• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice for Oliver and new friend Gracie

nicki

Warren Scout
I lost my lovely rabbit Libby a few weeks ago.

Oliver my 8 year old was struggling and I found Gracie (around 4) at a rescue. She is an absolute sweetie and is doing well. She has a history of being kept in a small pen and being fed a lot of pellets - but responding well to my healthy eating plan.

Oliver and Gracie have been in a neutral bonding pen in my lounge since yesterday.

There is lots of good stuff going on - flopping out facing each other with a small gap, washing themselves, eating together/sharing food, sleeping and generally comfortable together.

However, Oliver is still struggling a bit with Gracie in very close proximity and is tending to lunge or chase a little but not nip. I think he is actually anxious. She is being submissive and seems to sense when to back off and when to lean out towards him.

He is approaching her more comfortably though (He behaved exactly the same way when I bonded him with Libby so clearly has not mellowed)

They have made good progress but I have work tomorrow.

I can either put them back into side by side living with wire mesh and give it another go next weekend but will obviously go back quite a few steps which is fine.

or try them in a cleaned out and rearranged home, see how they manage and separate them only if needed.

Any thoughts?

Nicki

Or I could leave them in the bonding pen as doing really well in there -may be least stessful option

Sorry no-one got back to you yesterday. I myself was bonding my 7 yr old girl to a 2 yr old boy. It is absolutely normal for the boy to chase the girl but this dies down in a day or so. As long as there is no fighting then I would be tempted to leave them together. I left my 2 together in a big shed as there had been no aggression all day, just a bit of chasing. They had eaten together so I am fairly optimistic they are going to settle down with each other. I am glad you found a girl for your boy and hope they will be very happy.

Thanks for getting back to me Tonibun.

I left them in the pen overnigjht and whilst at work and we seem to be getting there.

Now back in the shed both very excited with new layout.

Bit of tension with grooming but both doing it and tolerance level from Oliver much improved.

Just sharing some coriander so looking good.

Nickix

Im sorry you lost Libby :cry: I’m glad things seem to be going well, sorry your thread got missed before :cry:

Back