• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice- rabbit not eating pellets

Hi, my rabbit Cleo lost her partner back in December from a tumour in the throat. Since then she’s been on her own and doing well as she’s very human social.
However this week I noticed she has not been finishing her pellets- I didn’t think much of it as she’s pooping, peeing and acting herself.
However she now won’t eat pellets at all (will eat fengureek crunchies) but not her pellets and still is eating hay and herbs.
Her poops are regular, her pee appears normal, but I found this odd as Cleo has always loved pellets- so I took her to the vet Wednesday.
He checked her teeth- all fine, he checked her stomach, wasn’t reactive at first, eyes and chest clear, however when he felt her back she tremmorwd and was reactive and when he felt her stomach a second time she was slightly reactive.
He injected pain meds and gut stimulant incase and said he wasn’t entirely sure what was up with her as she’s still jumping around onto my bed and running about- but was reactive to her back being examined etc.
That night she was a little more stroppy than usual- but that could just be the vet trip. Yesterday her painkiller that they gave me was started and she was her usual self- however still not interested in pellets what so ever.
Today I went to the pet shop to buy a diff brand, dandelion flavoured pellets- usually she would go mad for pellets but again not interested, but still eating hay and fengureek crunchy from me.
I am unsure what to do. She has a few days worth of painkiller.
She is acting in herself pretty much usual, she’s more active at night and will join me on my end for cuddles - eating hay and poops normal- but not eating pellets.
If it was just not eating pellets I wouldn’t be so worried, but as her back exam had a reaction I am unsure what’s wrong. She’s hopping about as normal, jumping up on my bed- I know she’s more comfortable with the metacam- however she was jumping up before the meds.
What dose this sound like?
Vet said bring back next day if gets worse, but she didn’t- she took her meds semi okay and is eating hay and pooping- she has pain meds until Monday.
What could be up with her back - she’s hopping and jumping as normal. I’m clueless- just wondering if anyone could offer advice.

Many thanks

Jenny 👩🏼 and Cleo 🐰

Hi, my rabbit Cleo lost her partner back in December from a tumour in the throat. Since then she’s been on her own and doing well as she’s very human social.
However this week I noticed she has not been finishing her pellets- I didn’t think much of it as she’s pooping, peeing and acting herself.
However she now won’t eat pellets at all (will eat fengureek crunchies) but not her pellets and still is eating hay and herbs.
Her poops are regular, her pee appears normal, but I found this odd as Cleo has always loved pellets- so I took her to the vet Wednesday.
He checked her teeth- all fine, he checked her stomach, wasn’t reactive at first, eyes and chest clear, however when he felt her back she tremmorwd and was reactive and when he felt her stomach a second time she was slightly reactive.
He injected pain meds and gut stimulant incase and said he wasn’t entirely sure what was up with her as she’s still jumping around onto my bed and running about- but was reactive to her back being examined etc.
That night she was a little more stroppy than usual- but that could just be the vet trip. Yesterday her painkiller that they gave me was started and she was her usual self- however still not interested in pellets what so ever.
Today I went to the pet shop to buy a diff brand, dandelion flavoured pellets- usually she would go mad for pellets but again not interested, but still eating hay and fengureek crunchy from me.
She is acting in herself pretty much usual, she’s more active at night and will join me on my end for cuddles - eating hay and poops normal- but not eating pellets.
If it was just not eating pellets I wouldn’t be so worried, but as her back exam had a reaction I am unsure what’s wrong. She’s hopping about as normal, jumping up on my bed- I know she’s more comfortable with the metacam- however she was jumping up before the meds.
Vet said bring back next day if gets worse, but she didn’t- she took her meds semi okay and is eating hay and pooping- she has pain meds until Monday.
What could be up with her back - she’s hopping and jumping as normal. I’m clueless- just wondering if anyone could offer advice.

Many thanks

Jenny ���� and Cleo ��

Did the Vet check Cleo's ears ? Rabbits with ear pain often go off pellet feeds x

Many thanks

Jenny ���� and Cleo ��

Hi Jenny

I am sorry to hear that you're worried about Cleo

There are several reasons for a bunny to stop eating pellets. One is dental. Although a vet can see most of the mouth, unless the vet is capable of doing dentals without sedation they won't be able to see right to the back of the mouth properly.

Another reason could be mycotoxins in the pellets, i.e. a contaminate of some sort. Trying a new batch would establish whether this is the cause.

Also, if a rabbit has ear pain this can inhibit their 'chomping' on pellets as it will cause pain.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Hi Jenny

I am sorry to hear that you're worried about Cleo

There are several reasons for a bunny to stop eating pellets. One is dental. Although a vet can see most of the mouth, unless the vet is capable of doing dentals without sedation they won't be able to see right to the back of the mouth properly.

Another reason could be mycotoxins in the pellets, i.e. a contaminate of some sort. Trying a new batch would establish whether this is the cause.

Also, if a rabbit has ear pain this can inhibit their 'chomping' on pellets as it will cause pain.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Thank you.

I bought new pellets today, but she wasn’t interested, but she’s eating treats that are just as hard as the pellets so I don’t see why she can eat hard treats like fengureek crunchies and not pellets that are softer.

