• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I cut down on my Rabbit Waste? - U?Date 08.04

Thanks for your replies. I do have a lot of 32 L underbed storage boxes which I know they like but I might have to go to smaller litter trays. I could also use shavings which I don't want to do as it is the newspaper which takes up the room in the black bags. I wouldn't burn anything as there are too many neighbours around and it isn't good for the rabbits or me. We have an allotment just down the path from me, maybe I could ask there . I wouldn't be able to take it there though as it's on a path not too near a road.

I used to use 32L boxes too, then I found a slightly smaller box in homebase that works well too

https://www.homebase.co.uk/wham-23l-storage-box-and-lime-green-lid_p276037

It's 23L but still big enough for rabbits to fit easily

But my rabbits are both solo, I don't think the tray is big enough to accomodate two rabbits at once.

This is lilly in her tray, although it's massively over-filled with hay today (she's 2kg)
IMAG0198.jpg

Last edited:
Frustrating, isn't it! I understand that they don't want cat and dog poo in it [emoji23][emoji23] but small animal waste..... when they refused to take it, if left me with a fortnight's worth of waste to get rid of elsewhere.

We have 3 wheelie bins now (blue for mixed recycling, brown for garden/food waste and green for non-recyclables)
Wait no dog poop..? What you do with it then? :S

Ours used to go in black bags, in the black bags [emoji38] we only have wheelie bins for garden waste here, the rest are bags [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wait no dog poop..? What you do with it then? :S

Ours used to go in black bags, in the black bags [emoji38] we only have wheelie bins for garden waste here, the rest are bags [emoji38]

Dog and cat poop is bagged up and goes in the green bin which is for general rubbish (so anything that can't be put in the blue or brown bin to be recycled). We don't have much waste tbh as they're all raw fed so poo is tiny, hard and doesn't smell anywhere near as much. When our big dog was on dry food though we used to put his poo mountains in the dog bin just a few houses down along our back alley to avoid stinking the bin out. :lol::lol: We don't pay for any of the bins and they're all collected weekly (well, if they turn up that is).

It's weird how there are so many different systems - I can think of 3 or 4 different variations all within probably a half hour driving radius of where we live.

Dog and cat poop is bagged up and goes in the green bin which is for general rubbish (so anything that can't be put in the blue or brown bin to be recycled). We don't have much waste tbh as they're all raw fed so poo is tiny, hard and doesn't smell anywhere near as much. When our big dog was on dry food though we used to put his poo mountains in the dog bin just a few houses down along our back alley to avoid stinking the bin out. [emoji38][emoji38] We don't pay for any of the bins and they're all collected weekly (well, if they turn up that is).

It's weird how there are so many different systems - I can think of 3 or 4 different variations all within probably a half hour driving radius of where we live.
Wow that's definitely a selling point for feeding raw! You've convinced me! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea exactly you're probably that far from me yet totally different system!

So you don't even pay for garden waste bins? :eek:

I used to use 32L boxes too, then I found a slightly smaller box in homebase that works well too

https://www.homebase.co.uk/wham-23l-storage-box-and-lime-green-lid_p276037

It's 23L but still big enough for rabbits to fit easily

But my rabbits are both solo, I don't think the tray is big enough to accomodate two rabbits at once.

This is lilly in her tray, although it's massively over-filled with hay today (she's 2kg)
IMAG0198.jpg

Lovely bunny! Actually that looks the same size as mine but most of my rabbits are in pairs and quite a lot have 2 litter trays,abig one and a smaller one.

Why is it that you don't use sawdust / wood flakes?

I find that quite often they will wee only in one corner of the litter tray and so I only have to change about 25% of the wood flakes and can keep and reuse the rest.

