always try it and see how it goes, what do you feed now?

I feed mine just hay mainly everything else is very minimal, they get veggies sometimes, forage sometimes, pellets sometimes, I've been feeding science selective grain free and excel together but this is more as a treat, we don't really have a routine anymore tbh with you. Also fibre first sometimes.. Idk if this is good or bad [emoji38] they get science selective loops a few each a day, normal whoever they can guilt into doing so [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I wonder if routine is helpful or not.. Mine seem absolutely fine though. Clementine gets the worst deal as she lives with Atticus and he basically only has hay and certain things.. So she doesn't get much either [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I feed my two a mixture of russell rabbit and excel nuggets. I found a range of excel indoor rabbit the other month and thought that was really good but not seen it since. I'm a bit fortunate because I work in a pet food wholesaler and I get all my food from the shop at work, along with the odd treat to try. Miine seem to do ok with the pellets.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Craig. Do you mean the musli Russel rabbit? I did look online and that was all I could find for it. It does help. I was thinking about getting a bag of the excel monthly although we get through no where near that but was thinking about trying to regularly donate to a rabbit rescue near me so the pellets could go towards that.

I've never had an issues with excel I've fed um 7 buns on it now, never had that issue :)

You can always try it and see how it goes, what do you feed now?

I feed mine just hay mainly everything else is very minimal, they get veggies sometimes, forage sometimes, pellets sometimes, I've been feeding science selective grain free and excel together but this is more as a treat, we don't really have a routine anymore tbh with you. Also fibre first sometimes.. Idk if this is good or bad [emoji38] they get science selective loops a few each a day, normal whoever they can guilt into doing so [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I wonder if routine is helpful or not.. Mine seem absolutely fine though. Clementine gets the worst deal as she lives with Atticus and he basically only has hay and certain things.. So she doesn't get much either [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I feed 7g oxbow junior at the moment as well as 7g of dried mixed forage each and along with 3 types of hay ( soon to be 5) the very ocashnal fengreek crunchy and we’re taking a break from fresh hurbs as they got really disinterested in those oh and just ordered 2kg of fiber first.

I forgot to feed pellets once or twice and Beauty decided to bite me to remind me then for a few days I got nips untill I didn’t forget. I think I have a fiery little Madame their :lol:

I’m thinking to give it a try and see how we go. Maybe just swapping liver 1g a day.

Yes it's the muselli version. The drawback is that it kind of makes for selective feeding - and watching Lillian, it's very apparent. She scoffs the crunchy coloured bits first, then hoovers up the dried micronized flaked corn, and leaves the big chunky pellets and bits of seed until she's desperate. Whereas the excel means they eat the whole stuff. I've reduced what I feed them and found that at night now, a small handful in each bowl (they have 2) is usually cleared by the morning. Lillian and Henry tend to (as they are right now) tucking into supper - fresh cabbage, chopped celery and a bit of parsley and they'll nom that for the next 10 minutes. Obviously during the night, one (or both) gets hungry and they scoff the dried food. By the time I get up at 5:30am, Lillian is up and looking for breakfast so she hoovers up what's left and I usually hang back giving them anything until Lillian starts tearing strips off a specific file in the living room - her signal for "feed me now hooman".
I thknk your idea of donating to a local rescue is utterly lovely and applaud you so much.
If you wish, I can send you some samples of the russel rabbit and excel to try out? You can always PM me your address if you want to try - it's absolutley no trouble.

Yes it's the muselli version. The drawback is that it kind of makes for selective feeding - and watching Lillian, it's very apparent. She scoffs the crunchy coloured bits first, then hoovers up the dried micronized flaked corn, and leaves the big chunky pellets and bits of seed until she's desperate. Whereas the excel means they eat the whole stuff. I've reduced what I feed them and found that at night now, a small handful in each bowl (they have 2) is usually cleared by the morning. Lillian and Henry tend to (as they are right now) tucking into supper - fresh cabbage, chopped celery and a bit of parsley and they'll nom that for the next 10 minutes. Obviously during the night, one (or both) gets hungry and they scoff the dried food. By the time I get up at 5:30am, Lillian is up and looking for breakfast so she hoovers up what's left and I usually hang back giving them anything until Lillian starts tearing strips off a specific file in the living room - her signal for "feed me now hooman".
I thknk your idea of donating to a local rescue is utterly lovely and applaud you so much.
If you wish, I can send you some samples of the russel rabbit and excel to try out? You can always PM me your address if you want to try - it's absolutley no trouble.

Sounds like you have a good routine going there. I’m glad they both generally eat it all for you.

Thank you for the offer of samples. I will pm in a bit.

Currently I’m playing throw the pellets out of what mummy says is the cup and eat as many as I can before the hooman can put them back in so I can start again. You see I’m training my hoomans to tidy up after me and it keeps them occupied and out of trouble.