As I say her back was reactive to examination and when he pressed down the spine in her to exam- much like my dog who was arrhritic and needed regular medication- but Cleo is moving about okay- so I don’t understand.

I previously had a rabbit who needed a few dentals in the past and successfully done at the vets- but they always dribbled and also went off all foods.

Could it be some kind of cancer? I hate suggesting it- but would cancer make her go off pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I bought new pellets today, but she wasn’t interested, but she’s eating treats that are just as hard as the pellets so I don’t see why she can eat hard treats like fengureek crunchies and not pellets that are softer.

As I say her back was reactive to examination and when he pressed down the spine in her to exam- much like my dog who was arrhritic and needed regular medication- but Cleo is moving about okay- so I don’t understand.

I previously had a rabbit who needed a few dentals in the past and successfully done at the vets- but they always dribbled and also went off all foods.

Could it be some kind of cancer? I hate suggesting it- but would cancer make her go off pellets?

Highly unlikely.

Is she drinking her normal amount ? If she drinks from a sipper bottle offer her a bowl of water too. A Rabbit who has a reduced water intake may go off their hard feed x

Highly unlikely.

Is she drinking her normal amount ? If she drinks from a sipper bottle offer her a bowl of water too. A Rabbit who has a reduced water intake may go off their hard feed x

Yes she’s drinking great. She’s a bowl drinker not a bottle drinker anyway.
She’s also eating herbs (she doesn’t like other veg- never has).

Thank you.

You're very welcome.

I really don't think that she has gone off her pellets because of cancer.
Certainly don't worry about that.

You're very welcome.

I really don't think that she has gone off her pellets because of cancer.
Certainly don't worry about that.

I just don’t understand what’s causing the back pain- she seems to be moving about okay.

If it was she’s gone off the pellets I would say she’s down and lonely after loosing Miles her partner. She’s waiting to be matched up with another bunny- but obvs while she’s under treatment that will be put aside.
She’s on a 10kg dog daily dose of Meloxicam.

Thanks.

I just don’t understand what’s causing the back pain- she seems to be moving about okay.

If it was she’s gone off the pellets I would say she’s down and lonely after loosing Miles her partner. She’s waiting to be matched up with another bunny- but obvs while she’s under treatment that will be put aside.
She’s on a 10kg dog daily dose of Meloxicam.

Thanks.

Can she have a spinal X Ray?

Can she have a spinal X Ray?

Yes I will ask for one when I go back Monday with her. Would her back pain be stopping her wanting to eat pellets?
She’s seemingly comfortable on the metacam.
Do you think it’s worth taking her back to Vets tomorrow? Or wait till Monday when the meds are due to stop?

Yes I will ask for one when I go back Monday with her. Would her back pain be stopping her wanting to eat pellets?
She’s seemingly comfortable on the metacam.
Do you think it’s worth taking her back to Vets tomorrow? Or wait till Monday when the meds are due to stop?

I would try and talk with the vet about your concerns prior to Monday and see what they say. If you can get a vet on the phone this evening so much the better but I guess that may be unlikely. It might be an idea to suggest the spinal X Ray then?

Even before a diagnosis, you could ask about adding in Tramadol pain killer to help her perhaps?

I would try and talk with the vet about your concerns prior to Monday and see what they say. If you can get a vet on the phone this evening so much the better but I guess that may be unlikely. It might be an idea to suggest the spinal X Ray then?

Even before a diagnosis, you could ask about adding in Tramadol pain killer to help her perhaps?

Thank you, I shall see what they say.

Update on Cleo- She saw another vet who used a scope and looked round her mouth and found spurrs.
Tuesday Cleo has a dental and came home that evening. She was a bit unsteady on her feet when she came home - so I left her and offered butterbead lettuce and basil- and she ate some veg and pooped and peed.

She isn’t interested in pellets still - it’s been about 24 hours since she came home but is alert and eating hay and quite herself again apart from the pellets.

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with Cleo, I hope you get to the bottom of it. I'm in a similar situation with one of my rabbits. Has had teeth checked under sedation, ears checked, stomach felt etc and found nothing so far! Tried new bags, he goes on and off them!

She will be getting one soon but she’s moving about fine now and wasn’t reactive when examined on Tuesday - she’s jumping about and running around like nothing. She’s back to her playful self. The vet said it will take a few days before she’s back to probs eating as she did as her mouth may be a bit tender from where the spurrs were- but I have meloxicam in if she needs it.
As I type this she is running through her toy tent ⛺😊

She’s eating pellets- I wish I could upload a pic. Super happy ��

Excellent !! I really hope that all will remain well now. Has the Vet given you any advice re adjusting her diet to make sure it is based on at least 80%-90% hay ? A mostly hay diet (different types of hay/grasses/forages etc) is the best thing to keep Dental issues at bay and to promote a good GI tract motility.

These links may be helpful to take a look at

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

Yes the vet said feed 90 percent hay- she isn’t a veg eater except for basil and mint and she eats lots of forage. She just gets a small amount of pellets daily- about 10 SS pellets a day.

Back