• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice about cherry eye UPDATE its an ULCER

Been back to the vets. She removed the scab from the 3rd eyelid. Which made me a bit eww. I really don't do eyes.
Carry on with tear drops and antibiotic drops. I've ordered Remend online.
He goes again Tuesday when she's pondering if it's of value to either stitch the 3rd eyelid across or stitch his eyelid to allow the cornea to heal.

In himself he's doing ok. Swiped a good 3rd of a banana from me this morning and ate some pellet mush.

I am glad he's feeling well in himself.

I hope he heals up fast.

:love:
Thank you everyone.
In my 'normal world' I am the only one with rabbits so as much as friends go 'Oh dear' they dont get it.

I really appreciate the wonderful advice and the 'Its all ok, heres my experience' that you are giving me.

Poor old Ozzie, every time I go near Im either doing something to his eye or wafting food under his nose to tempt him, he must be throughly cheesed off with me

Once again thank you, x

So back again to the vets with Ozzie and now also one of the cats, shes ok, just a virus.

Ozzie has gained 150g.
His 3rd eyelid was pushed out when the abcess was behind his eye, then its kind of stayed there and swollen up. Then theres the corneal ulcer actually on his eye.

He now has remend gel as often as I can get it in, then viscotears, again as often as possible. Then we have a steroid drop which I have to cover the rest of his eye and only put a dot on the 3rd eyelid lump. I cant get it on his eye because they dont work well with ulcers. Also steroids and rabbits isnt a great match but as its topical and its a dot we have no other option really.

The decision atm is against a 3rd GA and pulling the 3rd eyelid over complete with lump because that then stops us being able to administer drops. So hes still on hourly drops when I am home plus his loxicom.

In other news, the new roof has currently stopped leaking, because its not raining! The new kitchen is nearly sorted, final day with joiner this week. My bad back is giving me jip unsurprisingly but the plus of all this stress is I have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks because my stomach is in knots all the time.
Im like a duck on the pond, on the surface I look to be doing ok but Im paddling like hell beneath the water.

So back again to the vets with Ozzie and now also one of the cats, shes ok, just a virus.

Ozzie has gained 150g.
His 3rd eyelid was pushed out when the abcess was behind his eye, then its kind of stayed there and swollen up. Then theres the corneal ulcer actually on his eye.

He now has remend gel as often as I can get it in, then viscotears, again as often as possible. Then we have a steroid drop which I have to cover the rest of his eye and only put a dot on the 3rd eyelid lump. I cant get it on his eye because they dont work well with ulcers. Also steroids and rabbits isnt a great match but as its topical and its a dot we have no other option really.

The decision atm is against a 3rd GA and pulling the 3rd eyelid over complete with lump because that then stops us being able to administer drops. So hes still on hourly drops when I am home plus his loxicom.

In other news, the new roof has currently stopped leaking, because its not raining! The new kitchen is nearly sorted, final day with joiner this week. My bad back is giving me jip unsurprisingly but the plus of all this stress is I have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks because my stomach is in knots all the time.
Im like a duck on the pond, on the surface I look to be doing ok but Im paddling like hell beneath the water.

Oh goodness you certainly have a lot to be coping with at the moment. I really hope that Ozzie will remain as comfortable as possible with the treatment he is receiving. I am sorry to hear that you have a poorly cat too and to top it all off you have a bad back :cry: Life does seem to throw a load of :censored: at us all at the same time doen't it :? :cry:

Sending multiple vibes !! xx

I just want to say I deeply sympathize with the eye treatment. I've had to do something similar for my dog last year and treating him every few hours was HELL (he hated it and began to run as soon as he was seeing the bottles), I can't imagine doing this with a bunny . The good news is that it was super efficient on my dog. It only took a few days to show improvement and his eye was as good as new after the end of the treatment. I hope it works as well for Ozzie!

I just want to say I deeply sympathize with the eye treatment. I've had to do something similar for my dog last year and treating him every few hours was HELL (he hated it and began to run as soon as he was seeing the bottles), I can't imagine doing this with a bunny . The good news is that it was super efficient on my dog. It only took a few days to show improvement and his eye was as good as new after the end of the treatment. I hope it works as well for Ozzie!

Thanks thats good to hear.
Ozzie has been at the vets 3 times a week all of March. Last Thursday we went and she said to come next Wednesday, so that must be progress.
The ulcer is staying the same but at least its not getting worse.
The steroid drops are now twice a day instead of 3 on the 3rd eyelid bit. Thats the most difficult bit as I am so scared of getting it on his eye. The big pink cherry eyelid he had is now nearly flat and although not looking as if its shrinking back it is enabling him to attempt to close his eye.

Hes gaining weight everytime which I am more than happy with, still on soft pellets and bits and pieces of veg and a little bit of fruit.

I think we may just be getting there, fingers crossed. Hes happy, Stan is happy having him with him so we will keep going

I’m so glad he is feeling happy in himself and making some progress. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Back