Princess Beauty

I stick with Excel as I know mine would be picky and only eat the naughty bits if I used muesli. They tend to get 20g between them am and pm but most of the time I give them less, or I might skip the evening one, I like mixing up their routine sometimes as it means they get less reliant on nuggets and will eat more hay (bit of an issue with one of mine). They'll get a little veg most days and some dried forage. I also give fibafirst regularly too, they took a while to warm to it but love it now. The only thing you have to watch for is it can cause problems for buns who have bladder issues due to the calcium content.

We moved Archie and Pip to Beaphar nature rabbit pellets. Pip kept getting a gassy gurgling tummy on the excel junior, but no poopy butts.

They love their pellets, they are very large so it takes them a while to chew them. They have a very high fibre content too. :)

Sorry for not replying to you all sooner. Iv Spent most of the day up the hospital with my daughter as she broke her little toe 😞

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have been looking them all up as to content and ingredients through the day and think for the time being we will try the excel.

Mervinius- i liked sound of the beaphar :) but Harlequin and Beauty are only five months and it’s recomended for ten months and over. Will definantly take a look at it again in the future tho :D

I feed Science Selective Adult, Burgess Excel would be my second choice but I prefer SS because it has more fibre and protein and it isn't as crumbly, the rabbits seem to prefer it too. I've also heard of a lot more cases of diarrhoea with Excel than SS, but that's mainly for rabbits that already have quite sensitive stomachs. They each get a small handful of SS each day with curly kale or spring greens

comparison of most foods: http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

the best on the market is SS, but I worry about a choking risk due to how large the pellet is. excel is considered the second best. I think its something about the way that they're made but I can't recall why.

I personally wouldn't advise to feed muesli as selective feeding in any animal is dangerous as they're not having a balanced diet. I would suggest a pellet diet for all animals, even tiny hammies, although for the tiny robos they can be hard to find a good pellet for as most pellet is about as big as their paws!

every bunny is different, some bunnys even get a poopy butt on burgess, some on excel. every bunny is different.

generally its recommend 1 table spoon per KG of body weight a day, too much is bad but none at all wouldnt be good either.

RE the burgess indoor rabbit food, its "okay" but a bit of a marketing ploy. the issue is is that theres very little evidence that indoor rabbits have a vit D deficiency, most articles you find are from companies trying to sell their products. the most concerning thing however is that the product has way too many vitamins in them. I think vitamin D had double if not triple the amount of vitamin D a adult rabbit should have. fed long term and it could cause more health issues than not, so I would personally advise others to steer away from it.

I feed Science Selective Adult, Burgess Excel would be my second choice but I prefer SS because it has more fibre and protein and it isn't as crumbly, the rabbits seem to prefer it too. I've also heard of a lot more cases of diarrhoea with Excel than SS, but that's mainly for rabbits that already have quite sensitive stomachs. They each get a small handful of SS each day with curly kale or spring greens

My girls have sensative stomachs when it comes to fresh food but seem to do ok on pellets so I think we will try the excel for now so think we will give it a try. Will imediatly stop if there is any change in poops.

comparison of most foods: http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

the best on the market is SS, but I worry about a choking risk due to how large the pellet is. excel is considered the second best. I think its something about the way that they're made but I can't recall why.

I personally wouldn't advise to feed muesli as selective feeding in any animal is dangerous as they're not having a balanced diet. I would suggest a pellet diet for all animals, even tiny hammies, although for the tiny robos they can be hard to find a good pellet for as most pellet is about as big as their paws!

every bunny is different, some bunnys even get a poopy butt on burgess, some on excel. every bunny is different.

generally its recommend 1 table spoon per KG of body weight a day, too much is bad but none at all wouldnt be good either.

RE the burgess indoor rabbit food, its "okay" but a bit of a marketing ploy. the issue is is that theres very little evidence that indoor rabbits have a vit D deficiency, most articles you find are from companies trying to sell their products. the most concerning thing however is that the product has way too many vitamins in them. I think vitamin D had double if not triple the amount of vitamin D a adult rabbit should have. fed long term and it could cause more health issues than not, so I would personally advise others to steer away from it.

Thanks bC. The link gives me a good idea of what I can try if the excel isn’t right for the girls. I think I will steal clear of the science selective. Don’t like the idea of choking and as Beauty and Harlequin are both quiet small at still under a kg each I’m emagening it could be even more of a risk and when not hand feed they hover up pellets so think it’s best to stead clear.

Will also stead clear of the burgess indoor rabbit food. It’s awfull they try and stuff all that added unesercery stuff in there when it’s possibly going to do more halm then good. I read a few articles about humans taking more vitamins then needed and the damage it can do so I can emagen it be similar in animals :(

Last edited:
I feed excel pellets to mine, and in fact have always done so, and never had any problems with bunnies tummies on them. I give mine a tiny amount though, and also give them a couple of fibafirst sticks each too :thumb:

Science Selective here for everyone except one who can’t toleeate it for some reason. He’s on Wagg pellets. I’ve fed SS to tons of bunnies though and he’s the only one ever to have an issue with it.

Back