I find that quite often they will wee only in one corner of the litter tray and so I only have to change about 25% of the wood flakes and can keep and reuse the rest.
Most are dangerous to buns, they give off a chemical which is poisonous and can cause respiratory issues IIRC aspen is the only safe one I think. The one in pets at home is definitely not safe, as it's made from soft woods that produce the bad chemicals :(

what graciee said, and they're generally very dusty too. I've had respiratory infections in small furries and some sneezing from the buns when I used it. I use wood pellet cat litter now. however because I have a large under bed storage box as a litter tray, all I do is pick up the thrown around hay, then get a dustpan and scoop out the wet bedding and pick out the poop. if I was to throw it all out I'd have a huge wastage as probably 50% of the litter is okay, or just pooped on :) before I had the tiny corner ones and I'd have to throw out everything, and they still peed over the edge as the tray got "too full" even after a day of usage with two buns. with the larger litter I usually do a "big" clean every three days, and then spot clean in between (picking up soiled hay, picking up some poops and wet bedding if necessary).

Most are dangerous to buns, they give off a chemical which is poisonous and can cause respiratory issues IIRC aspen is the only safe one I think. The one in pets at home is definitely not safe, as it's made from soft woods that produce the bad chemicals :(

I have to say I'm pretty sceptical of such a warning. Given how little time they spend in a litter tray and how it's not an enclosed area.

I have to say I'm pretty sceptical of such a warning. Given how little time they spend in a litter tray and how it's not an enclosed area.
Well it has been proven they give off a chemical that's toxic. So personally that's enough for me to steer clear, especially when there's wood or paper bedding which is a great alternative, more absorbant and smells way better imo :)

These warnings about woodshavings have been around for years. I've never really seen conclusive proof, but I just prefer not to take the risk. Shavings are far too dusty anyway though, I think.

These warnings about woodshavings have been around for years. I've never really seen conclusive proof, but I just prefer not to take the risk. Shavings are far too dusty anyway though, I think.
That's true also, I thought I read somewhere it had been tested and they gave off the chemical... I can't remember! Was a few years ago now that I probably looked into it, before that I was using it.

Either way I agree, I'm always like why risk it, plus the dust is bad anyway for them.

Apart from it being dusty, when wet it gives off Phenols which can cause liver problems. Why PAH use them all the time I don't know.

Wow that's definitely a selling point for feeding raw! You've convinced me! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea exactly you're probably that far from me yet totally different system!

So you don't even pay for garden waste bins? :eek:

Haha, scooping poop is never a fun job but raw-fed poops are so firm I don't even need to scrub the patio!

We don't pay any extra for any waste collection; it's all included in the council tax. 3 wheelie bins in the garden are a bit of an eyesore but at least it's all contained and no worry of bags ripping.

We use a clumping wood-based litter for our cat and it's really economical. I wonder if something like that would be suitable & safe for rabbits. It may cut down on waste as you can just scoop out the lumps.

Haha, scooping poop is never a fun job but raw-fed poops are so firm I don't even need to scrub the patio!

We don't pay any extra for any waste collection; it's all included in the council tax. 3 wheelie bins in the garden are a bit of an eyesore but at least it's all contained and no worry of bags ripping.

We use a clumping wood-based litter for our cat and it's really economical. I wonder if something like that would be suitable & safe for rabbits. It may cut down on waste as you can just scoop out the lumps.

Yep definitely sold! [emoji38] Do you feed the natures own stuff? I saw they do bags that are frozen.

Ah my green bin (garden waste) needs renewing for the house, it's expensive, and they only collect every 2 weeks [emoji849]

Yea I've always wondered about clumping wood litter for buns, I've always thought no.. But I don't actually know if it's a good or bad idea [emoji38]

I think cedar shavings are supposed to be worse than pine. I can't think what our shavings in the UK are normally made of. Pine? I've never really taken much of an interest, because I've always chosen not to use them.

Can't dump it as that would be fly-tipping and if the man who takes some of my bags took all he usually charges £1.00 per bag.

Oh I didn't mean just dump it anywhere, I meant if someone wanted it and had a lot of space at an allotment or something then it could just be collected using a large wheelie bin (no bags) and dumped in a corner.

Yeah having that man take it wouldn't do any good really. You'd still be using bags so same amount of waste and you'd be having to pay someone to collect it.

Do they ever even declare what kind of wood goes into those wood based cat litters? Aren't they just compressed sawdust?

Could you use megazorb and just scoop out the wee’d on bits, I wonder? I use megazorb and have done for years as nothing else compares, but I do full tray cleans every day so I’m not sure whether it would work to do part cleans..

Back