• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please re: spaying bunnies

Hello! :wave:

I've got two six month old bunnies who need to be spayed and I wondered if anyone had any good advice or tips on recovery. They currently live outside in a two-story hutch with a stair ramp and I'm worried about putting them in there with a risk that they might split their stitches. Has anyone had any experience of putting post-op bunnies into an outdoor hutch with a ramp?

Any advice would be appreciated! :love:

Thanks

Hello! :wave:

I've got two six month old bunnies who need to be spayed and I wondered if anyone had any good advice or tips on recovery. They currently live outside in a two-story hutch with a stair ramp and I'm worried about putting them in there with a risk that they might split their stitches. Has anyone had any experience of putting post-op bunnies into an outdoor hutch with a ramp?

Any advice would be appreciated! :love:

Thanks

Hi :)

I'd keep them inside in a small ish area for a week at least personally, and I wouldn't allow jumping or ramps for at least two weeks. (just what I do, others may do differently)

Tips for recovery.. I'd have critical care on hand, and the fat syringes for it - you can make a similar thing to critical care by soaking their pellets and making your own, but the fat syringe is always useful [emoji38] towels.. Lots of hand towels.. Vetbed.. I normally put puppy pads underneath the Vetbed so it keeps them dry so they never lay in wetness. Lots of nommy things they love to eat.. Can't think of anything else really right now :)

Thanks, Graciee! I've never heard the term 'critical care' before but I'm guessing you mean liquid food in case they are reluctant to eat at first? Good idea.
Would you separate them? I think they should be ok but I've been told to put them in separate cages next to each other.

Thanks, Graciee! I've never heard the term 'critical care' before but I'm guessing you mean liquid food in case they are reluctant to eat at first? Good idea.
Would you separate them? I think they should be ok but I've been told to put them in separate cages next to each other.

Yes sorry! Exactly that :)

Are they both together now?

I had two sister (well I think they are) who were together, I had them spayed together and kept them together afterwards :) if they're bonded I wouldn't separate personally, it makes watching for output a little tricky but worth it if they are bonded imo

Yes, they've been together since they were about 8 weeks old, although they're not sisters (one's a lionhead, one's a lop-ear). They get on well (although Gertie does try to mount Flopsy, which i hope will stop once they're spayed!). I don't think I'll have any problems keeping them together in one large cage.

Yes, they've been together since they were about 8 weeks old, although they're not sisters (one's a lionhead, one's a lop-ear). They get on well (although Gertie does try to mount Flopsy, which i hope will stop once they're spayed!). I don't think I'll have any problems keeping them together in one large cage.

Yea I'd definitely keep them together then :)

I got mine when they were 6 months old they look similar so I assume same litter but I have no way of knowing as they're rescues. They were fine together so I decided to vaccinate first because of all the RHD2 madness that's going on, but after vaccinating and the time that took to do both vaccines, they started nipping each other and mounting etc but as soon as they were spayed it never happened again :)

Mine were living in a two story hutch as their shelter too, I actually waited a month after they were spayed to put them back out in it, but only because one of mine had a small complication. My vet always says at least two weeks without over stretching and running around :)

I hope it goes well for your two cuties, you'll have to upload some pictures, they sound so sweet [emoji7]

Hello and welcome to the Forum. The Vet will probably advise that you keep your 2 bunnies indoors for a couple of nights as they can't regulate their temperature very well after a General Anaesthetic. If it were warmer at night then you would be ok putting them back in their hutch and you would have to block the ramp off so they could just have either the top or bottom layer, just for about 10 days when they probably will have their stitches out and the Vet will probably say they are ok to go up and down.

Thanks, Tonibun. I think I will bring them indoors and put them into a small pen for the first week or so until I feel happy that they won't risk their stitches bursting or get an infection. I've never had a female rabbit spayed before so this is all new to me! :?

My girls had a hutch with a ramp and upper level ( they are indoor buns though) which I achilly replaced with one made from NIC cubes which I was able to section up as i had to split them up befor hand. I gave them a fairly small area each nothing to jump on or over but gave them lots of stimulation with home made toys and hays ect. When we went back to the vets a week after the ops I was told they had healed exceptionally well probably due to the small space and no zoomies binkys or jumping.

Hope it all goes well for your two girls.

Also if you use critical care or mashed up pellets it may be an idea to get some baby food to mix in with it. The baby food makes it flow better in the syringe and gives it a bit more flavour and encourages eating. We use bellas kichen but some of the non brand ones work well to.

Thanks, Lisa. Using baby food is an interesting idea and one to bear in mind if they refuse their veggies. I'm hoping they'll eat their favourite herbs but Flopsy refused her food the other night because she was 'nesting'. I'll be glad when these phantom pregnancies stop!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Fingers crossed they will eat for you. Mine were nibbling really tiny amounts the first few days so suplemented with a few syringe feeds during the day as it really wasn’t enough.

I tend to keep baby food in the cuboard at all times just in case. We found that they liked the carrot one and the parsnip.

Fingers crossed they will eat for you. Mine were nibbling really tiny amounts the first few days so suplemented with a few syringe feeds during the day as it really wasn’t enough.

I tend to keep baby food in the cuboard at all times just in case. We found that they liked the carrot one and the parsnip.
Mee tooo! The apples apples apples and the banana banana banana ones from Ella's kitchen are adored here :D I used to mix Clementines tramadol with it, because it tastes yucky, and she used to take it right out of the syringe, such a good little patient [emoji7]

Mee tooo! The apples apples apples and the banana banana banana ones from Ella's kitchen are adored here :D I used to mix Clementines tramadol with it, because it tastes yucky, and she used to take it right out of the syringe, such a good little patient [emoji7]

I wish mine would take meds like Clementine instead they just fight the tinyest bit less :lol:

Such a good girl :D

I wish mine would take meds like Clementine instead they just fight the tinyest bit less [emoji38]

Such a good girl :D
Yea Clementine and Penelope take meds like they're treats, just have to stick the syringe near them and they take it [emoji38] Atticus and Apricot... Well... You'd think I was trying to kill them... [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

My bunnies take a few days for the anesthesia to get out of their system. Someone else may have already recommended this, yet it is important that your vet prescribes some pain medication because a bunny in pain will not eat and it is important to keep them eating/drinking. Also, some bunnies required supplemental heat,

Yea Clementine and Penelope take meds like they're treats, just have to stick the syringe near them and they take it [emoji38] Atticus and Apricot... Well... You'd think I was trying to kill them... [emoji38]

If only :lol: :lol:

Beauty and Harlequin are more like Atticus and Apricot :lol: :lol:

If only [emoji38] [emoji38]

Beauty and Harlequin are more like Atticus and Apricot [emoji38] [emoji38]
Yeaaa buns are amazing but also a nightmare rolled into one far too cute package [emoji38][emoji38]

Thanks for all the comments! Love hearing about your bunnies!

Bunny momma--I'll definitely be making sure Gert and Flopsy get enough pain killers! I can already picture the look Gert will give me when she gets back from the Vet (a cross between suspicion and utter disdain! :evil:).

Back