• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neutered male carrying hay in his mouth and thumping

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
So for about the last hour my (neutered for three months) male rabbit has been carrying a mouthful of hay around his pen and digging and thumping.All abit odd.His friend,a neutered female is watching him looking abit puzzled.They have been in a smaller pen for a couple of weeks while I redecorate their room.Its smaller than their usual home but they have adapted to it fine until this behaviour today.Its hay lined as their normal pen is.He seems quite stressed.Im worried the paint smell might be upsetting him although they are well away from the room being painted.Is it hormonal/spring/stress behaviour?There is no aggression from him.What could be causing this?Has anyone else seen this?!

It's quite common for males to go through spring fever, and take up excessively hi. They also tend to hump more when you change their environment. I'd suggest watching him for a few days, but he may calm down once back in their old space :)

Thankyou for your post.I hadn't seen that behaviour before and even his little bunny wife was:shock:!!
He seems fine now.Hopefully hes happier!

I had a half wildie boy who carried a piece of vet bed around in his mouth. From upstairs in a 2 story hutch, downstairs and then down 8ft of runaround tunnel :lol: then he used to dig at it and hump it :shock: :roll:

I had a half wildie boy who carried a piece of vet bed around in his mouth. From upstairs in a 2 story hutch, downstairs and then down 8ft of runaround tunnel :lol: then he used to dig at it and hump it :shock: :roll:
Hahaha!Makes you wonder what goes through their minds!

Back